Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2023, 07:11 AM

469 posts, read 434,103 times

Advertisements

Here’s a very positive feature on the Kelce brothers and Cleveland Heights, published in the Kansas City Star, within the context of the brothers squaring off against each other in the upcoming Super Bowl.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...272172353.html

Article should be available without paywall, but can’t guarantee it.

Lots of recognizable local landmarks, and presents the community in a positive vibe to a national audience. Wish they hadn’t picked the “5 below zero” wind chill day, but oh well…

Last edited by SlideRules99; 02-09-2023 at 07:21 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2023, 09:15 AM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Played hockey with Travis growing up at Heights. In our Bantam AA year, dude was probably like idk 6 ft 2, 200 pounds at 13 years old, nobody could slow him down. I think he scored 80 goals that year, leading us to the city championship. He didn't play hockey at all in high school, going with basketball during winter, which he was also a beast at. But I always wonder what his hockey potential would have been. Jason played at Heights High and I remember going up against him. He was terrifying. You did not want to get hit by Jason, nor did you particularly want to hit him, you lose that battle every time.

Anyway, that is to say that they are both incredible and Travis is the best athlete I've ever personally seen in my life.

Old 02-09-2023, 12:28 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Here’s a very positive feature on the Kelce brothers and Cleveland Heights, published in the Kansas City Star, within the context of the brothers squaring off against each other in the upcoming Super Bowl.

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/nf...272172353.html

Article should be available without paywall, but can’t guarantee it.

Lots of recognizable local landmarks, and presents the community in a positive vibe to a national audience. Wish they hadn’t picked the “5 below zero” wind chill day, but oh well…

Great article. Thanks for posting (I can't give you more cred right now). I hit a paywall when I used your link, but did a Google search, and clicked on the article, and avoided the paywall. Great PR, and certainly a fun aspect of this year's Super Bowl. It's almost certain that CH will get some love during the broadcast, perhaps even a video segment!

The following paragraph in the article is a little questionable IMO. I'm certain persons from Cleveland Heights just refer to the city as the "Heights," because they can't just say Shaker, etc. (is it my imagination, or do University Heights natives refer to their city as UH?). However, there are contexts, such as sometimes in this forum, when the Heights are used collectively, especially when referring to Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and University Heights. Admittedly, if someone said they were from the Heights, I would guess they meant Cleveland Heights, but I might ask if I wanted to make certain. Also, many persons in northeast Ohio wouldn't know what is meant by the "Heights," at least before the Kelce promotions. Growing up, I actually had a good friend who moved to CH from Lake County, so I became familiar with the city even before high school, and it was very different from any place in Lake County!

<<“There’s only one Heights,” said James Settle, Travis’ pal since high school, a tight end when Travis was quarterback, and who now works in finance in Columbus. “If you say The Heights anywhere around Cleveland or northeast Ohio, everyone knows what it is. That’s not Shaker Heights or University Heights or Broadview Heights. It’s The Heights.”>>

Hey, SR, are you displaying a yellow light? Are most persons? If so, is must freak out persons driving through CH not knowing what's going on, as yellow often equates with "caution/danger."

This is the coolest revelation in the article, when discussing Quintana's Barber Shop:

<<In fact, upstairs from the shop, the Quintanas run a speakeasy, a fancy bar accessed by way of a button that opens a moving bookcase.>> SR, or Jimmy, ever been?

Too bad the article didn't emphasize the CH proximity to University Circle, Little Italy, Coventry neighborhood (not mentioning Harvey Pekar and "American Splendor" is a big miss), or mass transit access to downtown.

Last edited by WRnative; 02-09-2023 at 01:20 PM..

Old 02-09-2023, 01:11 PM

11,061 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quintana's is great and almost nobody knows about it. Very unassuming spot across from that strip mall on South Taylor.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:17 PM

4,665 posts, read 4,977,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Great article. Thanks for posting (I can't give you more cred right now). I hit a paywall when I used your link, but did a Google search, and clicked on the article, and avoided the paywall. Great PR, and certainly a fun aspect of this year's Super Bowl. It's almost certain that CH will get some love during the broadcast, perhaps even a video segment!

The following paragraph in the article is a little questionable IMO. I'm certain persons from Cleveland Heights just refer to the city as the "Heights," because they can't just say Shaker, etc. (is it my imagination, or do University Heights natives refer to their city as UH?). However, there are contexts, such as sometimes in this forum, when the Heights are used collectively, especially when referring to Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and University Heights. Admittedly, if someone said they were from the Heights, I would guess they meant Cleveland Heights, but I might ask if I wanted to make certain. Also, many persons in northeast Ohio wouldn't know what is meant by the "Heights," at least before the Kelce promotions. Growing up, I actually had a good friend who moved there from Lake County.

<<“There’s only one Heights,” said James Settle, Travis’ pal since high school, a tight end when Travis was quarterback, and who now works in finance in Columbus. “If you say The Heights anywhere around Cleveland or northeast Ohio, everyone knows what it is. That’s not Shaker Heights or University Heights or Broadview Heights. It’s The Heights.”>>

Hey, SR, are you displaying a yellow light? Are most persons? If so, is must freak out persons driving through CH not knowing what's going on, as yellow often equates with "caution/danger."

This is the coolest revelation in the article, when discussing Quintana's Barber Shop:

<<In fact, upstairs from the shop, the Quintanas run a speakeasy, a fancy bar accessed by way of a button that opens a moving bookcase.>> SR, or Jimmy, ever been?

Too bad the article didn't emphasize the CH proximity to University Circle, Little Italy, Coventry neighborhood (not mentioning Harvey Pekar and "American Splendor" is a big miss), or mass transit access to downtown.
As an alum of a rival LEL school, I will confirm for you, "Heights" or "Heights High" or "the Heights" means Cleveland Heights.

Old 02-09-2023, 01:24 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Played hockey with Travis growing up at Heights. In our Bantam AA year, dude was probably like idk 6 ft 2, 200 pounds at 13 years old, nobody could slow him down. I think he scored 80 goals that year, leading us to the city championship. He didn't play hockey at all in high school, going with basketball during winter, which he was also a beast at. But I always wonder what his hockey potential would have been. Jason played at Heights High and I remember going up against him. He was terrifying. You did not want to get hit by Jason, nor did you particularly want to hit him, you lose that battle every time.

Anyway, that is to say that they are both incredible and Travis is the best athlete I've ever personally seen in my life.

Pro quality athletes stand out even among Div. I athletes. I went to college with one who eventually became an ABA rookie-of-the year. I remember him scoring 10 points in one minute of a game, before the 3-point shot.

I can't imagine playing against a future pro growing up.

Great personal insights. Thanks for posting!

Last edited by WRnative; 02-09-2023 at 02:01 PM..

Old 02-09-2023, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Quintana's is great and almost nobody knows about it. Very unassuming spot across from that strip mall on South Taylor.
Shhhhh…lol.

Yeah, I also go to Quintana’s, both for haircuts and for the speak-easy. Great drinks, if you know the secret entrance method.

Old 02-10-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post

The following paragraph in the article is a little questionable IMO. I'm certain persons from Cleveland Heights just refer to the city as the "Heights," because they can't just say Shaker, etc. (is it my imagination, or do University Heights natives refer to their city as UH?). However, there are contexts, such as sometimes in this forum, when the Heights are used collectively, especially when referring to Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and University Heights. Admittedly, if someone said they were from the Heights, I would guess they meant Cleveland Heights, but I might ask if I wanted to make certain. Also, many persons in northeast Ohio wouldn't know what is meant by the "Heights," at least before the Kelce promotions. Growing up, I actually had a good friend who moved to CH from Lake County, so I became familiar with the city even before high school, and it was very different from any place in Lake County!

I’ve heard “Heights” used both as a stand-alone for CH, and as a collective term for CH/UH/SH.

Certainly there are many businesses in all three communities who make use of “Heights” in their business names.

I listen to WJCU radio, aka “The Heights” radio, based out of UH / John Carroll.

That said, like you, I would assume the default for “Heights” to mean CH.

It is a clear exaggeration to state that everyone in NE OH knows exactly what is meant by “The Heights” as Travis’ pal states in the article. I grew up in Warren, played high school sports there. If our coach announced at the end of practice that we’re going to scrimmage “The Heights”…I would’ve had no clue as to what that meant. Possibly we would have assumed a road trip to Pittsburgh…lol.

Old 02-10-2023, 03:21 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
I live in Shaker Hts...we just term the whole area as "The Heights"...Shaker, Cleveland, University, and Warrensville Hts all border each other...Lyndhurst is between UH and Mayfield Hts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland