Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2020, 06:27 PM

210 posts, read 173,808 times

Advertisements

I've read this article and I'm confused. Is the PD as a print paper being shut down? Or is it really that they are combining 2 legacy news organizations into one?

Help...

https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...ossible-choice
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2020, 11:44 PM

170 posts, read 106,393 times
They've been pushing leftist nonsense for years through their newspaper and Cleveland.com, essentially turning the entire organization into a joke. They had this coming.

Old 04-07-2020, 11:59 PM

4,530 posts, read 5,098,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D231 View Post
They've been pushing leftist nonsense for years through their newspaper and Cleveland.com, essentially turning the entire organization into a joke. They had this coming.
For one thing, the PD has a history of leaning to the right, at least editorially and, in recent years, they've had their weekly editorial roundtable where editors from the left and right would opine on various issues. Kevin O'Brien, who left a year or so ago, was a hardcore conservative opinion writer and he was replaced by a guy with similar views. The paper had endorsed Republicans for president up until Obama, and I seriously doubt they supported Trump -- many conservatives jumped ship on him... That said, it's patently ridiculous to wish for the demise of a major city's last major newspaper just because you perceive it to be (wrongly) different from your ideology... Very childish on your part.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:41 AM

210 posts, read 173,808 times
Guys, I'm not asking about left or right or purple people eater. Please let's not get into that.

I'm trying to understand if this is an internal reorg but the paper (and any supporting online site streaming the same content) will still be around.

Old 04-08-2020, 11:54 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,903,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
For one thing, the PD has a history of leaning to the right, at least editorially and, in recent years, they've had their weekly editorial roundtable where editors from the left and right would opine on various issues. Kevin O'Brien, who left a year or so ago, was a hardcore conservative opinion writer and he was replaced by a guy with similar views. The paper had endorsed Republicans for president up until Obama, and I seriously doubt they supported Trump -- many conservatives jumped ship on him... That said, it's patently ridiculous to wish for the demise of a major city's last major newspaper just because you perceive it to be (wrongly) different from your ideology... Very childish on your part.
I'm not familiar with the Cleveland paper but I am familiar with the Washington Post. For years I subscribed to the Post. I'm a conservative and finally got so sick & tired of this rag going TOTALLY left that I called in to cancel. The lady said she would offer me a great deal to stay, and asked me why I'm canceling. I told her straight up that the paper was no longer the great paper it used to be, and that now it's WAY TOO LEFT for me. She said...and I quote: "I understand."

Old 04-08-2020, 12:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I'm not familiar with the Cleveland paper but I am familiar with the Washington Post. For years I subscribed to the Post. I'm a conservative and finally got so sick & tired of this rag going TOTALLY left that I called in to cancel. The lady said she would offer me a great deal to stay, and asked me why I'm canceling. I told her straight up that the paper was no longer the great paper it used to be, and that now it's WAY TOO LEFT for me. She said...and I quote: "I understand."

And you took that comment by a polite customer rep as an affirmation of your opinion???

Old 04-08-2020, 01:24 PM

250 posts, read 529,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
And you took that comment by a polite customer rep as an affirmation of your opinion???

Well, she DID understand that he HAS an opinion and wanted to quit the paper. I also did not see any affirmation there.

Old 04-08-2020, 04:23 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
I can understand that as a progressive, and ignore the WaPo for a different reason. It's owned by Jeff Bezos and once Bernie Sanders started his campaign to increase Amazon worker pay and conditions, the paper went 100% negative on his campaign. Just a different era of the same old tycoons deciding which news the public should see.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:33 PM
on3

498 posts, read 384,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
As a big **** eating grin forms on your face knowing that the News Herald will never let you down.

Old 04-09-2020, 02:52 PM

41,959 posts, read 75,174,114 times
That is insane and I guess I haven't been following the PD scene for awhile, because I'm stunned that Advance - which once was a reputable organization - is pulling this crap.

This is nothing but a union busting move. Cleveland.com staffers are non-union; PD staffers are in the Guild. Cleveland.com staffers will get the plum assignments; PD staffers are farmed out to the hinterlands. And you know the instant something exciting happens in Chardon or Painesville that the PD staffers will be bumped from the story.

Sweet Jesus ... I know a few former Advance execs and PD editors who are spinning in their graves.

The New York Times and the New York Post also have coverage; I'm sure CJR, Poynter and other industry publications will weigh in.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/202...cleveland.html

https://nypost.com/2020/04/09/clevel...blow-to-union/

I am sick over this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by on3 View Post
As a big **** eating grin forms on your face knowing that the News Herald will never let you down.
As a former news staffer of a N-H competitor ... LMAO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland