Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2020, 10:48 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,279,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
"intellectual flatulence", as the French poet, Paul Valery, said, gives relief to the man doing the venting, but polutes the intellectual air for others.

Post 69 presents an objective, substantiated argument, which obviously you've decided not only to ignore, but to attempt to belittle with a sophomoric comment.

The height of intellectual flatulence is ignoring reality and engaging in unsubstantiated condescension. Your unwillingness, or more likely inability, to engage in a factual discussion about Ohio's economically deprived communities is repeatedly noted.

Unfortunately, factually unmerited statements accompanied by insults directed at anybody who disagrees have become a new reality in our "Big Lie" propaganda political culture. Some of us have nothing but disgusting revulsion for the perpetrators, who typically have little empathy for the many individuals who often suffer greatly as the perpetrators institute policies that ignore the needs of the disadvantaged and the suffering, too often to enrich themselves or their political benefactors. Isn't this the true epitome of social "corruption?"

Last edited by WRnative; 10-13-2020 at 11:38 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2020, 02:04 PM

134 posts, read 121,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Post 69 presents an objective, substantiated argument, which obviously you've decided not only to ignore, but to attempt to belittle with a sophomoric comment.

The height of intellectual flatulence is ignoring reality and engaging in unsubstantiated condescension. Your unwillingness, or more likely inability, to engage in a factual discussion about Ohio's economically deprived communities is repeatedly noted.

Unfortunately, factually unmerited statements accompanied by insults directed at anybody who disagrees have become a new reality in our "Big Lie" propaganda political culture. Some of us have nothing but disgusting revulsion for the perpetrators, who typically have little empathy for the many individuals who often suffer greatly as the perpetrators institute policies that ignore the needs of the disadvantaged and the suffering, too often to enrich themselves or their political benefactors. Isn't this the true epitome of social "corruption?"
Mr. Native, your posts are nothing more than radical left wing propaganda masquerading as what you like to call "facts." You are the one who is "ignoring reality" by viewing the world through the lens of bias and self righteousness. You are also the one who first threw insulting barbs at me for no reason other than I don't share your baseless opinions.

Take a look at the work of Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell and Jason Riley, all intelligent black authors who debunk all of your theories. In particular, the book "Please Stop Helping Us," discusses how well intended liberal programs have done more harm than good and have destroyed the black family. So, do not lecture me, sir, about your virtuousness.

Old 10-13-2020, 02:39 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,670,155 times
Exclamation Alright...That Just About Cuts It

Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
Mr. Native, your posts are nothing more than radical left wing propaganda masquerading as what you like to call "facts." You are the one who is "ignoring reality" by viewing the world through the lens of bias and self righteousness. You are also the one who first threw insulting barbs at me for no reason other than I don't share your baseless opinions.

Take a look at the work of Shelby Steele, Thomas Sowell and Jason Riley, all intelligent black authors who debunk all of your theories. In particular, the book "Please Stop Helping Us," discusses how well intended liberal programs have done more harm than good and have destroyed the black family. So, do not lecture me, sir, about your virtuousness.
Just so you know, sir, I will take WR_Native and his SEVERAL informative, knowledgeable posts about all things Cleveland all day during the week and twice daily on the weekends, as opposed to you throwing around the names of 'intelligent black authors ' having the stones to lecture ANYONE HERE about self-righteousness

For the record, I'm as black as the day is long, and my politics are center left Democratic...I'm also a native Clevelander currently living in Columbus, and I 'check in' here at the Cleveland forum quite often to see what's going on in my old hometown

But boy howdy, as SOON as someone dropped the word 'liberal' in here (from the thread title to several upthread posts), I might have thought I had wandered off track and wound up at an AKC-sanctioned dog show, because the woofing in here became deafening

Radical left-wing propaganda, my chocolate senior-citizen hindquarters...myself, my brothers, my sister, and several of my nieces and nephews, ALL graduated from Cleveland Public Schools, going on to long-standing careers in such fields as broadcasting, law enforcement, fire service, the military, healthcare, to name a few...MY family didn't get 'destroyed' one damn bit by all these 'liberal programs' you seem to have developed a major woody about

To my fellow posters here, if I came across as a bit harsh, I humbly apologize...I didn't want to derail this thread, but I was NOT gonna sit on my hands and say nothing while someone was trying to besmirch the character of an often helpful, well-informed poster like WR_Native...not on my watch

Old 10-14-2020, 06:43 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,020,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Just so you know, sir, I will take WR_Native and his SEVERAL informative, knowledgeable posts about all things Cleveland all day during the week and twice daily on the weekends, as opposed to you throwing around the names of 'intelligent black authors ' having the stones to lecture ANYONE HERE about self-righteousness

For the record, I'm as black as the day is long, and my politics are center left Democratic...I'm also a native Clevelander currently living in Columbus, and I 'check in' here at the Cleveland forum quite often to see what's going on in my old hometown

But boy howdy, as SOON as someone dropped the word 'liberal' in here (from the thread title to several upthread posts), I might have thought I had wandered off track and wound up at an AKC-sanctioned dog show, because the woofing in here became deafening

Radical left-wing propaganda, my chocolate senior-citizen hindquarters...myself, my brothers, my sister, and several of my nieces and nephews, ALL graduated from Cleveland Public Schools, going on to long-standing careers in such fields as broadcasting, law enforcement, fire service, the military, healthcare, to name a few...MY family didn't get 'destroyed' one damn bit by all these 'liberal programs' you seem to have developed a major woody about

To my fellow posters here, if I came across as a bit harsh, I humbly apologize...I didn't want to derail this thread, but I was NOT gonna sit on my hands and say nothing while someone was trying to besmirch the character of an often helpful, well-informed poster like WR_Native...not on my watch
Agree, WRNative is quite the cornucopia of all things NEO.

Old 11-08-2020, 11:57 AM

Default 2020 Cuyahoga County election results by precinct

Most of the suburbs regularly inquired about in this forum voted for Biden over Trump in the 2020 Presidential election. Some (e.g., Shaker Hts., Cleveland Hts., University Hts.) by much larger margins than in other suburbs, especially those on the west side. Interestingly, the most wealthy east side suburbs such as Hunting Valley, Pepper Pike and Moreland Hills voted for Biden, but by closer margins.

https://boe.cuyahogacounty.gov/pdf_b...cinctTotal.HTM

I didn't check down ballot candidates and issues.

Old 11-09-2020, 10:27 PM

218 posts, read 319,316 times
https://www.cleveland.com/coronaviru...ov-5-2020.html

Check this link out for how each city in the county voted. I know most keep saying westside suburbs voted republican, which is kind of true, but none of the cities aforementioned in this thread actually voted for Trump. Places like Bay Village, Westlake, North Olmsted, Fairview Park, Rocky River, and Olmsted Falls all voted for Biden.

Check here to see the results from 2016: https://www.clevescene.com/scene-and...-county-cities

Again, you'll find the same communities voted for Hillary over Trump. With that said, I'm not saying these are liberal bastions, but just because you saw a lot of trump signs in some of these communities does not mean that they are in the majority. The westside overall is sort of a mix, which given national trends isn't so surprising given there are large white working-class communities like Cuyahoga Heights, Brook Park, and Parma in addition to a significantly lower Black population compared to the eastside.

Old 12-16-2020, 11:00 AM

134 posts, read 121,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I don't really agree with this about Shaker. The street layout makes it difficult to get from neighborhood to neighborhood without using the main streets. There's some token bike infrastructure like "sharrows" and "bikes may use full lane" signs, but that really doesn't do much. The Lake-to-Lakes Trail and Shaker Median Trail are nice, but they're mostly outside of Shaker's borders.

I'm a former bike commuter and I haven't even bothered to buy a bike since moving here. I wouldn't even attempt cycling on most of Chagrin, Warrensville Center, Lee, Woodland, or Fairmount. I might give Van Aken Blvd or Shaker Blvd a stab, but I think the average adult bike rider would be uncomfortable on these roads too.
Shaker Heights received a Bicycle Friendly Community Award from the League of American Bicyclists.

https://www.shakeronline.com/CivicAl...joHk5KCo05cjRc

Old 01-18-2021, 01:55 PM

44 posts, read 55,249 times
Default Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
We ONCE chose an area based on those "report cards." What a bad mistake that was!!! I am in education, but was not familiar with the area. I ended up working at a few schools in the District. The "low" school was by FAR superior because of the teachers and the relationships they fostered. The "test taker" school, had rude and shaming tactics with the kids. It was so bad.

I hate those school report cards. People make the school, not test scores. Go tour a few if you have time. Shaker has a GREAT rep going way back. It gets respect from colleges far from CLE, in fact. You can't beat the architecture.

No offense to my cousin in Solon, but I'd never live there. I prefer "neighborhoods" and older homes.
Hello! I wanted to pick your brain if that's okay...we are looking to move to the Cleveland area and are really interested in the Brecksville area based on what we've seen online. We are both teachers and want to make sure our kids are in good, caring schools with opportunities to participate in many things while earning a quality, well-rounded education. We don't want to be in a high-stakes "test taker" type district. Any insight on Brecksville schools?

Thank you!

Old 01-18-2021, 02:13 PM

372 posts, read 589,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforserenity View Post
Hello! I wanted to pick your brain if that's okay...we are looking to move to the Cleveland area and are really interested in the Brecksville area based on what we've seen online. We are both teachers and want to make sure our kids are in good, caring schools with opportunities to participate in many things while earning a quality, well-rounded education. We don't want to be in a high-stakes "test taker" type district. Any insight on Brecksville schools?

Thank you!
Can you share where you are coming from? Brecksville is known as a very good school district in the area with a ton of activities. We are in Rocky River, and Brecksville seems like a huge district compared to ours.
I think this may be because they also include Broadview Heights in the enrollment. I do believe that you will find test focused atmospheres in all of these high ranking districts in the area. You have to help be the buffer and pass down your values to your kids so that can resist the insane pressure. Of course, this is all relative. I was also a teacher from the west coast.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforserenity View Post

Thank you!
Have you checked greatschools.org? Don't be afraid to call district school superintendent offices with your questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland