Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2020, 05:35 AM

134 posts, read 125,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I'm a former bike commuter and I haven't even bothered to buy a bike since moving here. I wouldn't even attempt cycling on most of Chagrin, Warrensville Center, Lee, Woodland, or Fairmount. I might give Van Aken Blvd or Shaker Blvd a stab, but I think the average adult bike rider would be uncomfortable on these roads too.
My wife and I ride our bikes regularly throughout the neighborhood for enjoyment and exercise. The streets are flat and safe to ride. We avoid the very busy roads, such as Lee and Chagrin, so I agree with you on that point. But, overall, there are a lot of beautiful places to ride, IMHO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2020, 07:10 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
My wife and I ride our bikes regularly throughout the neighborhood for enjoyment and exercise. The streets are flat and safe to ride. We avoid the very busy roads, such as Lee and Chagrin, so I agree with you on that point. But, overall, there are a lot of beautiful places to ride, IMHO.
It's fine for recreational riding around the neighborhood, but that's pretty typical in the US.

I like the East Side and the Heights overall, but bike infrastructure isn't one of its stand-out features. I make a lot of short drives that would not be easy to replicate on a bike, even though they are short enough and flat enough to do so in theory.

Old 09-30-2020, 07:47 AM

201 posts, read 237,797 times
Quote:
It's fine for recreational riding around the neighborhood, but that's pretty typical in the US.

I like the East Side and the Heights overall, but bike infrastructure isn't one of its stand-out features. I make a lot of short drives that would not be easy to replicate on a bike, even though they are short enough and flat enough to do so in theory.
I ride my bicycle for utilitarian purposes all over the Heights. No destination is inaccessible via bicycle. Some of my common routes:

DOWNTOWN CLEVELAND (COMMUTE): Farnsleigh to Van Aken to Parkland to Fernway to Warrington to Coventry to South Park to Fairhill to Stokes (sidewalk) to Euclid (bike lane) to East 13th Street.

SHAKERTOWNE CENTRE (Heinen's, CVS, Shaker Hardware, Library): Farnsleigh to Van Aken to Lynnfield to Winslow

SHAKER SQUARE/LARCHMERE: Farnsleigh to Van Aken to Parkland to South Park to Shaker to West Park to Larchmere

CEDAR-FAIRMOUNT (Barrio, The Fairmount, Parnell's, Aladdin's): Farnsleigh to Warrensville Center (sidewalk) to Marchmont to Montgomery to Courtland to Shelburne to Fairmount to Cedar

COVENTRY VILLAGE (Tommy's, Avalon, Bop Stop): Farnsleigh to Warrensville Center (sidewalk) to Marchmont to Montgomery to Courtland to Shelburne to Fairmount to Coventry

LEE ROAD (Dobama Theatre, Sweet Fix, Tav Co, Wine Spot): Farnsleigh to Warrensville Center (sidewalk) to Marchmont to Montgomery to Courtland to Shelburne to Fairmount to Lee

FAIRMOUNT-TAYLOR (Gigi's, On the Rise): Farnsleigh to Warrensville Center (sidewalk) to Marchmont to Montgomery to Courtland to Courtland Oval to Fairmount

CEDAR CENTER (Whole Foods, O'Riellys): Farnsleigh to Warrensville Center (sidewalk) to Marchmont to Montgomery to Courtland to Courtland Oval to Traymore to Fenwick

Happy to answer questions or advise on other routes as well...

DR J

Old 09-30-2020, 08:07 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,978,688 times
Dr. J, I think we have different definitions of what constitutes "bicycle friendly". Carefully pre-planned routes, a near necessity with the Heights' odd street "grid", that are nearly 100% shared with cars, and include switching to the sidewalk don't meet that definition for me. Those sorts of routes are achievable in many neighborhoods and suburbs.

We also seem to frequent different destinations. I wouldn't be stoked to bike to most of Beachwood (where a lot of Shaker residents work and shop), Woodmere, North Randall, Warrensville Heights, University Heights, South Euclid, Pinecrest, Acacia Reservation, or South Chagrin Reservation.

ETA: I do appreciate you listing the routes you take though...it has me wanting to go purchase a bike now. But I know there's zero chance I could convince my wife to join on most of those routes, nor would I feel comfortable towing a child trailer on most of them.

Old 09-30-2020, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Dr. J, I think we have different definitions of what constitutes "bicycle friendly". .....Those sorts of routes are achievable in many neighborhoods and suburbs......
We also seem to frequent different destinations.
Sorry that Shaker Heights doesn't match up to biking pleasure that you had elsewhere, but to poo-poo it is not warranted, IMHO. There's a lot of fun and beautiful architecture to see whilst on a bike.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:53 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
In general, biking in the Heights really isn't bad. It's not so busy that it feels dangerous. I bike up there all the time, never really think twice about it. When I bike through some areas south of downtown though, that's really bad. I'd bike down Fairmount 10 times out 10 vs Broadway or E 55.

Old 09-30-2020, 03:07 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,814,725 times
You want to live in a “liberal” suburb, but don’t like high property taxes? You do know that “liberal” means high tax, don’t you?

Old 10-08-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
You want to live in a “liberal” suburb, but don’t like high property taxes? You do know that “liberal” means high tax, don’t you?
+1

You nailed it.

Old 10-08-2020, 11:57 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
+1

You nailed it.
Not always. Look at Beachwood compared to most Greater Cleveland suburbs. What it does mean almost always is superior public schools and services, attributes to which many so-called "conservatives" pay only lip service. In my experience, many of these so-called "conservatives" do not have conservative values, especially regarding the environment.

Old 10-09-2020, 05:32 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,239,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
Higher Taxes = Far better services
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland