U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2020, 06:08 AM

9,846 posts, read 9,164,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Ah, Antifa... The alt-right's favorite phantom menace. It couldn't possibly be the 3.5 years of the Cheeto in Chief's complete absence of any leadership whatsoever while fanning the flames of hatred at literally every turn. Combine that with a terribly handled pandemic, mass unemployment and an economy in virtual free-fall, it doesn't take much more than a spark like a bigoted cop slowly asphyxiating a black man on national television over a phony $20 bill to ignite the already fully charged powder keg.
Talking to a friend in a branch of law enforcement, he seems to think this type of nationwide protesting is highly organized. I don't know about "Antifa" or what anyone specifically calls themselves, but it's FAR from a bold claim to assert that anarchists might be involved in escalating protests. Happens all the time. Remember the Vancouver Stanley Cup?

I think there are a lot of reason to not scoff at the suggestion.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2020, 09:04 AM

106 posts, read 24,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Talking to a friend in a branch of law enforcement, he seems to think this type of nationwide protesting is highly organized. I don't know about "Antifa" or what anyone specifically calls themselves, but it's FAR from a bold claim to assert that anarchists might be involved in escalating protests. Happens all the time. Remember the Vancouver Stanley Cup?

Not a bold assertion at all. There was organization and leadership at the these protests. Common motif in all cities, at least the large ones, was an initial gathering, then a march to municipal buildings, then the destruction begins: burning police cars in particular. Then looting was set off. The locals then take the streets, loot, and destroy.

ANTIFA is more organized than anyone apparently knew with concentrations in the usual suspect cities. There was no need for outsiders to come in although I don't know the size or strength of the Cleveland group, but they're there for sure. Coordinated networking for each city was the only requirement.

The outside agigator theme is common and often dismissed. However, with social media etc there's no need for traveling. Consider that despite the outside agitator theme being dismissed, Bill Ayers and the SDS ('60s SDS leader, later involved in Weatherman Underground bombing campaign (including the 1970 bombing of The Thinker at CLE Art Museum, and Hyde Park friend of Barack Obama) were living and organizing in Cleveland Hough neighorhood when the riot set off. Outside agitators were suspected and dismissed at Kent State in 1970. Consider the famous photo of the kneeling girl next to a very dead Jeff Miller; the kneeling girl is 14 year old runaway Mary Ann Vechio hanging out on campus that weekend.

Disgrace what went down in all cities but a real tragedy for a city like Cleveland.

The most ominous aftermath is the complete lack of control there was let alone the lack of any leadership at the local level. There is no control in many cities and city hall leadership can't or won't get it under control. Too much force is intimidating and creates more conflict is the mentality.

The complete flash-breakdown of control and letting residents fend for themselves in many cities is an ominous sign.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-03-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 06-04-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
It was, bar none, the ugliest event I have ever seen. I don't particularly want to live here anymore.
At least Cleveland looked like it had some police in action on Euclid Avenue during the looting and destruction. Bet Geiger's isn't coming back.

These cities are not safe. Citizens and business owners fending for themselves in supposedly progressive cities which translates to the criminals having the upperhand.

The only thing progressive is the progressive deterioration of law and order. Cleveland has always been sketchy, this Flyod thing is the excuse to destroy.

Get a gun if you continue to live in Cleveland or visit the city; hell, I would get out of Cuyahoga County.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-04-2020 at 11:51 AM..

Old 06-04-2020, 11:00 AM

Check out the young girl getting in the front line with guns drawn by Corbo's owners; this child needs to be removed from her parents' custody immediately.

Who allows their kid to be involved in a roaming violent, looting, and destructive mob going up against armed men with guns drawn? Having a hard time wrapping that mentality in my head. This going down in Cleveland's upscaling Playhouse Square. Little girl shows up at about :25 in:

https://youtu.be/js3QdaBq270

and listen to rationalizing by the guy, of course he has an instagram feed, justifying the looting and destruction at about 2:00. Another self-made egocentric destructive social media journalist.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-04-2020 at 12:28 PM..

Old 06-05-2020, 12:08 AM

4,359 posts, read 6,277,593 times
Quote:

Where did I say there wasn't some level of organization? Even the Hough riots were organized to some degree. The problem with blaming a fringe group for the lion's share of the responsibility is that the long slow burn of our president's almost daily idiocy combined with some fairly acute dire circumstances - the real underlying reason for the outburst - gets completely marginalized by many. Now clearly, the violence we all witnessed was terrible and uncalled for. But let's please save the politically motivated conspiracy theories until there's some hard evidence.

Old 06-05-2020, 07:04 AM

9,846 posts, read 9,164,173 times
Quote:
Where did I say there wasn't some level of organization? Even the Hough riots were organized to some degree. The problem with blaming a fringe group for the lion's share of the responsibility is that the long slow burn of our president's almost daily idiocy combined with some fairly acute dire circumstances - the real underlying reason for the outburst - gets completely marginalized by many. Now clearly, the violence we all witnessed was terrible and uncalled for. But let's please save the politically motivated conspiracy theories until there's some hard evidence.
Ok where did I say anything about a conspiracy theory?

Old 06-06-2020, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
I know this is nerve wracking for all of you city dwellers, but please don't despair! I lived in downtown Seattle during the WTO riots. Yes, it was scary, violent and destructive but the city was not destroyed forever by it...not by a long shot! I, for one, truly hope the protests accomplish something this time. The smashers and looters only detract from the message, but I hope the message is finally heard. Please don't feel like you need to leave your city over this! I saw lots of good people on the news yesterday cleaning up after the violence. I saw police marching and kneeling. This may be a scary time, but may eventually result in something good. We may be feeling the birth pangs of a better future. Hang in there and work toward the good!
The WTO rioting was contained in downtown Seattle, it was a city-wide disaster of looting, burning, and destruction. And you at least had the police out in force. Big difference from this past week in many citites across the U.S.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Ah, Antifa... The alt-right's favorite phantom menace. It couldn't possibly be the 3.5 years of the Cheeto in Chief's complete absence of any leadership whatsoever while fanning the flames of hatred at literally every turn. Combine that with a terribly handled pandemic, mass unemployment and an economy in virtual free-fall, it doesn't take much more than a spark like a bigoted cop slowly asphyxiating a black man on national television over a phony $20 bill to ignite the already fully charged powder keg.
Perhaps describing ANTIFA as an alt-right favorite phantom menace would lead one to think there was no organization since, according to you, this group doesn't exist.

ANTIFA is quite real.

Old 06-06-2020, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Where did you state that there was some or even any level of organization? You dismissed this outright by calling ANTIFA an alt-right phantom menace. ANTIFA fomented the violence and looting.

At least the larger cities saw the same pattern of riot development, complete with adult losers armed with spray cans vandalizing buildings etc. with stupid slogans like ACAB.

Old 06-06-2020, 01:56 PM

3,640 posts, read 3,563,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNQ20 View Post
Perhaps describing ANTIFA as an alt-right favorite phantom menace would lead one to think there was no organization since, according to you, this group doesn't exist.

ANTIFA is quite real.
I agree with Cleveland Collector that many on the Right like to use ANTIFA as the phantom boogey-man that foments all the urban violence at protest rallies. Conversely the Right is silent on white nationalist and neo-Nazi groups who, btw, have had their email intercepted noting their plan to infiltrate and encourage this very type of violence to move the country closer to erupting in a so-called "boogaloo" race war fantasy nonsense. Why? Because it fits the right-wing agenda to pin everything on ANTIFA. And on a more disturbing level, the Alt-right/neo-Nazi crowd is more in sync with much of the hard-right republican conservative viewpoint these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland