Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 11:35 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Speak of the devil, E 79 & Euclid, the Villa: looted again today. Boards ripped off and big time looting once more. I gotta say, I don't understand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2020, 03:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Where did I say there wasn't some level of organization? Even the Hough riots were organized to some degree. The problem with blaming a fringe group for the lion's share of the responsibility is that the long slow burn of our president's almost daily idiocy combined with some fairly acute dire circumstances - the real underlying reason for the outburst - gets completely marginalized by many. Now clearly, the violence we all witnessed was terrible and uncalled for. But let's please save the politically motivated conspiracy theories until there's some hard evidence.
We know it largely wasn't Antifa for a lot of reasons. Antifa has no leaders, no organization. At best, it's a philosophy, so it's almost impossible to blame them when they essentially don't exist. Furthermore, there have been widespread reports confirming that a lot of the violence was perpetuated by white supremacist groups hoping to create more chaos and a "civil war". Otherwise, those looting and protesting were just opportunists without any real political philosophy.

Now that the violent stage of this seems to mostly be behind us (hopefully), it seems to be morphing into a full-fledged national (maybe even global) movement. I've never seen anything like it, because it's not just happening in large, liberal cities, but even in small towns in the reddest of states. People finally seem tired of the status quo in ways they never were before, perhaps related to all of the chaos and crises of recent years and the seeming lack of any real leadership. It's no doubt a very scary time to be a racist after they were at peak the last few years.

Old 06-08-2020, 07:51 PM

108 posts, read 44,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Speak of the devil, E 79 & Euclid, the Villa: looted again today. Boards ripped off and big time looting once more. I gotta say, I don't understand it.
You live in Cleveland, get used to it.

And get used to major homicide increases this year. Homis are up 55% from same date last year. This scary increase even while CLE was in lockdown pandemic.

Where are the woke white folks on this level of lost black lives?

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-08-2020 at 08:14 PM..

Old 06-08-2020, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
We know it largely wasn't Antifa for a lot of reasons. Antifa has no leaders, no organization. At best, it's a philosophy, so it's almost impossible to blame them when they essentially don't exist. Furthermore, there have been widespread reports confirming that a lot of the violence was perpetuated by white supremacist groups hoping to create more chaos and a "civil war". Otherwise, those looting and protesting were just opportunists without any real political philosophy.

Now that the violent stage of this seems to mostly be behind us (hopefully), it seems to be morphing into a full-fledged national (maybe even global) movement. I've never seen anything like it, because it's not just happening in large, liberal cities, but even in small towns in the reddest of states. People finally seem tired of the status quo in ways they never were before, perhaps related to all of the chaos and crises of recent years and the seeming lack of any real leadership. It's no doubt a very scary time to be a racist after they were at peak the last few years.
Who are the white supremacist groups? No one has mentioned the names of the groups. Why?

ANTIFA had active leadership in large progressive blue cities. I've seen them and in action in more than one city.

If the alt-left is saying it's the alt-right and the alt left is ANTIFA, what is the alt right counterpart that you're saying actually was behind the violence?

Old 06-08-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNQ20 View Post
You live in Cleveland, get used to it.

And get used to major homicide increases this year. Homis are up 55% from same date last year. This scary increase even while CLE was in lockdown pandemic.

Where are the woke white folks on this level of lost black lives?
Well I mean, I have never once set foot at the Villa, so it doesn't really mean much to me personally. I just don't understand looting in general. Self destructive.

Old 06-08-2020, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well I mean, I have never once set foot at the Villa, so it doesn't really mean much to me personally. I just don't understand looting in general. Self destructive.
I know what you mean, but get to used to it regardless.

Even if it doesn't have a personal effect, is not good for Cleveland's ability to actually attract population. Self-destruction is one things, destruction of other peoples' lives is another thing altogether.

Last edited by LNQ20; 06-08-2020 at 09:30 PM..

Old 06-09-2020, 06:18 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,488,459 times
I don't know, it seems to me that looting is only hard to understand if you assume it's related to George Floyd's death, and the resulting protests, in a meaningful way. IMO, the looting is not much different than burglary, except that the perpetrators are able to hide behind the legitimate protests.

Last edited by JR_C; 06-09-2020 at 06:48 AM..

Old 06-09-2020, 03:31 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Who are the white supremacist groups? No one has mentioned the names of the groups. Why?

ANTIFA had active leadership in large progressive blue cities. I've seen them and in action in more than one city.

If the alt-left is saying it's the alt-right and the alt left is ANTIFA, what is the alt right counterpart that you're saying actually was behind the violence?
Several groups have been mentioned over the last few weeks. The one I saw mentioned the most were the Bougaloos. The incident of the guy shooting at protesters in Seattle recently was a member of the KKK.

Again, there is no actual leadership structure and I would challenge you to actually show people claiming to be Antifa leaders in any city. Antifa, it seems, is anyone who you seem to think is part of the left. That's really not how it works.

Old 06-09-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Several groups have been mentioned over the last few weeks. The one I saw mentioned the most were the Bougaloos. The incident of the guy shooting at protesters in Seattle recently was a member of the KKK.

Again, there is no actual leadership structure and I would challenge you to actually show people claiming to be Antifa leaders in any city. Antifa, it seems, is anyone who you seem to think is part of the left. That's really not how it works.
Well, I've seen ANTIFA live and person in Portland, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Not sure who would acknowledge actual leadership but there were people directing on May 30, unless they're disguised Boogaloo members.

So, no, not everyone on the left is ANTIFA just like not everyone on the right is Boogaloo. Boy the Boogaloo sure was a swingin' dance back in the '60s; good Saturday morning kids show as well. Shame to see such a fun name association ruined by racists.

I read that the man involved in the Seattle incident was arrested but hadn't read anything on his ID and KKK affilation. Gotta be an old man by now though if was a former KKK member.

Old 06-09-2020, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Well, I've seen ANTIFA live and person in Portland, Washington DC, and Philadelphia. Not sure who would acknowledge actual leadership but there were people directing on May 30, unless they're disguised Boogaloo members.

So, no, not everyone on the left is ANTIFA just like not everyone on the right is Boogaloo. Boy the Boogaloo sure was a swingin' dance back in the '60s; good Saturday morning kids show as well. Shame to see such a fun name association ruined by racists.

I read that the man involved in the Seattle incident was arrested but hadn't read anything on his ID and KKK affilation. Gotta be an old man by now though if was a former KKK member.
ok, what is this boogaloo thing? Can someone explain this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland