Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2020, 12:51 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,351,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's mighty privileged of you. Dude, you don't care about black lives either all you're doing is using the black murders and the recent uprisings to back up your political talking points. Also, all races do crime to people that they're closest to not just black people. The media just sensationalizes black tragedies more. That's not an East Side problem or a West Side problem just like that's not just a Cleveland problem. Have you ever participated in any anti-violence rallies or joined organizations committed to curbing violence in Cleveland? Do you volunteer in things involving kids?
No I’m pointing out the facts. But I know when I do that it’s considered racist. I get it. My point is the black on black crime in America is horrendous. Black men make up 6.5% of the American population and they commit 55% of the murders which 90% are black on black killings.. Let’s not talk about it right? Just pretend it’s not happening and focus on Terrible cops that killed black men. Which a black man’s chances of getting killed by a white cop are less than your chances of getting struck by lightning. So who’s fanning the flames?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2020, 12:55 PM

Quote:
That's mighty privileged of you. Dude, you don't care about black lives either all you're doing is using the black murders and the recent uprisings to back up your political talking points. Also, all races do crime to people that they're closest to not just black people. The media just sensationalizes black tragedies more. That's not an East Side problem or a West Side problem just like that's not just a Cleveland problem. Have you ever participated in any anti-violence rallies or joined organizations committed to curbing violence in Cleveland? Do you volunteer in things involving kids?
Privileged? Yea right. You must be one of those white people who have been indoctrined into thinking somehow my white skin is bad. I will never, I repeat never apologize for the color of my skin. Nor should anyone! And the only person I kneel for us Jesus Christ. Does that make me a racist?

Old 06-21-2020, 05:27 PM

1,866 posts, read 1,410,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Privileged? Yea right. You must be one of those white people who have been indoctrined into thinking somehow my white skin is bad. I will never, I repeat never apologize for the color of my skin. Nor should anyone! And the only person I kneel for us Jesus Christ. Does that make me a racist?
I'm not white, I'm black. Also, privilege doesn't always have to do with money, it's more about freedom of movement. You don't have to worry about being profiled by the police, you will get the benefit of the doubt in a crime where I wouldn't even if I'm innocent. I didn't even mention your race or skin color. Nobody called you a racist but if you're getting this defensive, you're guilt is showing. No one asked to apologize for your skin color and I don't apologize for mine. But, I'm not gonna let everyone and their mother try to make blacks responsible for all the evil in Cleveland and the whole world.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:32 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,263,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Is there a street worse than E 93 in all Cleveland?
I've been wondering the same thing. For several years I've noticed that when there's violent crime in the local news, that street seems to pop up more than any other.

Old 06-21-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
No I’m pointing out the facts. But I know when I do that it’s considered racist. I get it. My point is the black on black crime in America is horrendous. Black men make up 6.5% of the American population and they commit 55% of the murders which 90% are black on black killings.. Let’s not talk about it right? Just pretend it’s not happening and focus on Terrible cops that killed black men. Which a black man’s chances of getting killed by a white cop are less than your chances of getting struck by lightning. So who’s fanning the flames?
And, white on white crime in America isn't horrendous? Ha! 86% of crimes that are committed against white people are done by other white people. Also, when they do crime stats they never go by percentage numbers of race or per capita just raw numbers. No, I never ignore it; I see how it affects the community in where the library I work at is located. Also, my community does talk about it, we just don't talk about it with others because it's our issues. You never did answer my question about joining organizations to curb the violence in Cleveland or meetings.

Plus, a lot of you conservatives only mention this when we talk about these police brutality cases. You don't mention this any other time. The mindset a lot of your group have is, "Well, if they didn't do it to each other then the police wouldn't do it to them" or "They deserve what they get." Also, when a black person commits crime against another black person they're arrested, charged, prosecuted and sentenced; they don't get paid leave or any unions backing them up like the cops.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
3 weeks later and only Corner Alley is open on E 4 street. Very depressing down there. Really very little happening on the east side of downtown. Warehouse District and especially the Flats are pretty normal/active now though. The east end really suffers from no sports and shows and concerts.
It's been like that since COVID19 hit. Lot of those business took a hit and they were even more hit by the looting. I think the East Side of Downtown will rebound eventually. It just might be slow.

Old 06-21-2020, 08:27 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,306,095 times
Quote:
It's been like that since COVID19 hit. Lot of those business took a hit and they were even more hit by the looting. I think the East Side of Downtown will rebound eventually. It just might be slow.
No it hasn't. Corner Alley, HoB, Harry buffalo, Society Lounge, Wonder Bar, Zocalo were all open as soon as they could have been in Mid May. And the rest certainly weren't boarded up. Everything is boarded up now. It's depressing. Around the corner, Barrio was open too. Now it's totally dead except for Corner Alley as of Thursday.

They are closed now because they were looted/severe property damage. I don't know about Lola, Mabel's etc. They seemed to be in no hurry.

We just got the Dollar General on 12th open again, so at least there is one thing I don't have to leave the neighborhood to be normal about.

Old 06-22-2020, 12:20 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,554,078 times
I can't blame the business owners. There really is nothing different between now and 3 weeks ago other than the police are less apt to be proactive/reactive.

If the cities are serious about encouraging business owners to re-open, they certainly aren't advertising plans if rioting/violence re-emerges. The rioters/looters had carte blanche to loot/vandalize/terrorize for days; they haven't forgotten, and neither have store owners.

Old 06-22-2020, 06:01 AM

Quote:
And, white on white crime in America isn't horrendous? Ha! 86% of crimes that are committed against white people are done by other white people. Also, when they do crime stats they never go by percentage numbers of race or per capita just raw numbers. No, I never ignore it; I see how it affects the community in where the library I work at is located. Also, my community does talk about it, we just don't talk about it with others because it's our issues. You never did answer my question about joining organizations to curb the violence in Cleveland or meetings.

Plus, a lot of you conservatives only mention this when we talk about these police brutality cases. You don't mention this any other time. The mindset a lot of your group have is, "Well, if they didn't do it to each other then the police wouldn't do it to them" or "They deserve what they get." Also, when a black person commits crime against another black person they're arrested, charged, prosecuted and sentenced; they don't get paid leave or any unions backing them up like the cops.
I have no qualms with your first paragraph.

“Your group” not sure what you are assuming here.
I belong to a block watch.
And when 6.5% of the population commits 55% of America’s homicides , of course police will profile.
The tragic murder of George Floyd should have never been about race in the first place.
Your chances of getting struck by lightning as a black man , are greater than you ever getting killed by a white cop.

Old 06-22-2020, 10:17 AM

4,464 posts, read 5,010,639 times
Quote:
I have no qualms with your first paragraph.

“Your group” not sure what you are assuming here.
I belong to a block watch.
And when 6.5% of the population commits 55% of America’s homicides , of course police will profile.
The tragic murder of George Floyd should have never been about race in the first place.
Your chances of getting struck by lightning as a black man , are greater than you ever getting killed by a white cop.
The Floyd murder absolutely is about race, and it doesn't have to just be about cops killing ... or killing at all. It's a system of white privilege/white supremacy at issue. Ahmaud Arbery wasn't killed by cops (well, the stupid dad was an ex-cop but that doesn't count), he was an innocent, unarmed jogger murdered - lynched, actually -- by 2 redneck racist yayhoos (who do I say racist? b/c the stupid son was caught on video yelling the N-word over Ahmaud's fallen body)... It's systemic racism because, even despite the video evidence which was in the hands of the police, and public several weeks later, it took 3 months! for an arrest to be made after public outcry, and 3 DA's refusing to even press charges. You don't think race had anything to do with it?

That horrible woman, Amy Cooper, sought to weaponize her white privilege to harm Christian Cooper (no relation), a Black man who, btw, happened to be a peaceful birdwatcher ... and a Harvard grad! (much smarter than the stupid Amy who was, thankfully, fired from her corporate job as a result). She KNEW the cop bias against African American men so she played on it to try and have Christian arrested, beaten ... or even possibly killed -- by police. Thankfully these NY cops were both late and, apparently, level-headed. But it's the SYSTEM that Cooper, and other wrong-headed white individuals, seek to weaponize against African American people.

And as for the constant conservative white refrain of: 'well what about Black-on-Black crime?' Fact is, per FBI long-standing statistics, the vast majority of crime perps victimize people in their own community, meaning usually, their own race. So it's mostly white-on-white, Asian-on-Asian (more often Korean-on-Korean, often with knives), Black-on-Black, Jew-on-Jew, etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland