Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2020, 08:26 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
The article I included was about statues being ripped down in Anarchy fashion Of a statue of Ulysses S Grant. He fought the KKK and was an abolitionist who fight for the freedom of slaves. Obviously your Comments in your last paragraph , you condone the burning of buildings and burning of cop cars , if it fits your narrative. Did you really say the Wendy’s deserved to be burned because they called the cops? LOL you’re out of your mind. Let’s see the guy was drugged up and drunk failed his sobriety test. Then proceeded to fight the cops steal a taser runaway then turn in fired at the cops. Correct?? Is this how you become a martyr in America today? This shows you are part of the problem with America . I don’t care what your reasoning is , it’s unlawful. You would be shot on my property If you did that. Btw Wasn’t a black off duty police officer shot dead during your peaceful protests in St. Louis protecting a black Business?? Why isn’t he a hero or martyr for the black community? Instead of the convicted criminal felon who put a gun to a pregnant woman’s stomach... Answer that fricking question!! Your cause has been lost in the violence and chaos in your progressive democratic cities LOL why do all those unemployed piece of **** basement dwelling *******s cover up their faces? Are they ashamed of their cause? . I’ll say it again with conviction. black lives matter is a political, hate group funded by old white billionaires people like George Soros to divide this country. These protests and riots have become a **** show!
Any well-meaning cause you have is lost with your violence and your ignorance to the law. Try CallIng a plumber Instead of the cops Next time You have an emergency.
Calm down, Dude. I didn't say I 'condone' burning cop cars and Wendy's. I said: I don't mind it, and understand the frustration. Both are minor pieces of insured property owned by a large tax-funded institution and a wealthy international corporation, respectively: they can be replaced... No, I don't like destroying and looting businesses randomly that had no connection to the protests, esp small family businesses and sole proprietorships like Geiger's clothes and Colossal Cupcakes... I'm thrilled the lady owning CCs is not only reopening but expanding... good for her!

The Heinen brothers are esp good, kind and fair-minded guys who treat everyone with respect and dignity (a Shaker and Heights tradition which is from where they came). Michael Symon is a good guy, too. I'm sorry folks like this had their businesses damaged. Thankfully, the 2 aforementioned businesses are big and strong enough to fix up their damage (I'm sure covered by insurance) and bounce back. I think the COVID pandemic has done far more damage to them than the temporary setback due to the out-of-control protesters (again, the overwhelming bulk of them were peaceful).

You're anger shows you don't get it and did not pay attention to the gist of my post: namely: African Americans have a special and unique status of victims of discrimination in this country. They are the ONLY race or ethnic group brought over as slaves. The only race/subgroup that has a similar gripe is Native Americans who were literally nearly wiped off the American map...

You don't get the fact that racism and bigotry continue to this day in so many forms: the George Floyd just happened to be one high-profile example because his atrocity was caught on cellphone video... had it not, you can bet the cops would have tried to cover it up... And TO BE CLEAR one of the cops charged (besides Chauvin the murderer/main culprit, is Black)... In Atlanta, a young, innocent, unarmed Black college couple driving near earlier protests in Atlanta, but were yanked out of their car, brutally beaten and tased by cops who, thankfully, have been fired and are under investigation... The race of those cops: African American... It's called systematic racism. You might want to research it rather than rant to me.

Dude, do you just rant or do you really try and look at the situation from the shoes of other people? Obviously, and thankfully, a lot of white people who are NOT left-wing radicals are in sympathy with the protesters -- a number of cops, too, were especially appalled by the Floyd murder and are breaking the Blue Wall of Silence. Are you paying attention?

NO: I don't agree with tearing down every statue like Ulysses S. Grant (that one is a head scratcher). But the Confederate guys and the Stars and Bars? Absolutely. Get them outta here, now! The fact they STILL exist in 2020 speaks very poorly of our Country (let alone having Trump as president). Can't you understand the pain that causes people? Can't you understand the salt-in-the-wound added indignity of Black people having to support that crap with their taxes. And what about white people who hate that racist crap, too?

Last edited by TheProf; 06-23-2020 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2020, 09:51 AM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
No I’m pointing out the facts. But I know when I do that it’s considered racist. I get it. My point is the black on black crime in America is horrendous. Black men make up 6.5% of the American population and they commit 55% of the murders which 90% are black on black killings.. Let’s not talk about it right? Just pretend it’s not happening and focus on Terrible cops that killed black men. Which a black man’s chances of getting killed by a white cop are less than your chances of getting struck by lightning. So who’s fanning the flames?
We have to put these percentages into proper perspective. There are about 23 million black males in the United States. There were just over 16,000 homicides in the US in 2018 and let’s just use the 55% figure(I believe it is actually a little bit lower). So, 8800 homicides were done by black people(and if we use the 88% male figure here), about 8000 were done by black males out of a population of about 23 million. So, we have to be completely honest when stating such information.

https://blackdemographics.com/population/amp/

Old 06-29-2020, 11:24 PM

3 posts, read 1,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's no excuse to profile anyone because white people commit most of the mass shootings but no one is profiling white people. Plus, more white people shoot police officers more than anyone else but no one is talking about profiling them either. Floyd's death was about race because they worked together at the same club, and even the owner of the club said that the cop would be more aggressive and hostile towards black patrons than white or other patrons. Historically, black people have had more negative interactions with the police whether they were guilty or innocent. And, you don't know what my odds are of being harassed or killed by a cop.

No, I don't condone with the looting that happened in Downtown Cleveland or any city recently. But, Martin Luther King said, "A riot is the language of the unheard", so those people who felt that they haven't been heard peacefully felt like they had to be heard violently. Most of the people that were protesting Downtown were peaceful protesters. The ones who did the looting and damage were opportunists, white supremacists and agitators. Talk about the people that's responsible for the damage at hand, don't lump the peaceful protesters who were obeying the law with the people who looted.
And you don’t know the odds of a cop being killed by a black male. Also, the pattern I saw in another city was BLM and ANTIFA organizing and fomenting the violence then setting up the central city looting for black folks which carried into their neighborhoods the next few days. Cleveland wasn’t swarmed by 10,000s+ people out and about in high end shopping districts.

So white supremacists rioted because they’re the voice of the unheard? It all looked like opportunists stealing sneakers and high end stuff in places like Soho so this whole MLK quote about voices of the unheard need to stay in the ‘60s where it belongs.

Had a Cleveland trip cancelled but this summer is going to be tough everywhere. Shame about downtown Cleveland. Just read that the Brooks Brothers downtown location is closing for good but am wondering about the Geigers on Euclid Avenue. I bought some nice sneaks there a few years ago. I’m sure it was looted by the voices of the unheard though.

Such a shame that a city like Cleveland had local retailers establish a downtown location only to have them trashed. This being the reason many businesses pulled out of places like Cleveland in the first place; prophecy fulfilled in the end.

Last edited by McGee107; 06-30-2020 at 12:39 AM..

Old 06-30-2020, 04:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Yes real shame about Brooks Brothers and Geigers. Brooks brothers was really good to have around, one of the last places of note at tower city. Though I think geigers is hoping to come back. Geigers had their front door window broken at least twice before the riots even happened in the last about 6 months though. People who own downtown businesses already put up with a lot. Plus corona and riots? Very difficult. We honestly cannot survive a) any type of second shutdown or b) any type of second riot. I think it will be over at that point. As of now, things are feeling a bit more normal, but who knows how many of these places open again now arent around next year. Hoping for the best, but we will see. If residents continue to move in, this stuff will come back, even if it takes a few years. I saw like 5 uhaul of people moving into various places near me last weekend so that was nice.

Old 06-30-2020, 03:24 PM

The protest had nothing to do with the closing of Brooks Brothers in Tower City; COVID's impact was likely minimal as well. The chain is headed for Chapter 11.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:14 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
That's no excuse to profile anyone because white people commit most of the mass shootings but no one is profiling white people.
Oh, my friend, you are so, so incorrect about this statement. White people are profiled every single day.

Quote:
Floyd's death was about race because they worked together at the same club, and even the owner of the club said that the cop would be more aggressive and hostile towards black patrons than white or other patrons. Historically, black people have had more negative interactions with the police whether they were guilty or innocent. And, you don't know what my odds are of being harassed or killed by a cop.
The cops involve all deserve every bit of the punishment coming to him. But, please, for the love of God, stop pretending like Mr. Floyd was a saint and that the sole reason for him being detained was because he was black. The man had a rap sheet a mile long and was being detained during the commission of a crime during which he resisted arrest.

Quote:
No, I don't condone with the looting that happened in Downtown Cleveland or any city recently. But, Martin Luther King said, "A riot is the language of the unheard", so those people who felt that they haven't been heard peacefully felt like they had to be heard violently.
As much respect as I have for MLK, Jr., this was one of the most brow-raising and, unfortunately for him, decontextualized statements he has ever made. It is being used as a mantra to pillage and plunder rather than as guidance to right a wrong. All rioting ever does is galvanize the empathetic and in the wrong direction. Violence is never, ever the answer.

Quote:
Most of the people that were protesting Downtown were peaceful protesters. The ones who did the looting and damage were opportunists, white supremacists and agitators. Talk about the people that's responsible for the damage at hand, don't lump the peaceful protesters who were obeying the law with the people who looted.
Albeit not impossible, there is zero proof that "white supremacists" were among the vandals and/or looters in downtown. There is significant proof that the vandalism and looting was organized. Unfortunately, in this day and age of social media, that's all too easy to do. Organized and highly agitated protests not only invite but encourage this type of crime. It may not have been intentional, but the protesters do bear some of the responsibility.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:17 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
The protest had nothing to do with the closing of Brooks Brothers in Tower City; COVID's impact was likely minimal as well. The chain is headed for Chapter 11.
You can't really say that. It certainly didn't help. Retail in general is in a precarious spot. Capital losses due to crime can be a huge factor in deciding which outlets survive a Chapter 11 restructuring.

Old 07-01-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
You can't really say that. It certainly didn't help. Retail in general is in a precarious spot. Capital losses due to crime can be a huge factor in deciding which outlets survive a Chapter 11 restructuring.
Yes I can say this. BB was protected inside Tower City and suffered no physical damage, itself. TC's main doors to the Portico were smashed, but TC was heavily barricaded and guarded before the protests even started that Saturday and the whole building closed once the protests started getting out of hand and the main Rapid station was also closed... Red Line trains passed through but didn't stop there... Covid more likey may have had some impact, but it's been clear for some time that the TC Brooks Bros, as much as I liked it and, esp, what it did for TC's overall sagging retail image, has been struggling for some time...

And btw, nobody was saying Geo Floyd was a saint, but that is irrelevant and smacks of a 'blame the victim' mentality.. There's no excuse for this cop murder whatsoever.. And, no, MLK's statement was neither unfortunate nor misguided. You apparently can't relate to oppression.

Last edited by TheProf; 07-01-2020 at 07:52 AM..

Old 07-01-2020, 07:50 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Quote:
Yes I can say this. BB was protected inside Tower City and suffered no physical damage, itself. TC's main doors to the Portico were smashed, but TC was heavily barricaded and guarded before the protests even started that Saturday and the whole building closed once the protests started getting out of hand and the main Rapid station was also closed... Red Line trains passed through but didn't stop there... Covid more likey may have had some impact, but it's been clear for some time that the TC Brooks Bros, as much as I liked it and, esp, what it did for TC's overall sagging retail image, has been struggling for some time...

And btw, nobody was saying Geo Floyd was a saint, but that is irrelevant and smacks of a 'blame the victim' mentality.. There's no excuse for this cop murder whatsoever.. And, no, MLK's statement was neither unfortunate nor misguided. You apparently can't related go oppression.
Geiger's certainly was effected by riots though. Not only was everything smashed, but all inventory looted. That is expensive stuff too. Those people have had windows smashed a few times, even before the riot. It's really tough to operate in downtown Cleveland. Kinda sad. hopefully we are at an end of both riots and shutdowns. I really, really don't think we survive anything more than we have already had. At this point, if nothing gets worse, I think we come out ok in a few years.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:21 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,942 times
Quote:

And btw, nobody was saying Geo Floyd was a saint, but that is irrelevant and smacks of a 'blame the victim' mentality.. There's no excuse for this cop murder whatsoever.. And, no, MLK's statement was neither unfortunate nor misguided. You apparently can't relate to oppression.
I disagree. He has practically been elevated to sainthood. Since this has happened, it is fair and relevant to ask if he actually was a saint.

There's a good movie from the 1990s that skewers this phenomenon called Citizen Ruth. Everyone should give it a watch. The movie forces the viewers to ask themselves, in a society that has rallied around a drug-addicted woman (who fails at everything and treats everyone around her terribly) and exalted her to sainthood, what has happened in that society that has caused people to fanatically take up her cause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland