Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2019, 06:19 PM

2,599 posts, read 2,319,291 times

Advertisements

I saw a documentary about gangster Danny Greene. He was from and in Cleveland, IIRC. Anyone ever see him around back in the day? Anyone ever hear older people talking about him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2019, 11:37 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
If you were alive in Cleveland during that time you knew about Danny Greene.

Old 11-20-2019, 08:48 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Kill the Irishman; Bomb City; Cleveland mob on comeback?

"Those who live by the bomb, die by the bomb."

https://www.cleveland.com/pdextra/20...ny_greene.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-RcDFu-LlE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kill_the_Irishman

<<After several failed attempts to kill Greene, it became evident that Licavoli's outfit needed outside help. In 1977, Danny Greene was murdered after a scheduled visit to his dentist. After learning of the dentist appointment scheduled by Greene, Licavoli and Lonardo contracted Ray Ferritto to assassinate him. While Greene was in the dentist's office, a bomb was placed underneath a car adjacent to his. Upon return to his vehicle the bomb was exploded remotely. Greene lay under the ruins of his vehicle for at least an hour before his corpse was removed.[21] After Greene's assassination, Ferritto heard that the Cleveland Crime Family wanted him dead and in response became an FBI informant. The information that he provided led to the arrests of many high ranking mafia members, including John Licavoli himself. >>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_crime_family

According to the last paragraphs of the above article, the Cleveland Mob is making a comeback.

Given Mayor Frank Jackson's family affiliations, it makes one wonder if the Cleveland police department aggressively investigates mob activity. Trump also reportedly had substantial mob connections given his NYC construction activities. Perhaps the FBI under Trump also is cutting back on mob enforcement.

https://www.newsweek.com/2019/01/18/...b-1285771.html

The mob largely thrived in the U.S. as it had leverage on FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Edg...American_Mafia

Old 11-21-2019, 07:07 AM

17 posts, read 13,017 times
I live near and pass by the building parking lot where he blown up at. It looks nothing like what was shown in the Kill The Irishman movie.

I moved to Cleveland in '79 so Greene was before my time here.

Old 11-22-2019, 01:32 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
People obsess about crime these days and paint cities like Chicago has third-world warzones, but violent crime is nothing now like it was back in the 1970s and 80s. It's inconceivable nowadays to have a city like Cleveland have 20+ car bombings in one year without the FBI and perhaps military descending down on the city in droves to protect the population. But organized crime was killing people by the dozens in various cities every year, not to mention day-to-day street crime.
Anyway, I'm off-topic but the Danny Greene thing reminds how bad things used to be before the internet age and how much better they are now in most places, despite all the fearmongering from politicians and the general public.

Old 11-22-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
People obsess about crime these days and paint cities like Chicago has third-world warzones, but violent crime is nothing now like it was back in the 1970s and 80s. It's inconceivable nowadays to have a city like Cleveland have 20+ car bombings in one year without the FBI and perhaps military descending down on the city in droves to protect the population. But organized crime was killing people by the dozens in various cities every year, not to mention day-to-day street crime.
Anyway, I'm off-topic but the Danny Greene thing reminds how bad things used to be before the internet age and how much better they are now in most places, despite all the fearmongering from politicians and the general public.

I know crime is less now in cities like NY and LA. I guess that applies to Chicago based on what you're saying. Sometime I'm going to look at chart or statistics of crime in the 70s and 80s compared to now in the top 20 or top 50 cities.

I don't know how crime rates in small town, suburban, and rural areas compare in the 70s and 80s to now.

Old 11-25-2019, 10:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiousgeorge5 View Post
I saw a documentary about gangster Danny Greene. He was from and in Cleveland, IIRC. Anyone ever see him around back in the day? Anyone ever hear older people talking about him?

My dad knows his son and remembers the bomb-crazy 70's well. Greene was one of the most infamous names during the height of organized crime in the midwest, among other areas. Pretty much a thing of the past. Although there is likely some minor activity, it was pretty much dead by the early 90's. The FBI with the aid of the RICO Act made sure of that.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:39 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies, all.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:16 PM
on3

498 posts, read 383,610 times
Frank Sheeran would have made short work of Danny Greene.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:13 PM

19 posts, read 81,432 times
Danny Greene wasnt all that he was hyped up.to be
Greene used the media to create this Irish American figure
Who openly challenged the Murray Hill rank and file
Look at your local mob history
They went after John Nardi 1ST.
WHY?
Cause Nardi was a threat to control the union and pension funds
Plus Tony Milano was trying to bring his sons from the West Coast
To level the playing field in Nardi Licavpil War.
They knew if they took out Nardi 1st then Greene was all bark and no bite
As it happened all the "loyalists" to Greene ending joining the
Other side anyhow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland