U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2020, 12:37 PM

74 posts, read 33,652 times

Advertisements

Hi all, OP here. Thanks for the additional replies. Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, and Chagrin Falls are top focus areas for the scouting trip. I love Burton! But we desire closer / more amenities than I recall in that gorgeous town. But hey, we’ll be there at peak leaf color in Oct, so we may just be helplessly charmed by it!

Re safety...we’re not worried about Cleveland crime per se, we just will put a keen eye on any potential neighborhoods, do the research, etc. Feedback you’ve provided thus far is also helpful in that regard. And seems Chagrin Falls and Lakewood are good bets, assuming proper diligence.

NE OH Weather is a “known” - I grew up in Trumbull County. To be honest, the moderate summers by the lake are part of the appeal. Less of that oppressive sticky weather that keeps you inside with AC (yep, I know there can be hot/humid days...just fewer of them than much of the country). Winter is tolerable by me.

Heidi60...please pass our thanks and appreciation to your neighbor’s Portland PD sons. We are thankful for the job they are doing in a no-win situation. And...my grandma made the best pierogi, and especially halupki!! Lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2020, 01:24 PM

5,405 posts, read 6,155,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Hi all, OP here. Thanks for the additional replies. Lakewood, Cleveland Heights, and Chagrin Falls are top focus areas for the scouting trip. I love Burton! But we desire closer / more amenities than I recall in that gorgeous town. But hey, we’ll be there at peak leaf color in Oct, so we may just be helplessly charmed by it!

Re safety...we’re not worried about Cleveland crime per se, we just will put a keen eye on any potential neighborhoods, do the research, etc. Feedback you’ve provided thus far is also helpful in that regard. And seems Chagrin Falls and Lakewood are good bets, assuming proper diligence.

NE OH Weather is a “known” - I grew up in Trumbull County. To be honest, the moderate summers by the lake are part of the appeal. Less of that oppressive sticky weather that keeps you inside with AC (yep, I know there can be hot/humid days...just fewer of them than much of the country). Winter is tolerable by me.

Heidi60...please pass our thanks and appreciation to your neighbor’s Portland PD sons. We are thankful for the job they are doing in a no-win situation. And...my grandma made the best pierogi, and especially halupki!! Lol.
Portland PD - will do, but they are looking at leaving also because of the politics. Better to sell sooner than later as I understand the Portland area housing market will not do well.

In separate NE Ohio incidents, I lost both a family member and family friend to thugs while only going about their business but were targeted for robbery and worse. Everyone should be aware no matter where they are, especially when neighborhoods start to change. Yes, I know, I'm probably a little/lot paranoid but there are things one can never forget. Just want to scream at everyone to be aware and safe so they don't ever have to know what I do.

My grandma had family in Youngstown but she worked for Bobby Brooks downtown Cleveland until she retired. Her maiden last name was Skiba and she could also make the best kapusta. Bay Area Polish food is a little different from what I was used to in Ohio and the Golden Gate Polish Festival was smaller than I expected the year I went. How is the Polish food in Portland, I might have to visit when Mayor Wheeler leaves?

You have a great list and it would be difficult to chose only one, but Chagrin Falls has always been a soft spot of mine. When you get settled in your new home, you are free to send me all the Polish food you want....LOL, wishing you the very best.

Last edited by Heidi60; 09-17-2020 at 01:56 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 03:26 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,215,117 times
Ugh, I feel a little ill when I hear old school or ex-pat Clevelanders use coded language like “when neighborhoods start to change”, which is so obviously rooted in stereotyping and racial prejudice. Good riddance to the white flighters and ex-pats who say things like that.

Last edited by Cleverfield; 09-17-2020 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-17-2020, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Ugh, I feel a little ill when I hear old school or ex-pat Clevelanders use coded language like “when neighborhoods start to change”. Good riddance to the white flighters and ex-pats who say things like that.
Leave it to a salesperson to start with their personal attacks.

Old 09-17-2020, 03:42 PM

3,235 posts, read 4,215,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Leave it to a salesperson to start with their personal attacks.
It’s funny, when I get a call from someone who immediately asks about the racial makeup of a neighborhood I lose interest in the lead even if they’re qualified. It’s not worth compromising my values to get a sale.

Old 09-17-2020, 04:54 PM

1,518 posts, read 1,901,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
My 2 cents:
Chardon and Burton - these are New England style small towns with squares and shops - both are in the snow belt where you can expect 100+ inches per season - bucolic in the Fall and charming festivals - when they open back up.

Oberlin - out of the snow belt but offers the small college town - tends to be pretty liberal and sequestered from suburbia

Chagrin Falls - to answer your question - it is not overrun with tourists

You may want to consider lakeside living: Huron, Vermilion, Geneva, Fairport Harbor have the small town feel. But you should also consider Bay Village and Rocky River because it will give you easy access to great amenities that you'll want - arts and culture and dining options.

As its been stated, consider Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights - particularly along the Shaker Lakes. These suburbs offer the 1910s and 1920s style Tudor mansions and many other styles popular then. They offer easy access to University Circle (museums, medical facilities). They are closer to crime areas - but have been for the last 40 years without much problem.

Good luck
Great suggestions! Burton and Oberlin are great for what the OP is looking for!

Old 09-18-2020, 05:32 AM

912 posts, read 514,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Portland PD - will do, but they are looking at leaving also because of the politics. Better to sell sooner than later as I understand the Portland area housing market will not do well.

In separate NE Ohio incidents, I lost both a family member and family friend to thugs while only going about their business but were targeted for robbery and worse. Everyone should be aware no matter where they are, especially when neighborhoods start to change. Yes, I know, I'm probably a little/lot paranoid but there are things one can never forget. Just want to scream at everyone to be aware and safe so they don't ever have to know what I do.

My grandma had family in Youngstown but she worked for Bobby Brooks downtown Cleveland until she retired. Her maiden last name was Skiba and she could also make the best kapusta. Bay Area Polish food is a little different from what I was used to in Ohio and the Golden Gate Polish Festival was smaller than I expected the year I went. How is the Polish food in Portland, I might have to visit when Mayor Wheeler leaves?

You have a great list and it would be difficult to chose only one, but Chagrin Falls has always been a soft spot of mine. When you get settled in your new home, you are free to send me all the Polish food you want....LOL, wishing you the very best.
I've lived in various towns in the area for over 50 years and never had any problem. Lived in Cleveland Heights for a decade and it was fine. The only problem I had over that entire time was somebody stole a ladder. Could've been kids for all I know. Granted it was a nice 28 footer, fiberglass, fairly new from Dunn HW. That was 25 yrs ago.

I would not worry about crime unless the OP chooses an inner ring suburb like the Hts but then only certain area and only property crime and it is rare. Like I said, I get the feel that the OP is buying into a higher end neighborhood where this will not be a problem at all - even if its in the Heights.

Old 09-18-2020, 10:13 AM

121 posts, read 83,415 times
Chagrin Falls native here. I left there quite some time ago but lived there briefly in 2010 for a year or so.

It was interesting coming back. There's a Starbucks there in the middle of town now and apparently there's a bunch of bikers that make that their hang out. Never found them menacing or anything but I think some people really don't like them.

The overall quaint character of the town is still there although it has lost some of it's small town charm with Starbuck's and other glam storefronts. Was very disappointed to see the wonderful toy store and book stores were gone. Those were really important stores in the day.

The Falls has become a touristy 'destination' area and you get a lot of traffic every weekend. I think if I had stayed there this would annoy me to no end. It was not like that at all in the 90s and earlier.

You don't have to live in town though and I'm sure if you find a house farther out, you'll still have that sweet Ohio midwestern feel that is a wonderful thing. But Chagrin is not what it used to be, that is for sure.

Hudson is a nice town, but has had similar things happen there.

All that being said... MidWestern people are wonderful. I've lived overseas, West Coast, East Coast... the nicest communities are in the middle of the country.

Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights are nice but very suburban and even urban.

Some areas of Pepper Pike are quite nice.

I hope you find what you're looking for, best of luck!

Old 09-18-2020, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavender_blue View Post
Chagrin Falls native here. I left there quite some time ago but lived there briefly in 2010 for a year or so.

It was interesting coming back. There's a Starbucks there in the middle of town now and apparently there's a bunch of bikers that make that their hang out. Never found them menacing or anything but I think some people really don't like them.

The overall quaint character of the town is still there although it has lost some of it's small town charm with Starbuck's and other glam storefronts. Was very disappointed to see the wonderful toy store and book stores were gone. Those were really important stores in the day.

The Falls has become a touristy 'destination' area and you get a lot of traffic every weekend. I think if I had stayed there this would annoy me to no end. It was not like that at all in the 90s and earlier.

You don't have to live in town though and I'm sure if you find a house farther out, you'll still have that sweet Ohio midwestern feel that is a wonderful thing. But Chagrin is not what it used to be, that is for sure.

Hudson is a nice town, but has had similar things happen there.

All that being said... MidWestern people are wonderful. I've lived overseas, West Coast, East Coast... the nicest communities are in the middle of the country.

Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights are nice but very suburban and even urban.

Some areas of Pepper Pike are quite nice.

I hope you find what you're looking for, best of luck!
I remember, going way back, there was a wonderful butcher shop that had the best steaks ever, but it closed a long time ago. Sad to hear so much has changed. It is so true about most folks from the mid west, as I knew it, are wonderful. Shaker Heights used to be a fun place to spend the afternoon and for dinner.

Just a quick response to another poster, my family and friends lived in great areas but could not live in a bubble so the common thugs found them walking to their car, and the other just closing his new book store one evening. Since OP is currently a Portland resident, there is nothing I can add to what he already knows about safety.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:15 AM

3,640 posts, read 3,547,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
It’s funny, when I get a call from someone who immediately asks about the racial makeup of a neighborhood I lose interest in the lead even if they’re qualified. It’s not worth compromising my values to get a sale.
Amen to your comments. The poster used the term "thugs" as well, a racial code word... btw, it is illegal for RE agents to give buyers ANY information about the racial makeup of a target neighborhood; a violation of the federal Fair Housing Laws. Crime can occur anywhere with anybody -- wanna talk about the opioid crisis and organized crime in Amish country that has led to violence, even murder? Or how about the murder of an entire family (8 members, save a few infants who were spared) downstate in Piketon, OH, in 2016, but a neighboring family trying to cover up the fact that their son committed statutory rape when fathered a child with a 15-year-old -- who was one of the 8 victims?... All white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland