Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2020, 10:40 AM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times

Advertisements

I am traveling solo to visit Clev / Cinci for 1 week... People always ask me why Cleveland since its not LA , Miami but that is the exact appeal it has to me. I am from NYC and the " midwest" was always so foreign to me. The grittiness, rust beltish , 2nd tier city aspects is what for some reason seduces me . Lol.

I also hear Cinci is also interesting so i will split my days between the 2 . I enjoy ethnic neighborhoods with good food, architecture, gritiness & "realness" of a city.

Ive been around the world but Cleveland is still on my list for some reason. I prefer hole in the wall pubs & eateries & to get to the know the real city.

Any suggestions or itineraries ?

Oh yea.. Im not into Rock or sports .. i know lol but i am open to visiting something interesting related to these topics. How is the city POST covid ??

Thank you all

Last edited by Popfizz; 10-17-2020 at 10:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 11:18 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
The COVID-19 epidemic isn't over, but spiking upwards in Ohio. It's currently a red state run by Republicans and a Trump apologist governor who just this past week said that Ohio just needs to learn to live with COVID-19, inflicting on Ohioans Trump's scientifically appalling and IMO economically devastating "herd immunity" theory.

<<“There’s a limit to what a governor could do or should do,” said DeWine. “We’re at a point where we have to just live with this virus.”>>

https://wviz.ideastream.org/news/cuy...nd-stark-too-0

Candidly, November is not a good month ever to visit Cleveland in order to see its outdoors attractions. Many of Cleveland's excellent November events likely will be canceled this year. Many attractions and restaurants are closed and personally I wouldn't be anxious to dine indoors in Cleveland or elsewhere in Ohio this November, given the sorry state of Ohio's COVID-19 mitigation efforts.

Personally, I would wait until the second half of next year to visit Cleveland. The second week of October, for leaf turn, would have been excellent.

The only reason to visit Cleveland this November is to see empty streets and COVID-19 devastation IMO. Possibly even the Cleveland Museum of Art will close its doors if the COVID-19 surge becomes too extreme. Admittedly, hotel rates likely will be an immense bargain!!!

Read through this thread, but remember this visit is for next week, and likely a week too late for optimum enjoyment given the weather forecast for next week.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...t-planned.html

If you're still coming, let us know. I will offer some suggestions, especially for the drive (presume you're driving) between Cleveland and Cincinnati. E.g., see this dated travel article. Personally, I definitely would spend 2-3 days in the Dayton area, assuming its attractions remain open.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...The.World.html

The later you come in November, the greater the risk of a late November "lake effect" snow storm. IF there is snow accumulation, you actually could find some beautiful outdoor attractions.

BTW, the COVID-19 epidemic currently is marginally worse in Cincinnati and Hamilton County than in Cleveland and Cuyahoga County.

Traveling during an epidemic, my hunch is you could get some great last-minute hotel reservations and there is little need to commit to non-refundable reservations. Cleveland's hotel occupancy rate has been running below 25 percent, and my be even lower in November, especially if the Cavaliers aren't playing to fans and Quicken Loans Arena remains empty (certainly, keep an eye on the Cavaliers schedule and attendance limits).

Last edited by WRnative; 10-17-2020 at 11:35 AM..

Old 10-17-2020, 11:30 AM

620 posts, read 1,073,451 times
Yes i understand the covid part but I am on with good takeout or outdoor dining. There is no time like the present. And I personally dont care for any of the politics or red blue state crap... its not what im going for

Old 10-17-2020, 11:45 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Yes i understand the covid part but I am on with good takeout or outdoor dining. There is no time like the present. And I personally dont care for any of the politics or red blue state crap... its not what im going for
Well, you did refer to Cleveland & Cincinnati as post-COVID, so I shouldn't be surprised by your IMO crap opinion.

My last comment for you is to check out the Mohican Region in this travel article. IF the Big House is open at Malabar Farm State Park, it is special, especially when decorated for the holidays. Also check out Stan Hywet Halls & Gardens in Akron.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

Check out Castle Noel in Medina, which has one of the best New England-like public squares in Ohio.

https://castlenoel.com/

Old 10-18-2020, 07:34 AM

5,510 posts, read 9,493,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popfizz View Post
Im not into Rock or sports
In case anyone suggests it, I'd skip the Rock & Roll HOF and football HOF (in Canton), then. I have no interest in football, and even though I grew up in the Canton area, I never visited the FB HOF, and don't regret it. And, I've heard of others' experiences with visiting the RR HOF and, because they weren't really into the history of rock, they thought it was boring.

There's still lots of great stuff, but the locals will fill you in on that. I will highly recommend visiting the West Side Market. Every time I visit Cleveland, I try to make it there. In addition to the great architecture, it has the atmosphere of a European market.

I will echo what WR said above. It's possible, although I think pretty remote, that Ohio will be put on another lock-down, if this COVID stuff continues to escalate. Just be sure, if you make plans, that the places you plan to visit are still open.

Old 10-18-2020, 04:23 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
In case anyone suggests it, I'd skip the Rock & Roll HOF and football HOF (in Canton), then. I have no interest in football, and even though I grew up in the Canton area, I never visited the FB HOF, and don't regret it. And, I've heard of others' experiences with visiting the RR HOF and, because they weren't really into the history of rock, they thought it was boring.

There's still lots of great stuff, but the locals will fill you in on that. I will highly recommend visiting the West Side Market. Every time I visit Cleveland, I try to make it there. In addition to the great architecture, it has the atmosphere of a European market.

I will echo what WR said above. It's possible, although I think pretty remote, that Ohio will be put on another lock-down, if this COVID stuff continues to escalate. Just be sure, if you make plans, that the places you plan to visit are still open.
Never been to the Football HOF and I've lived here for most of my 55 yrs. I have been to the RR HOF and have enjoyed it. It is more of documentary on how rock music (rock = R&B + folk + pop + disco + country + etc) has shaped our popular culture. Now if you don't like ANY kind of music, well maybe its a waste of time. I'm a rock music lover to the core - but I wouldn't pass up a chance to go to the Country music hall of fame.

Old 10-20-2020, 11:50 AM

210 posts, read 173,931 times
Yes, Covid is skyrocketing here again. And I find folks' mask wearing behavior is remarkably bad, depending upon where you are. Just be safe.

This had some great recommendations:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...eveland-9.html

Old 05-13-2021, 06:55 PM

11,056 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Weekend nights in downtown Cleveland are pretty decent now. Even Thursday nights are pretty good. It's gotten a lot better in the last month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland