Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 07:15 PM

256 posts, read 736,462 times

Advertisements

I guess I just need some guidance right now. I am recently widowed. I grew up in the Cleveland area. Have lived in S. California since 1977. I have no children and no family left. Every friend I have had in S. California has moved. I am contemplating going back to Cleveland. I have friends there that I have had since 3. California has been very good to me in many respects, but people don't stay here or connect like the midwest. When I go back, I can see how financially devastated the area has become over the decades. I just know what ever decision I make will have to be my last. I can't financially afford to keep moving. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2020, 04:03 AM

191 posts, read 276,101 times
I'm in a similar situation: Grew up in NE Ohio, then moved to Sandy Eggo late '70s. I was in CA for 10+ years, but left after riding the Loma Prieta quake in Nov '89 (living in Bay Area by then -- post grad school). I've/we've lived in 8 states and 2 countries since, but am strongly thinking of returning when last kid graduates college (hopefully May 2022).

We're retired now though, which makes a big difference as the economy in NE Ohio isn't great right now by most measures (even compared to S. Calif.). Also the cold and snow isn't a deal-breaker since we met and liked living in MN for many years. Apart from that... hope to see 'ya in Cleveland in a year or two :-)!

Old 12-29-2020, 08:37 AM

256 posts, read 736,462 times
Hi Nomad,
I'm actually in San Diego. Walked the beach yesterday. Good to see some one is thinking the same. People are different back there. Don't get me wrong, I have had some wonderful relationships in SD, but people move here and less likely for roots. Like I said, I still have friends from 3 years old back there that I do talk to weekly. I am thinking of renting out my home and trying it out for a year.
Good luck in your decision. Hope you move home, too.

Old 12-29-2020, 11:26 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,127,706 times
As a Realtor I’ve worked with several clients over the past year or so who have moved back from the West coast. Seems to be a trend. Better to have falling snow than falling ash I guess, not to mention the vastly more affordable housing. Also, the economy here isn’t so bad. It’s definitely gotten better in the last decade or so, and the “Eds and meds” keep expanding.

Old 12-29-2020, 01:50 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,043,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
I guess I just need some guidance right now. I am recently widowed. I grew up in the Cleveland area. Have lived in S. California since 1977. I have no children and no family left. Every friend I have had in S. California has moved. I am contemplating going back to Cleveland. I have friends there that I have had since 3. California has been very good to me in many respects, but people don't stay here or connect like the midwest. When I go back, I can see how financially devastated the area has become over the decades. I just know what ever decision I make will have to be my last. I can't financially afford to keep moving. Thanks!
You moved in 1977, that is 43 years ago, so you're in your 60s I assume, nearing or at retirement. Unless you need a well paying job, I don't think the economy is much of a concern. Nonetheless, I've been working here for 30+ years as an electrical engineer and the job market is just fine. Less jobs but less people to fill them.
The weather is something you will need to get re-acquainted with. You're used to warm weather most of the year, that will not be the case in Cleveland. Its 4 seasons and one of them is winter.

You may want to dig a little deeper and see if you can satisfy the need for relationships by staying where you're at. Consider getting involved in the community more - hiking clubs, exercise clubs, clubs for seniors, church services, etc. I don't think a move is the answer for you.

Old 01-01-2021, 10:11 AM

194 posts, read 190,515 times
I lived in Cleveland for 15 years and just moved to the Southeast. I am one billion times happier being out of Cleveland. The terrible weather, gloom, and just overall depressed vibe of the area sucked the life out of me, notwithstanding that I had a solid social network. Maybe it's different if you have or had roots there, but I would definitely caution anyone before moving there. The museums, the Cleveland Clinic, and the lake (for a few months) are nice, but in other ways, it's like stepping backwards in a time machine. Best of luck with your decision.

Old 01-01-2021, 12:23 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,438,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
I lived in Cleveland for 15 years and just moved to the Southeast. I am one billion times happier being out of Cleveland. The terrible weather, gloom, and just overall depressed vibe of the area sucked the life out of me, notwithstanding that I had a solid social network. Maybe it's different if you have or had roots there, but I would definitely caution anyone before moving there. The museums, the Cleveland Clinic, and the lake (for a few months) are nice, but in other ways, it's like stepping backwards in a time machine. Best of luck with your decision.
How is Greater Cleveland like stepping backwards in a time machine??? Lack of crazed locals blowing up bombs in its downtown?

You moved to Nashville.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/new...on/4105771001/

A friend considered relocating to Greater Nashville, but ruled it out due to the relatively poor public schools in Greater Nashville, lack of natural areas relative to Greater Cleveland, the absence of world-class high culture such as the Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Orchestra, and Playhouse Square, and Nashville's second-rate medical facilities compared to those offered by the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals. Lake Erie isn't merely nice, it is one of the world's great bodies of water and features some of the nation's best fresh water fishing and surf beaches, as well as an extensive boating culture.

Playhouse Square, one of the nation's better theater complexes, was founded less than 40 years ago, and still is growing and improving, at least pre-pandemic.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

Where did you live before moving to Cleveland? It sounds to me as if you never really immersed yourself in Cleveland culture. Others moving to Greater Cleveland and northeast Ohio from other areas of the nation have had more positive experiences.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...xperience.html

Cleveland is only marginally more cloudy than Nashville.

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

https://weatherspark.com/y/14687/Ave...tes-Year-Round

Last edited by WRnative; 01-01-2021 at 01:00 PM..

Old 01-01-2021, 01:23 PM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
I was in Nashville over the summer. Wasn't impressed at all, I don't see what others see in it. Memphis was more enjoyable, by quite a large margin imo. Nashville is now just a transplanted yuppie, cultureless homogenized area with bachelorette parties and bad music. No thank you.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:03 PM

194 posts, read 190,515 times
The vibe between the two cities is like night and day. Of course, Cleveland's cultural institutions are better and walks by the lake are nice, but it was just too miserable for me. Cleveland is crumbling in many respects. Nashville is exploding with construction and development. People are actually excited to move here and live here. Is it perfect? No freaking way! But is better than Cleveland for me? Absolutely.

Old 01-01-2021, 02:27 PM

11,054 posts, read 12,452,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
The vibe between the two cities is like night and day. Of course, Cleveland's cultural institutions are better and walks by the lake are nice, but it was just too miserable for me. Cleveland is crumbling in many respects. Nashville is exploding with construction and development. People are actually excited to move here and live here. Is it perfect? No freaking way! But is better than Cleveland for me? Absolutely.
yeah people with general interests and general hobbies and like everything to be generally acceptable love Nashville, that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland