Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2021, 02:24 PM

18 posts, read 27,006 times

Advertisements

Hey! My family and I are thinking of moving to Ohio from New York City. We have a budget of 200k. I know that is on the low side, but that is what we are going with.

I’ve tried to do research on these forums. Shaker Heights really stands out. It almost reminds me of New York, in terms of the convenience. Access to shops, buses, light rail, and downtown. Also, the homes look beautiful.

I understand that the taxes are high, which is a negative, but other than that, it seems great. Based on my quick city data research. My Husband will be the one driving. His job would be in the Downtown area.

I will work from home. I don’t mind taking public transport if I have to, or walk about 20 minutes somewhere if I have to. I’m used to it, and I love being in nature. I do that already and with my toddler as well.

As our budget is 200k, I have noticed that there are over 20 homes available in Shaker Heights in that price range. These homes are on the lower end of Shaker Heights.

My question is, how safe is Shaker Heights? Is it good for families, safe enough to walk around at night?

The lower end of Shaker Heights is surrounded by Buckeye Shaker, Mt Pleasant, Corlett, Lee-Miles, Beachwood, and Highland Hills. I looked on Niche, and some of those areas rate higher in crime and safety, compared to Shaker Heights. Does crime sort of spill over into Shaker Heights?

I understand that Shaker Heights is a diverse area. People either look at that as positive or a negative. I am used to diversity, with living in the big apple. I just care about safety, especially since I have a child.

This one is random: How common are tornadoes in the area? We don’t really get anything here in the city, though of course, those things can still happen.

Apologies for asking so much. Shaker Heights just seems too good to be true. Haha. I just want the best for my little one.

Last edited by Hello Ohio; 01-18-2021 at 03:44 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2021, 02:35 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Ohio View Post
Hey! My family and I are thinking of moving to Ohio from New York City. We have a budget of 200k. I know that is on the low side, but that is what we are going with.

I’ve tried to do research on these forums. Shaker Heights really stands out. It almost reminds me of New York, in terms of the convenience. Access to shops, buses, light rail, and downtown. Also, the homes look beautiful.

I understand that the taxes are high, which is a negative, but other than that, it seems great. Based on my quick city data research. My Husband will be the one driving. His job would be in the Downtown area.

I will work from home. I don’t mind taking public transport if I have to, or walk about 20 minutes somewhere if I have to. I’m used to it, and I love being in nature. I do that already and with my toddler as well.

As our budget is 200k, I have noticed that there are over 20 homes available in Shaker Heights in that price range. These homes are on the lower end of Shaker Heights.

My question is, how safe is Shaker Heights? Is it good for families, safe enough to walk around at night?

The lower end of Shaker Heights is surrounded by Buckeye Shaker, Corlett, Lee-Miles, Beachwood, and Highland Hills. I looked on Niche, and some of those areas rate higher in crime and safety, compared to Shaker Heights. Does crime sort of spill over into Shaker Heights?

I understand that Shaker Heights is a diverse area. People either look at that as positive or a negative. I am used to diversity, with living in the big apple. I care about safety, especially since I have a child.

This one is random: How common are tornadoes in the area? We don’t really get anything here in the city, though of course, those things can still happen.

Apologies for asking so much. Shaker Heights just seems too good to be true. Haha. I just want the best for my little one.
Read through this thread, especially post 3.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

Lakewood may be another option (use the search engine to find the many threads discussing Lakewood).

If you don't mind commuting by car, Mentor or Willoughby may be good options in your price range. Check out zillow.com home values for any community under consideration.

https://www.zillow.com/mentor-oh/home-values/

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...me-prices.html

Mentor and Willoughby are in Lake County, where Laketran offers bus routes to downtown.

For natural areas, see posts 7 and 9 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...etroparks.html

Old 01-18-2021, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Read through this thread, especially post 3.

Lakewood may be another option (use the search engine to find the many threads discussing Lakewood).

If you don't mind commuting by car, Mentor or Willoughby may be good options in your price range. Check out zillow.com home values for any community under consideration.

https://www.zillow.com/mentor-oh/home-values/

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...me-prices.html

Mentor and Willoughby are in Lake County, where Laketran offers bus routes to downtown.

For natural areas, see posts 7 and 9 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...etroparks.html
Thanks!

Old 01-18-2021, 03:32 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Greater Cleveland tornadoes, Lake County

This thread has discussions about tornadoes, radon, Lake County, and much more.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...eveland-6.html

Old 01-18-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This thread has discussions about tornadoes, radon, Lake County, and much more.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...eveland-6.html
Thanks!

Old 01-18-2021, 04:58 PM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
I live in the area of Shaker Hts that has most of the lower priced homes (I'm between Scottsdale and Lomond)
The area is quite safe. I've never felt threatened in the area It's conveniently located. My biggest problem is I hate some of the traffic calming things that make you go out of your way to get into the neighborhood.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I live in the area of Shaker Hts that has most of the lower priced homes (I'm between Scottsdale and Lomond)
The area is quite safe. I've never felt threatened in the area It's conveniently located. My biggest problem is I hate some of the traffic calming things that make you go out of your way to get into the neighborhood.
Great! Thanks! That was my main concern with the lowered priced homes.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:14 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
200k is well above the median home price around Cleveland. Welcome to the rust belt!

Quote:
It almost reminds me of New York
I live in Shaker, and NYC isn't really a comparison I would make outside of perhaps the relatively small area by Shaker Square and Larchmere.

If you want a more urban vibe, I think Lakewood and Cleveland Heights are closest to that in the suburbs, and of course there's multiple neighborhoods in Cleveland proper that fit the bill too.

Shaker does have diversity and good public transit, so I suppose that there is a comparison to be made to NYC in that regard.

Quote:
I’m used to it, and I love being in nature. I do that already and with my toddler as well
COVID aside, Shaker is hard to beat as a place for families IMO. Especially in the cheaper sections you're considering (not a ton of young parents can afford the $500k+ sections of Shaker). Drive down Lomond on a day with remotely nice weather and you'll be hard pressed to not spot strollers and training wheels.

Shaker itself has plenty of parks and playgrounds dotted throughout the city, as well as the impressive Shaker Nature Center.

On top of that, the Cleveland Metroparks and Cuyahoga Valley National Park are great as well.

Visiting Lake Erie is a nice treat, but from Shaker it can be a solid half hour drive each way.

Quote:
Tornadoes are something to be aware of, and schools probably hold tornado drills, but they are not common.

However, Lake Effect snow is real. Just this year we've already had two storms that dropped a foot and a half in one day. And there really is a difference between the east side and west side. Shaker averages 20 inches a year more than Lakewood, even though they are only separated by about 10 miles.

Quote:
Shaker Heights just seems too good to be true.
Now you sound like my wife. It's 4 years after moving here and she's still head over heels with Shaker.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
200k is well above the median home price around Cleveland. Welcome to the rust belt!

I live in Shaker, and NYC isn't really a comparison I would make outside of perhaps the relatively small area by Shaker Square and Larchmere.

If you want a more urban vibe, I think Lakewood and Cleveland Heights are closest to that in the suburbs, and of course there's multiple neighborhoods in Cleveland proper that fit the bill too.

Shaker does have diversity and good public transit, so I suppose that there is a comparison to be made to NYC in that regard.

COVID aside, Shaker is hard to beat as a place for families IMO. Especially in the cheaper sections you're considering (not a ton of young parents can afford the $500k+ sections of Shaker). Drive down Lomond on a day with remotely nice weather and you'll be hard pressed to not spot strollers and training wheels.

Shaker itself has plenty of parks and playgrounds dotted throughout the city, as well as the impressive Shaker Nature Center.

On top of that, the Cleveland Metroparks and Cuyahoga Valley National Park are great as well.

Visiting Lake Erie is a nice treat, but from Shaker it can be a solid half hour drive each way.

Tornadoes are something to be aware of, and schools probably hold tornado drills, but they are not common.

However, Lake Effect snow is real. Just this year we've already had two storms that dropped a foot and a half in one day. And there really is a difference between the east side and west side. Shaker averages 20 inches a year more than Lakewood, even though they are only separated by about 10 miles.

Now you sound like my wife. It's 4 years after moving here and she's still head over heels with Shaker.
Ha! Your wife sounds awesome. Great minds think alike! I live in Staten Island. You have the suburban experience, as well as access to plenty of public transportation. I guess that is what I meant with the comparison.

Shaker Heights, from what I assume, seems a lot quieter, which is great. Thank you for the weather information as well. I am happy to hear positive things about Shaker Heights.

Old 01-18-2021, 09:41 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Ha! Your wife sounds awesome. Great minds think alike! I live in Staten Island. You have the suburban experience, as well as access to plenty of public transportation. I guess that is what I meant with the comparison.

Shaker Heights, from what I assume, seems a lot quieter, which is great. Thank you for the weather information as well. I am happy to hear positive things about Shaker Heights.
I realized I didn't address your main question. There are zero parts of Shaker where I would have serious concerns about crime. At night I'd be more concerned about the local wildlife than criminals . I've been caught off guard by deer, skunks, and possums. So yes, Shaker probably is a good bit quieter than even Staten Island.

There is some nuisance crime. Petty stuff like stolen packages or theft from unlocked cars, and I do think that is more common near the Cleveland border.

About half the city is in your price range. The Ludlow, Moreland, Lomond, and Sussex neighborhoods for sure. And you'll probably find a few homes in your range in Fernway and Onaway as well.

With Ludlow, keep in mind that half of the neighborhood is in the city of Cleveland, but still feeds to Shaker schools. The "CHALK" neighborhood north of Shaker Square (Cormere, Haddam, Ardoon, Larchmere and Kemper) is also in your price range and has the same odd Cleveland city/Shaker schools arrangement. If you're open to that arrangement, make sure you let your realtor know so they can filter on Shaker School District instead of Shaker Heights City Limits.

There's also Kendall and Cheshire Roads off of Larchmere that are within Shaker Height's boundaries and in your range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland