Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2021, 07:10 AM

39 posts, read 39,945 times

Advertisements

Is it mostly sunny like other places nearby or is it mostly cloudy like Seattle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2021, 08:28 AM

55 posts, read 42,628 times
It’s not nearly as bad as Seattle but Cleveland, just like any other Great Lakes city has more than its fair share of gray days. The further south you go, the clearer the skies become. It’s “the lake effect”. People just like to over emphasize how bad it is in Cleveland, Because it’s Cleveland and that’s just what people do!

Old 06-20-2021, 08:39 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Default Weatherspark.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieSam28 View Post
Is it mostly sunny like other places nearby or is it mostly cloudy like Seattle?
You can check cloud cover and other weather conditions month-by-month here:

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

If you compare cloud cover in Cleveland with other cities in the North at least, the difference isn't as much as expected.

Keep in mind that cloud cover mitigates the temperature. IMO, it's plenty bright in Cleveland in the summer and there are too many days when it's uncomfortable to engage in strenuous activities in the afternoon, but nothing like more southern locations in the U.S.

The risk of tornadoes and hurricanes is relatively insignificant in northeast Ohio, and this will become more important as ocean heat content continues to rise rapidly and climate change exacerbates the frequency of severe weather events. Note that tornado alley has moved east of the Mississippi River in recent years and hurricanes in the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico now undergo rapid intensification.

Also, autumns in northeast Ohio are brilliant and the favorite season of many residents.

Old 06-20-2021, 10:14 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,975,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Great link!

Quote:
The clearer part of the year in Cleveland begins around May 15 and lasts for 5.9 months, ending around November 11. On August 12, the clearest day of the year, the sky is clear, mostly clear, or partly cloudy 67% of the time, and overcast or mostly cloudy 33% of the time.
I am glad they included "partly cloudy" in this. A lot of days that I would call "sunny" are actually cloudy, but it's still bright and pleasant.

Make no doubt about it though, January and February can be especially brutal for sun lovers. Some years it's Mid-December through Mid-March.

Old 06-22-2021, 12:58 PM

194 posts, read 189,750 times
Cleveland is not mostly cloudy in the summer but the summers are very short. July and August are actually very nice there IMO - warm and mostly dry. Cloud cover, however, is devastating during other parts of the year, which is why Cleveland is ranked in the top 10 for gloomiest cities.

Old 06-22-2021, 03:30 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
Cleveland is not mostly cloudy in the summer but the summers are very short. July and August are actually very nice there IMO - warm and mostly dry. Cloud cover, however, is devastating during other parts of the year, which is why Cleveland is ranked in the top 10 for gloomiest cities.
It's been summery for a month and the season of summer just began, not sure what you're talking about here.... Late May through mid September all generally resembles summer here. Ya know, 1/4 the year.

Also, I hate July and August. Way too hot and humid.

Old 06-22-2021, 07:34 PM

194 posts, read 189,750 times
I don't consider 50s summer weather, which often occurs as lows in May, June, and September. I maintain that July and August are the best months. The average high is 81 for those two months - definitely not what I consider hot. Plus there is a lot of sun and not much rain. Perfect to be outside.

Old 06-22-2021, 08:47 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
I don't consider 50s summer weather, which often occurs as lows in May, June, and September. I maintain that July and August are the best months. The average high is 81 for those two months - definitely not what I consider hot. Plus there is a lot of sun and not much rain. Perfect to be outside.
I don't consider this criteria very relevant at all and pretty particular but ok.

There are more than 2 months of "summer" weather by any reasonable definition and objections to the contrary are kinda absurd.

Old 06-22-2021, 10:31 PM

5,759 posts, read 11,358,171 times
I did a weatherspark comparison between Cleveland and the city where I currently live, Chemnitz, Germany. They are pretty close on temperatures although Cleveland is somewhat warmer most months. Cleveland also gets more rain & snow, and a bit more wind.

I think I could tolerate Cleveland pretty well most of the year, although I would take a break in the winter with a long trip to a warmer weather place.

It's interesting to note that the "sister city" or partner city of Chemnitz is Akron, Ohio! Both places have deep industrial roots and are roughly close in population and climate, although there are a lot more hills around here in Chemnitz.

https://weatherspark.com/compare/y/1...d-and-Chemnitz

Old 06-23-2021, 12:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Your inaccurate Cleveland bashing gets old. Cleveland's cloud cover is not "devastating." E.g., it's well known locally that September and October are brilliant months.

In winter, if persons actually get outside, walk, hike, etc., it greatly mitigates the impact of cloud cover. This becomes increasingly easy as snowfall and snow cover continues to decline, but consider also that snow reflects sunlight and increases an environment's albedo. Persons such as me enjoy getting out and enjoying a snow-covered landscape, which, after a snow storm, can be magical. For inactive persons, I would agree that winters can be much more gloomy.

Rather than listen to bashers such as yourself, anybody interested in Cleveland's cloud cover should stick to empirical analysis available at websites such as weatherspark.com. They also should consider how climate change is raising atmospheric temperatures and making more southern locations increasingly dangerous during summer months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland