U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2021, 12:50 PM

41 posts, read 19,017 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm going to keep this as brief as I can. We live in a suburb of Columbus and HATE IT! It is soul-crushing and not what we want for ourselves or our kids. We want to move. We've been looking out of state, but with the pandemic and not being able to travel to check things out, I'm looking a little closer to home and Cleveland seems like the only other option for us. But only having had visited, I don't know a ton about it. I have done research up one side and down the other, but nothing compares to the words of those of you who live it and experience it every day.

Sadly, I can't sugar-coat things and think I am going to get a proper answer, so here goes: reasons we want to leave Columbus - too big, too hostile, too busy -especially in the burbs, no value for human life, unfriendly as hell, huge school districts, "meh" school districts, no trees, soulless people, only affordable homes in low-crime areas are tract subdivisions (which make us sad) or in the Trump-laden, huge truck driving, pj pant wearing, cigarette smoking, foul language screaming at your family as we try to take a walk, closed-minded, disgusting town we are in now. Phew. I'm sure there is more, but that about sums it up.

What we want: access to do interesting things with our kids (Columbus has stuff, but it is never easy and ALWAYS packed), safe area where we feel comfortable having our kids outside to play, good schools, our home to be in a quiet place where we don't feel like we are on display for the neighbors and have a little space (1/2 acre+), walkability to parks or library or bike trails, the ability to take a family walk or ride our bike around the area without being called "F*gg*t" or "b**ch" and without our elementary daughter being cat-called by "adult" males driving by in their trucks. Yes, it sounds absurd, but it has all happened and almost every time we try to do these things in our "neighborhood" which is set up to be walkable to schools and the downtown area of our suburb but is absolutely not ideal. I don't feel like we are asking for a ridiculous life, but it seems impossible here. There is no ease to living here. And it is taking a toll.

We don't want to spend too much more than about $250,000 since we will be starting new jobs. We are moderate democrats and have nothing against traditional Republicans (big fans of John McCain for example) but CAN'T continue to be surrounded by Trump supporters and conspiracy theorists. I am not interested in getting into a political debate, I just need to be honest and upfront about what our needs are and where we would feel comfortable. You tell me an area is huge into Trump and we just won't go to that area - we've learned our lesson here. That being said, I have done some looking around and really like the looks of Brecksville, Broadview Heights (access to bike trail, good schools, larger lots, older homes, etc.) but would like some insight as I don't know much else about it. My husband loves to bike and is not keen on the idea of Cleveland due to weather and a shorter window of time for cycling, so any info you have on the cycling culture would be great - he's not the gear-up road-riding type, more the 20-25 miles rail trail a couple times a week guy. We love the architecture and proximity of Shaker Heights, but the taxes are too much for us and we want a little more peace and quiet at the end of the day which is why we are looking further out. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2021, 02:09 PM

28 posts, read 75,805 times
Which suburb do you live in now so we can steer you to somewhere different?

Old 03-03-2021, 03:04 PM

9,695 posts, read 6,468,022 times
Default East vs. West suburbs

These two threads should provide you with a great overview of Cleveland suburbs. Do you know where you will be working in Greater Cleveland?

Start with post 3 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...mmunities.html

Biking season in Cleveland is not dependent upon temperature, but upon absence of ice and snow on trails. E.g., it's been chilly recently, but roads, sidewalks, trails generally are clear. I suspect clear trails exist in most weeks of the year. Definitely check out metropark systems for bike trails in Greater Cleveland. Greater Cleveland has five metropark systems compared to only one in Greater Columbus. See posts 7 and 9 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...etroparks.html

https://www.ohiobikeways.net/neregionlist.htm

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...s-weather.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...east-ohio.html

I suspect Facebook has Greater Cleveland biking forums where you better could have your biking questions answered.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...me-prices.html

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 03-03-2021 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-03-2021, 10:18 PM

41 posts, read 19,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lep6030 View Post
Which suburb do you live in now so we can steer you to somewhere different?
Grove City - it's not for us; we love our house (1960s mid-century) but the area is toxic

Old 03-04-2021, 06:53 AM

9,931 posts, read 9,254,425 times
I think you should look into Berea and Olmsted Falls.

Old 03-04-2021, 09:17 AM

364 posts, read 485,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think you should look into Berea and Olmsted Falls.
These or Fairview Park and Bay Village as well.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:13 AM

2,657 posts, read 3,768,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by searchingforserenity View Post
Ok, I'm going to keep this as brief as I can. We live in a suburb of Columbus and HATE IT! It is soul-crushing and not what we want for ourselves or our kids. We want to move. We've been looking out of state, but with the pandemic and not being able to travel to check things out, I'm looking a little closer to home and Cleveland seems like the only other option for us. But only having had visited, I don't know a ton about it. I have done research up one side and down the other, but nothing compares to the words of those of you who live it and experience it every day.

Sadly, I can't sugar-coat things and think I am going to get a proper answer, so here goes: reasons we want to leave Columbus - too big, too hostile, too busy -especially in the burbs, no value for human life, unfriendly as hell, huge school districts, "meh" school districts, no trees, soulless people, only affordable homes in low-crime areas are tract subdivisions (which make us sad) or in the Trump-laden, huge truck driving, pj pant wearing, cigarette smoking, foul language screaming at your family as we try to take a walk, closed-minded, disgusting town we are in now. Phew. I'm sure there is more, but that about sums it up.

What we want: access to do interesting things with our kids (Columbus has stuff, but it is never easy and ALWAYS packed), safe area where we feel comfortable having our kids outside to play, good schools, our home to be in a quiet place where we don't feel like we are on display for the neighbors and have a little space (1/2 acre+), walkability to parks or library or bike trails, the ability to take a family walk or ride our bike around the area without being called "F*gg*t" or "b**ch" and without our elementary daughter being cat-called by "adult" males driving by in their trucks. Yes, it sounds absurd, but it has all happened and almost every time we try to do these things in our "neighborhood" which is set up to be walkable to schools and the downtown area of our suburb but is absolutely not ideal. I don't feel like we are asking for a ridiculous life, but it seems impossible here. There is no ease to living here. And it is taking a toll.

We don't want to spend too much more than about $250,000 since we will be starting new jobs. We are moderate democrats and have nothing against traditional Republicans (big fans of John McCain for example) but CAN'T continue to be surrounded by Trump supporters and conspiracy theorists. I am not interested in getting into a political debate, I just need to be honest and upfront about what our needs are and where we would feel comfortable. You tell me an area is huge into Trump and we just won't go to that area - we've learned our lesson here. That being said, I have done some looking around and really like the looks of Brecksville, Broadview Heights (access to bike trail, good schools, larger lots, older homes, etc.) but would like some insight as I don't know much else about it. My husband loves to bike and is not keen on the idea of Cleveland due to weather and a shorter window of time for cycling, so any info you have on the cycling culture would be great - he's not the gear-up road-riding type, more the 20-25 miles rail trail a couple times a week guy. We love the architecture and proximity of Shaker Heights, but the taxes are too much for us and we want a little more peace and quiet at the end of the day which is why we are looking further out. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
No, it hasn't.

Old 03-04-2021, 01:50 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,376,403 times
Tribe, what bee is up your bonnet to question someone else's experience? What they described sounds par for the course in Grove City, especially after the past presidential administration's antics.

I'd tell the OP to stay in Columbus but at the 250K price point, most areas are out of reach now. There would have been a time Gahanna or NW Columbus would fit. But prices at the moment are stupid, though will probably fall as interests rates rise soon.

Brecksville and Broadview Heights will be likely outside 250K. Maybe someone with more experience in Cleveland metro real estate could answer for sure? Berea, where Baldwin Wallace College is would be neat. I am not as familiar with the west side suburbs, but I would stay out of Westlake and places further out in Avon. All of Medina County probably is out as well. Back in Cuyahoga County, Bay Village will probably exceed 250K or some compromises would need to be made.

Any thoughts from others on some of the areas around Cuyahoga Valley National Park? Portions of northern Summit County between Akron and Cleveland?

Old 03-05-2021, 08:25 AM

19 posts, read 20,177 times
It's interesting. Grove City is roughly comparable to Brunswick. The OP should consider Westlake, Avon, or Avon Lake. Politically moderate communities with lots of services and good schools. There are homes in the 250k-300k range in those communities but they are currently scarce.
My neighborhood in AL is bordered by a park and a nature preserve with paved bike paths. You can walk to an award winning library. Services are great. Homes are well kept and improved. Prices range from 260k - 350k. Homes built between 1980 and 1990. Schools are highly rated. School sports are very successful. My neighbor moved in a year ago from Columbus and loves it. The only problem is availability at the moment. Out of 150 homes in my neighborhood, none are available. Most of the homes are sold before the sign goes up so. My new neighbors watched the neighborhood for a year before they found their home. https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...e+07-01-13.pdf

As far Berea and Olmsted Falls go. They are nice but have the disadvantage of being in the flight path for Hopkins. No thanks. Bay Village is a great community. Because of the high property taxes and utilities your choices will be limited to smaller lots and even smaller older houses. You will also have to undergo a reeducation program to pronounce Bay Village as "Baay Villaaj" (g)

Old 03-05-2021, 12:40 PM

2,014 posts, read 4,376,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKShoreman View Post
It's interesting. Grove City is roughly comparable to Brunswick. The OP should consider Westlake, Avon, or Avon Lake. Politically moderate communities with lots of services and good schools. There are homes in the 250k-300k range in those communities but they are currently scarce.
My neighborhood in AL is bordered by a park and a nature preserve with paved bike paths. You can walk to an award winning library. Services are great. Homes are well kept and improved. Prices range from 260k - 350k. Homes built between 1980 and 1990. Schools are highly rated. School sports are very successful. My neighbor moved in a year ago from Columbus and loves it. The only problem is availability at the moment. Out of 150 homes in my neighborhood, none are available. Most of the homes are sold before the sign goes up so. My new neighbors watched the neighborhood for a year before they found their home. https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...e+07-01-13.pdf

As far Berea and Olmsted Falls go. They are nice but have the disadvantage of being in the flight path for Hopkins. No thanks. Bay Village is a great community. Because of the high property taxes and utilities your choices will be limited to smaller lots and even smaller older houses. You will also have to undergo a reeducation program to pronounce Bay Village as "Baay Villaaj" (g)
So you would say Lorain County is more moderate? The county went slightly more for Trump vs. Biden, but was probably still about 72K for Biden and 76K for Trump, a roughly 48% to 51% in favor for Trump.

Maybe that is more in the rural areas of Lorain County and the former steel towns such as Elyria and Lorain itself? Just wondering what your thoughts are on that. It may be that the closer you get to suburban Cuyahoga County the more moderate or even liberal the area becomes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland