U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2021, 07:59 PM

2,804 posts, read 4,066,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitenexus View Post
By affordable I mean actually affordable, as in below $200K. I've seen a lot of people recommend Shaker Heights, but we drove through there the other day and it seemed to consist of completely run-down areas with trash on the streets and mansions, with nothing really between the two.

It sounds like you went too far, strayed from Shaker Heights, and entered the City of Cleveland's bad neighborhoods like Mt. Pleasant, Kinsman, or Buckeye-Shaker.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2021, 09:54 PM

9,949 posts, read 9,276,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
It sounds like you went too far, strayed from Shaker Heights, and entered the City of Cleveland's bad neighborhoods like Mt. Pleasant, Kinsman, or Buckeye-Shaker.
yeah gonna have to agree here. I've never met a soul who thought Shaker Heights was run down and full of trash...

Old 03-09-2021, 10:39 PM

6,402 posts, read 7,576,019 times
Quote:
I really like the neighborhood to the immediate East of Cain Park, with all the beautiful houses and nicely kept yards. If I could find a place like that with good schools, we'd be set.
I assume this neighborhood is within your budget? Honestly I wouldn't write it off so quickly if you like everything else about it except schools. Talk to some local parents and get the real scoop. The public schools might have an undeserved reputation for families in your situation, or the private schools might be more affordable than you think.

As for your tour of Shaker, I have to echo the others in thinking that you must have gone off course somewhere.

Old 03-11-2021, 03:40 PM

670 posts, read 936,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
I assume this neighborhood is within your budget? Honestly I wouldn't write it off so quickly if you like everything else about it except schools. Talk to some local parents and get the real scoop. The public schools might have an undeserved reputation for families in your situation, or the private schools might be more affordable than you think.

As for your tour of Shaker, I have to echo the others in thinking that you must have gone off course somewhere.
Isn't there a voucher program for families that live in districts with failing schools? Not to say that the neighborhood in question qualifies...

Old 03-17-2021, 02:49 PM

8 posts, read 6,002 times
I just went over my route that we drove through shaker and it looks like I did drive through some neighboring areas getting there, but the places we saw were solidly southern Shaker Heights. I've also heard a lot of praise on their school system, but some parents had other things to say - like there's a lot of bullying in the Shaker Heights schools and a lot of the teachers don't do much about it, and the homework load can be kinda insane.

We drove through Westlake this past weekend and really liked the calm, peaceful feel it had. We drove by the elementary school and it looked fantastic and well-maintained. Unfortunately, the house pricing is pretty insane - just an empty lot often runs around $200K. We also checked out Solon. Gorgeous! We're not millionaires though, so we can't afford to live there. Same with several other cities in this area.

It's pretty frustrating. In order to get into a truly good school zone in this area, it seems you have to be rich. I guess that's just how things are. I'm going to start looking into private schools around the Cleveland Heights/University Heights area. I feel paying for a private school and a nice house in my area will be cheaper overall than public school and buying a house in the nice areas.

Old 03-28-2021, 06:57 AM

166 posts, read 69,706 times
Quote:
I just went over my route that we drove through shaker and it looks like I did drive through some neighboring areas getting there, but the places we saw were solidly southern Shaker Heights. I've also heard a lot of praise on their school system, but some parents had other things to say - like there's a lot of bullying in the Shaker Heights schools and a lot of the teachers don't do much about it, and the homework load can be kinda insane.

It's pretty frustrating. In order to get into a truly good school zone in this area, it seems you have to be rich. I guess that's just how things are. I'm going to start looking into private schools around the Cleveland Heights/University Heights area. I feel paying for a private school and a nice house in my area will be cheaper overall than public school and buying a house in the nice areas.

Sorry that you didn't like Shaker....I agree with DrJ (I rent in Onaway, just bought in Fernway) about the SH neighborhoods...and I feel there are pockets of CH that I feel met your description of Shaker. However, everyone has their own preferences and if SH doesn't meet your needs, well, then, let's help you find a place that does

I remember reading somewhere that CH/UH has one of the greatest private school populations in the state...so you would not be alone. One thing that was prevalent in Boston was to have a child attend a highly rated public elementary, then transition to private as they enter middle or high school. So that may be an option if you want to stay in CH.

IIRC, Fairfax is the top elementary in CH. The Fairfax and Royals neighborhood in CH might be a good option (roughly bounded by UH city line, SH city line, Coventry and Cedar). I like the housing stock south of Meadowbrook in both neighborhoods....but you may be limited to East of Lee in your budget. But that's not necessarily bad. When house hunting, I really liked the Royals streets (e.g. Exeter, Dartmoor, Princeton....the streets south of E Fairfax from Lee to the UH city line) and you're walking distance to Canterbury elementary (and their large public space). I actually lost a bid on Princeton, it's a VERY tightly knit community and you're within walking distance of Gigi's, On the Rise, and the Shaker Lakes...a nice combo

If you do decide to stay in CH, please do, if you haven't already, read up on some shootings that took place around Cain Park (within the last 5 years). I had been looking at homes in the Forest and Coventry Hills neighborhoods, but I admit those shootings made me decide against buying in those neighborhoods. Just a heads up.

Let us know how else we can help. Cleverfield can chime in too....he's our local RE agent (raised on the East side, IIRC).

Old 03-28-2021, 09:46 AM

364 posts, read 485,957 times
Quote:

We drove through Westlake this past weekend and really liked the calm, peaceful feel it had. We drove by the elementary school and it looked fantastic and well-maintained. Unfortunately, the house pricing is pretty insane - just an empty lot often runs around $200K. We also checked out Solon. Gorgeous! We're not millionaires though, so we can't afford to live there. Same with several other cities in this area.

Did you look at Fairview Park?

Old 03-29-2021, 09:37 AM

162 posts, read 231,849 times
You may well have landed in the best place (Cleve. Hts.) for optimizing the competing objectives of good schools, reasonable housing prices and relative safety... within 30 minutes of downtown. Shaker does have a "slimmer" middle class these days (like many places sadly), but it's a fairly safe place with quality schools (with greater diversity to boot) and reasonably priced housing. It's also an easy commute downtown via RTA.

I've not been to Shaker in past few years, but from what I recall it's not blighted (at least not broadly).

Old 03-29-2021, 10:47 AM

9,732 posts, read 6,491,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad99 View Post
You may well have landed in the best place (Cleve. Hts.) for optimizing the competing objectives of good schools, reasonable housing prices and relative safety... within 30 minutes of downtown. Shaker does have a "slimmer" middle class these days (like many places sadly), but it's a fairly safe place with quality schools (with greater diversity to boot) and reasonably priced housing. It's also an easy commute downtown via RTA.

I've not been to Shaker in past few years, but from what I recall it's not blighted (at least not broadly).
Did you mean to say Shaker Heights in parentheses? Cleveland Hts. schools seem somewhat problematic currently, especially compared to Shaker schools. The OP and spouse are retirees, so schools probably don't rank high among considerations.

Your comment that Shaker has a "slimmer" middle class these days is questionable. I would like to see some statistical proof of that especially given the median home price of $259,000, higher than in many suburbs deemed middle class.

https://www.zillow.com/shaker-heights-oh/home-values/

Old 03-29-2021, 12:55 PM

162 posts, read 231,849 times
"Did you mean to say Shaker Heights in parentheses? Cleveland Hts. schools seem somewhat problematic currently, especially compared to Shaker schools. The OP and spouse are retirees, so schools probably don't rank high among considerations."

The OP states they now live in Cleve. Hts. so that was my reference. Actually, Cleve. Hts. schools are ranked quite high in multiple sources e.g., Niche ("B-"), US News (#42 of 129), Great Schools (5 of 10). Granted not as high as Shaker, but respectable. Sorry, but I must've misread the post as thought OP was considering schools?

"Your comment that Shaker has a "slimmer" middle class these days is questionable. I would like to see some statistical proof of that especially given the median home price of $259,000, higher than in many suburbs deemed middle class."

Here's some Shaker household distribution data from this site @ //www.city-data.com/income/inco...ghts-Ohio.html

% Shaker Households with incomes between $0 and $50K: 28.7%
% Shaker Households with incomes above $100K: 44.1%
% Shaker Households with incomes between $50K and $100K: 27.2%

It's all subjective (and relative) of course, but I'd consider that "slim" compared to historical figures (and to U.S. -- even first/second ring -- suburbs). I think maybe the median (50th percentile) home price may be a bit skewed since over 1/3 are valued at well over $300K (probably not middle class domiciles). Could be sign of a lot of "old money" in Shaker? Also, recall that nearly 40% of houses in Shaker are rentals as well.

Last edited by Nomad99; 03-29-2021 at 01:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland