U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2021, 10:58 AM

9,837 posts, read 6,636,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Madison, WI, IMO is a boring place to live compared with Cleveland. It is a Columbus-like college town and state capital, with none of the industrial age legacies (especially premier cultural and healthcare institutions) found in Cleveland. I would rather live in Columbus -- better sports, better amenities and better location. Despite claims to the contrary, Milwaukee's cultural institutions are regional institutions, not remotely on par with those in Cleveland. I was shocked when I visited the Milwaukee Art Museum just a few years ago. Madison is two hours from Chicago, but four hours from Minneapolis, both cities with great cultural institutions. Columbus is two hours from both Cleveland and Cincinnati, but also has easy access to cultural institutions in Dayton, Toledo, and Akron, and is only 2-3 hours from Indianapolis and Pittsburgh. It's a reasonable day trip to the great cities of the East Coast, and just a few hours to mountains, including great rafting on the New River in WV. It's five hours from Chicago and three hours from Detroit and many great destinations in Kentucky. Ohio Amish Country and especially the Mohican Region are nearby, as are great state parks such as Hocking Hills. Madison offers nothing on par with the Columbus Zoo/The Wilds.
Should be (Boldface isn't working): It's a reasonable "day's travel" to the great cities of the East Coast, NOT "day trip."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
WRnative:

This source does not have data for cloud cover directly, but it does have solar radiation in Langleys:
https://www.oardc.ohio-state.edu/weather1/

Way back when, the Wooster Sewage Plant was on their mailing list, and received monthly weather summaries, which were used as a part of the monthly Plant Operation Report.

I'm so glad I caught your comment about cloud cover. In my search to respond, I found that this site has historical records in PDF form prior to 1982. I am curious about the winter of 1978-1979. The book, Kentucky Weather by Jerry Hill states that it was another bad winter, but I don't remember it. I remember the winters of 1976-1977 and 1977-1978 quite well. Cruel, wicked weather; just no other way to put it. According to Dick Goddard's book United States Weather Ohio Edition, the winter of 1976-1977 was the coldest in recorded history for this part of the nation. The winter of 1977-1978, which occurred after the publication of the book, was even colder.
Thanks for the info. I'll have to digest it before commenting.

Old 03-29-2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLvr View Post
I just wrote out a long post and when I posted, it omitted most of it. So I deleted it as it didn’t make sense. Not sure what happened but I’ll go back and find the rules for posting.
City-data.com has had bugs for the last couple days in my experience. So perhaps copy your post to a Word file before hitting submit. Perhaps try a different browser as well. I doubt if you violated any rules for posting, but, if you did, let us know what they were if it involved the length of your post. Certainly interested in all of what you had to tell us!

Old 03-29-2021, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 4,464 times
Thank you all so much for the great information. I’ve gotten some good ideas and a lot to think about. I haven’t had time to post as much as I’d like. I’m filling in for an ex-coworker out on maternity leave and working lots of extra time. I’m finished on 5/28 and then can devote 100% to my move. Plan is to fly out in late July for a week and and move Sept/Oct. I’ve had both Covid shots but still a bit wary, hoping COVID won’t be so much of an issue then.

The pre war condos in SH are beautiful but I really want a house. I want laundry in my home, I like to garden and spend time in my own green space. Also I’m a rock loving baby boomer so tend to make a lot of noise but don’t like hearing other peoples. I’ve been looking at areas with attached garages and Lyndhurst seems to have them.

So those who have flown with cats in the cabin with them, how do you keep them quiet. When going to the vet, mine cry loud and constant and I fear getting thrown off the plane.

I think I mentioned that I was born in Elyria. So was my mom. She was raised on 8th street and she met my dad at Huntington Park. I don’t quite understand it but I have a deep pull to return to where I was born. Not necessarily Elyria, but Cleveland.

Old 03-29-2021, 01:57 PM

4,122 posts, read 2,931,380 times
Hello Waterlvr,

I lived on 12th Street in Elyria during high school so Hi Neighbor! As for your Kitty, I can tell you what worked for me. My son was graduating from Ohio State a while back and I needed to get him, his cat and everything he owned back to Los Angeles. This meant about 6 big suitcases even after shipping a bunch of boxes. We definitely wanted a non-stop flight which are few and far between from Columbus to L.A.. Most stop over in Vegas. I happened upon a Delta flight where the First Class tickets were only $ 80 more than coach. Unbelievable. The room at our feet for Kitty made everything much easier and because there are no extra bag fees in First Class, I actually saved money. We gave Kitty a little tranquilizer we got from the vet and he was fine during the 4ish hour flight. It might have been a lucky fluke, but do check out First Class fares, the accommodations for a pet are so much nicer. And don't get me started on the food. Yum! Good Luck.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:24 AM

977 posts, read 460,618 times
As for flying with cats, it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. The vet had provided tranquilizers, but didn't even need them. I nestled the carrier (had to be soft sided...not sure if that is still the case, but just fyi) down on the floor by my feet and I didn't hear a single meow the whole flight. I was expecting a lot more hassle, but it was a breeze. Hope it will be the same for you!

Old 04-18-2021, 07:28 PM

255 posts, read 687,594 times
I understand your pull home. I am the same. Hoping to move to the West Side soon. Many of my friends are naysayers. I've been gone a long time, but really want to go home. I now reside in So. Cal
Good luck and welcome home.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:03 PM

10 posts, read 4,464 times
Thank you all, and thank you Kasey77. I grew up in So Cal, I get the reactions, even in Seattle, people aren’t exactly excited for me. I haven’t been on here much lately, working 60 hr weeks. I’ll be finished before Memorial Day and plan to do a week long scouting trip, late June/early July.

Still planning to move in September. I have decided to drive. I know it sounds crazy, with 3 cats, but a friend with relatives in Cincinnati will drive with me and fly home.

I’m getting excited, seeing houses on the market in the Spring reminds me that it’s not always winter, and it’s so pretty.

I’ve seen some houses in my price range that I like in Cuyahoga Falls. It seems safe. Any pros and cons?

Old 04-19-2021, 12:38 AM

1,611 posts, read 918,654 times
Quote:
Thank you all, and thank you Kasey77. I grew up in So Cal, I get the reactions, even in Seattle, people aren’t exactly excited for me. I haven’t been on here much lately, working 60 hr weeks. I’ll be finished before Memorial Day and plan to do a week long scouting trip, late June/early July.

Still planning to move in September. I have decided to drive. I know it sounds crazy, with 3 cats, but a friend with relatives in Cincinnati will drive with me and fly home.

I’m getting excited, seeing houses on the market in the Spring reminds me that it’s not always winter, and it’s so pretty.

I’ve seen some houses in my price range that I like in Cuyahoga Falls. It seems safe. Any pros and cons?
What have your friends and/or family have been saying about your decision to relocate to Cleveland?

Old 04-19-2021, 07:38 AM

977 posts, read 460,618 times
Quote:

I'm glad you found a co-driver! That should make it much less stressful for you! As for Cuyahoga Falls...lovely and safe. I considered it as well, but 40 minutes to Cleveland was a bit of a stretch, since my main reason to move from central Ohio was to be near the city itself. It kind of depends on what you want and how far you want to drive to take advantage of what the city has to offer. WRNative probably has a ton of information, so hopefully he will chip in!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland