Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 02:26 PM

12 posts, read 15,845 times

Advertisements

Said no one ever, right?

But here I am, just turned 70, living in a location that I can’t afford to stay in, and Cleveland is calling my name. I was born in Elyria, same hospital my Mom was born but my parents moved to the West coast when I was a baby. I’ve heard stories of settling in Ohio, growing up in Ohio, all my life and I’ve been back many times.

I’ve crossed off many of the places other people retire to; Florida, Arizona, the Carolinas as too hot, too humid, too buggy, too much flooding and hurricanes. I really WANT to move to Ohio and plan on visiting in the late summer with an eye to moving in the Fall.

But first I’d like the perspective from folks that live here or who’ve moved here in the last few years and I have a couple questions.

I’m used to snow, I can drive in the snow, I even love it. I have Blizzaks on my car right now. But not used to Cleveland snow. I can handle 9-10” of snowfall, but what concerns me is 3-4 months of it. Can a single, tough but soon to be old lady handle it?

Also, I have 3 cats, so renting will be a problem. Could I find a safe neighborhood to buy a $150-200k house? East or West side doesn’t matter, but safe does. I know a condo would be wise, but I’m drawn to University Heights, the housing stock there just makes me happy, even in my price range.

I’d appreciate any insight I can get. I’ve turned here a lot as I’ve searched and I’ve gotten so much help from others experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 02:34 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,847,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLvr View Post
Said no one ever, right?

But here I am, just turned 70, living in a location that I can’t afford to stay in, and Cleveland is calling my name. I was born in Elyria, same hospital my Mom was born but my parents moved to the West coast when I was a baby. I’ve heard stories of settling in Ohio, growing up in Ohio, all my life and I’ve been back many times.

I’ve crossed off many of the places other people retire to; Florida, Arizona, the Carolinas as too hot, too humid, too buggy, too much flooding and hurricanes. I really WANT to move to Ohio and plan on visiting in the late summer with an eye to moving in the Fall.

But first I’d like the perspective from folks that live here or who’ve moved here in the last few years and I have a couple questions.

I’m used to snow, I can drive in the snow, I even love it. I have Blizzaks on my car right now. But not used to Cleveland snow. I can handle 9-10” of snowfall, but what concerns me is 3-4 months of it. Can a single, tough but soon to be old lady handle it?

Also, I have 3 cats, so renting will be a problem. Could I find a safe neighborhood to buy a $150-200k house? East or West side doesn’t matter, but safe does. I know a condo would be wise, but I’m drawn to University Heights, the housing stock there just makes me happy, even in my price range.

I’d appreciate any insight I can get. I’ve turned here a lot as I’ve searched and I’ve gotten so much help from others experiences.

Maybe not Cleveland, but looking at home prices in Toledo at age 40 has had me thinking about moving back after being away these 17 years. Could drop my savings down on a decent home in the Glass City right now and never have a mortgage again.

Old 03-21-2021, 07:51 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Winters are disappearing in northeastern Ohio.

Even when it does snow, snow removal remains fast and efficient in most suburbs. If you don't have to go out (you're retired), it usually melts within a few days. Unlike in the past, thaws generally follow snowfalls. In many suburban neighborhoods, kids go door-to-door offering to shovel.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...s-weather.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...east-ohio.html

Perhaps subscribe to cleveland.com (The Plain Dealer).

https://www.google.com/search?lei=xP...h=357&dpr=1.75

https://www.cleveland.com/datacentra...rts-march.html

Chardon is in the heart of the northeast Ohio snowbelt and it's possible to see the diminishing snowfalls here. You can see the snow season is down to 3 months.

https://www.chardon.cc/155/Yearly-Total-Snowfall

You can study annual, monthly, and even daily Cleveland weather here:

https://weatherspark.com/y/18154/Ave...tes-Year-Round

https://www.currentresults.com/Yearl...d-snowfall.php

You can check out monthly and daily (scroll right) weather totals for the past winter and earlier winters here:

https://www.wunderground.com/history...LE/date/2021-2

Read through this thread beginning with post 3.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

This thread may interest given your $200k max price. In Painesville City, areas south of the Norfolk & Western railroad likely are more safe, whereas areas north of Route 20 are more problematic.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/ohio...ille-area.html

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...rice-na-200000

Old 03-22-2021, 10:27 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterLvr View Post
If you stay out of the snowbelt, large snows shouldn't be a concern as they happen only occasionally, not constantly for three to four months. Most snow events are considerably less than 9 to 10 inches. What can make them difficult to deal with is if they occur during rush hours, but if you're retired you can easily avoid going out during rush hour.

If you can handle the winters, Cleveland definitely could be a good place to retire if you like cities with plenty of cultural/entertainment/recreational amenities and at the same time a (relatively) low cost of living.

Old 03-22-2021, 11:13 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
You are not alone! I left the expensive West Coast for Ohio when I retired. I think Cleveland is a hidden gem, BUT, a couple of things I can tell you.....first the good news...the snow is not really that bad at all. My first winter here (2018/19) I was renting in Cleveland and I remember very light snowfall, although there were a few days of polar vortex cold. If you get a condo, someone else will have to deal with snow anyway. Now, the bad news. Prices for housing in University Heights are reasonable, but ohhh, the taxes! Be prepared to pay $3-400 a month. Too rich for my blood, although I agree the houses are gorgeous and the area is very nice. Secondly, I think we are not alone in wanting to relocate here. The Cleveland Plain Dealer ran an article this weekend, that Cleveland (or maybe Ohio in general...can't remember!) is now the #5 area for relocation in the country, after Florida, Texas, Tennessee and one other place i can't remember at the moment either!) Anyway, this fact is reflected in the Cleveland area real estate market now being hot, hot, hot! I have been trying to relocate back closer to the city from where I am now in Central Ohio and houses fly off the market in one or two days. Very frustrating. My budget is similar to yours and I am now looking at surrounding areas up to 40 minutes outside the city in order to find something that fits my budget regarding price and taxes. Reminds me of the Seattle area when I first bought there back in the 2000's.....drive until you qualify. Anyway, I totally understand your wanting to move here, but I would not worry about the snow too much....finding something nice that fits your budget will be more of a challenge, IMHO.

Old 03-22-2021, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
You are not alone! I left the expensive West Coast for Ohio when I retired. I think Cleveland is a hidden gem, BUT, a couple of things I can tell you.....first the good news...the snow is not really that bad at all. My first winter here (2018/19) I was renting in Cleveland and I remember very light snowfall, although there were a few days of polar vortex cold. If you get a condo, someone else will have to deal with snow anyway. Now, the bad news. Prices for housing in University Heights are reasonable, but ohhh, the taxes! Be prepared to pay $3-400 a month. Too rich for my blood, although I agree the houses are gorgeous and the area is very nice. Secondly, I think we are not alone in wanting to relocate here. The Cleveland Plain Dealer ran an article this weekend, that Cleveland (or maybe Ohio in general...can't remember!) is now the #5 area for relocation in the country, after Florida, Texas, Tennessee and one other place i can't remember at the moment either!) Anyway, this fact is reflected in the Cleveland area real estate market now being hot, hot, hot! I have been trying to relocate back closer to the city from where I am now in Central Ohio and houses fly off the market in one or two days. Very frustrating. My budget is similar to yours and I am now looking at surrounding areas up to 40 minutes outside the city in order to find something that fits my budget regarding price and taxes. Reminds me of the Seattle area when I first bought there back in the 2000's.....drive until you qualify. Anyway, I totally understand your wanting to move here, but I would not worry about the snow too much....finding something nice that fits your budget will be more of a challenge, IMHO.

I fear that you’re right. It’s scary watching home prices increase along with interest rates. I hope I’m not priced out by the time I get there in the early Fall. That story about people moving to Cleveland was interesting, but bad timing on my part.

I’m from the Seattle area too! I’ll have to ask you about your move. I’m driving with the 3 cats. No one likes a road trip more than me, but this one won’t be fun at all.

Thank you all for the great info and encouragement on the snow. It was the one thing making me nervous, now I can just be excited!

Old 03-23-2021, 09:39 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
I do hope it all works our for you! I would be a bit leery of driving alone across country with 3 cats, but maybe I'm just a coward! I had four cats! I managed to find good homes for three and ended up flying with my oldest and dearest. If there is ANY way you can fly, I would highly recommend doing that and I hate flying...but it would be like 4 hours total, compared to days in a car. Have you done any long distance trips recently? I used to think nothing of driving across Washington state....4 hours, but did a 4 hour trip after moving here and was surprised at how drained I was! I was 65 at the time and you are 70. Of course, you might be more used to road trips than I am. Is there any way you could find a co-driver if you have to drive? Maybe pay for them to fly back? Not trying to discourage you, but you might want to think about the logistics a bit more.....

Old 03-23-2021, 06:32 PM

I have to admit that the drive does worry me. So much can go wrong. I’ve driven from southern Calif to Seattle with 2 cats, but I was much younger.
I’m going to think about flying. I have friends that might help out. They have family in Detroit and for free tickets, they might be willing to each take a cat. Then I’d just have to rent a car and drive to Cleveland.
I’ll have to look into transporting my Jetta.

Thanks for the ideas. Really gives me some things to think about.

Old 03-24-2021, 07:44 AM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
I just relocated to CLE from Portland, OR. We drove cross-country for the “scouting trip” back in Oct. For the actual relocation 10 days ago, we flew.

With 3 cats and being a solo driver, I’d also recommend flying if you can arrange that. I must say the cross-country drive was more exhausting than I thought...it had been decades since I first did that. Granted, I did it round trip, so double the pain.

If you need a recommendation on a car transport service, PM me. Just did that also.

Regarding snow...I’ve always found driving in Midwest snows to be an easier gig than navigating the mountain West snows. Combination of superior snow removal practices in the Midwest (plows, salt, etc.), generally friendlier terrain, less remoteness, more rapid thaws... Just my opinion. I would not let the prospect of CLE snow deter you one bit.

Good luck!

Old 03-25-2021, 06:45 AM

Thank you @SlideRules99. I may take you up on the car transport service recommendation, I have a 2015 Jetta with pretty low ground clearance. I might just sell it here and get something a little more snow friendly after I arrive.

I’m currently reading your “Charming Towns” thread. It’s taking awhile because I keep going back to realtordotcom to check out houses in each one. I’m really looking forward to my trip to Cleveland later in the year to see all of these places in person.

Thank you also @WRnative, I did subscribe to clevelanddotcom. Also following your links on snow. It’s interesting, CBS Sunday morning show did a segment on how climate change is affecting where people are moving and mentioned Cleveland. I’ve rewatched it several times.

This link might work for the segment.

https://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday...eather-events/

I don’t know if these @‘s work to tag posters. Still new here but it works for another board I’m on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland