U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 03:03 AM

9,780 posts, read 6,587,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Thanks very much for your insights and links/resources, as always. You have truly been invaluable.

First, why the recent draw to Lakewood? I will spell out the attractive points from my own perspective, which no doubt will differ from others’ viewpoints.

- The tinge of hipster vibe and everything that goes with it. Examples...I play music and like vegan restaurants. While not unique to Lakewood, the concentration of establishments and like-minded individuals seems higher. This is NOT a “must have” on my list, but it is attractive. SH offers some element of this (Larchmere, etc), but advantage to Lakewood.
- The tempering effect of the lake. Cooler breeze which I assume will carry for a few more months. Just more pleasant. And as you also pointed, I assume the reverse happens in late fall/early winter. I realize this is fleeting/seasonal, but makes a difference as we’re not hot weather people.
- Pedestrian-friendly corridors on Detroit Ave. and Madison with business that I would patronize. Cafes, pubs, bakeries, local shops. Again, NOT unique to LW. But contrast to, say, Chagrin Falls with all the clothing boutiques and crafts shops that are not as useful to me, personally. Cedar-Lee and Coventry are nice also, but advantage to LW in my view.
- More relaxing driving experience when navigating the town. Clifton, Lake Ave., are relaxing drives with beautiful homes and no strip malls. Even Detroit Ave. and Madison are reasonably enjoyable, as I like the “happening” vibe of people in outdoor cafes and such in good weather. Contrast to, say, Warrensville Ctr Rd, Cedar Rd, Mayfield Rd with all the stop lights, exhaust fumes, noise, weaving. (This was one item I couldn’t put my finger on, until it hit me...)
- Convenience to Ohio City establishments and Downtown attractions. I would definitely leverage this.

Now, where I think the East Side has the advantage...again, for me personally...

- Much better nature preserves and outdoor offerings. You’ve mentioned most, so I won’t repeat. As unabashed nature snobs, this is important for my wife and me. True, West Side has Rocky River Reserve, a great asset, but you can’t escape the roars of jet take-offs from Hopkins, or the traffic drone of i480 from many of the trails. Bedford/Tinkers Gorge (one of our personal favorites...) is also more accessible for East Siders than West.
- Similar theme...IMO East Side has prettier topography and terrain, more seasonal beauty from what I’ve seen in Fall, Winter, and Spring. Looks like we agree.
- Better housing value and selection for our targeted pre-ww2 home stock in places like SH and CH, relative to LW and RR. And better lot sizes/privacy in general. The numbers don’t lie; we’re following this closely.
- Convenience to UC, Little Italy is a plus on the East Side.

OK, that’s my off-the-cuff take on things, having scouted all points from Oberlin to Wadsworth to Fairport Harbor non-stop for the past month. Maybe this will help someone, as relates to Lakewood vs. other spots (this thread in general). Strictly my opinions above..

WRnative, thanks again for your thoughts on living near lake, and the various links.

Cheers!
This is a tremendous post.

You're definitely correct that it's cooler near the lake in summer months. I forget about that because I've always lived within this cooling zone even when not living directly on the lake. I take it for granted.

https://www.weather.gov/apx/lake_breeze

In the late spring, as just recently, temperatures within the cooling zone, especially northeast of Cleveland, can be 10 degrees or more cooler than in other areas in Greater Cleveland. This may not be quite as welcome as the heater effect in the same area in the autumn.

What's also true is that land areas near the lake seemingly also are more prone to microbursts, sometimes resulting in wind speeds reaching 100 mph. Although not on the lake, Cleveland Heights seems prone to microbursts; I wonder if this is because of rapidly rising elevations causing atmospheric layers to cool rapidly, intensified by heavy moisture levels due to storm fronts having just crossed a very warm Lake Erie.

https://patch.com/ohio/clevelandheig...veland-heights

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2019/...land-area.html

Euclid was hit badly by this 1993 storm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS1lQiFQO2I

I wonder if microbursts are less frequent on the west side due to the more southerly curve of the Lake Erie coast. E.g., this storm that hit Lakewood Park, but also areas well to the east, was a derecho, a long-lived straight wind event.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...fireworks.html

These are not frequent events, but can be devastating to roofs, trees and powerlines. Some national roofing materials suppliers offer lifetime warranties; something to check out when replacing a roof on a property near the lake. "Macroburst" is new terminology to me.

https://www.livescience.com/55912-mi...l%20directions.

Unlike tornadoes, microbursts apparently aren' t recorded, so it's difficult to find a record of them.

Local insurance agents likely have a good memories of microburst events in their locality.

It's also interesting how personal perspectives are different. I've always found driving through Lakewood to be painfully slow along Clifton and Lake Avenues, and Lakewood police enforce traffic laws very aggressively. I prefer the double dose of freeway exits (Route 2, I-90) in Lake County combined with marginal boulevards along Route 2 and wide north/south boulevards (such as Route 91), as well as the north/south Route 44 in the center of the county. Ditto, the many shopping districts that line I-271.

Traffic is one reason that I more often dine at Don's Lighthouse Grille rather than venture into Lakewood.

https://donslighthouse.com/

Cleveland pre-epidemic had several great Happy Hours, and one of my favorites was at Don's.

https://www.totalhappyhour.com/happy...s%20to%20enjoy!

Looking through Don's website, I didn't see any mention of a Happy Hour. Social distancing perhaps makes Happy Hours uneconomic.

Pre-epidemic, I always thought Blue Point Grille (awesome ambience), which also had a good Happy Hour, was the best seafood restaurant in Cuyahoga County, followed by Don's, which offers free parking.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...land_Ohio.html

BTW, you might want to register at this website:

https://www.clevelandindependents.com/

Last edited by WRnative; 04-12-2021 at 03:34 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 08:45 AM

109 posts, read 54,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
You're definitely correct that it's cooler near the lake in summer months. I forget about that because I've always lived within this cooling zone even when not living directly on the lake. I take it for granted.

https://www.weather.gov/apx/lake_breeze

In the late spring, as just recently, temperatures within the cooling zone, especially northeast of Cleveland, can be 10 degrees or more cooler than in other areas in Greater Cleveland. This may not be quite as welcome as the heater effect in the same area in the autumn.
Yes, it is very noticeable. Last week in a 2-hour window, I did some unscientific (car thermometer) checks in Hudson (80-deg), Cleveland Hts (78-deg), and Lakewood Park (66-deg). While Hudson and CH were by no means uncomfortably hot, the cooling breeze in Lakewood was most welcome.

Quote:
It’s also interesting how personal perspectives are different. I've always found driving through Lakewood to be painfully slow along Clifton and Lake Avenues, and Lakewood police enforce traffic laws very aggressively. I prefer the double dose of freeway exits (Route 2, I-90) in Lake County combined with marginal boulevards along Route 2 and wide north/south boulevards (such as Route 91), as well as the north/south Route 44 in the center of the county. Ditto, the many shopping districts that line I-271.
The boulevards and highways you called out are fine by me, and even pleasant in some cases (SOM Cnt Rd from, say, Pepper Pike to Willoughby Hills, much of Rt 44...).

Not a huge thing, but I particularly don’t enjoy Warrensville Cnt Rd, Cedar Rd (from i271 into CH), and many of the other routes in and around SH/CH with stop-and-go traffic, noise, exhaust, strip malls...Shaker Blvd is a much more pleasant drive, but it looks and smells like a speed trap to me.

We’d manage just fine if we ultimately land in SH or CH...but I personally do enjoy the more relaxed, scenic commutes down Lake Ave or Clifton. It puts half my brain in vacation mode. This is part of Lakewood’s appeal to me.

Quote:
BTW, you might want to register at this website:

https://www.clevelandindependents.com/
Thanks for this! I’ll look into registering.

Also, thanks for the references on happy hours and lake effect/weather patterns. Quite informative!

Old 04-12-2021, 09:16 AM

3,932 posts, read 6,339,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess_Vantassel View Post
A nonprofit group Called “housing is a human right” has been renting rooms from the Days Inn, They specialize in finding rooms for “hard to place” homeless people. (Pedophiles, Addicts, and the Mentally ill) I understand Times are hard for the travel industry, but this isn’t a safe or acceptable situation. Especially Given the motels close proximity to the parks and schools.
Look at it this way: That seemingly devoted family man in the swanky Clifton Park mansion next to yours might be a pedophile, but you don't know it because he hasn't been caught yet. Similarly, that smashingly-dressed young woman down the hall from you in your Gold Coast highrise might be a high-priced call girl, but you don't know it. And addicts can be found anywhere as well. Do you really know who your neighbors are?

Old 04-12-2021, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Not a huge thing, but I particularly don’t enjoy Warrensville Cnt Rd, Cedar Rd (from i271 into CH), and many of the other routes in and around SH/CH with stop-and-go traffic, noise, exhaust, strip malls...Shaker Blvd is a much more pleasant drive, but it looks and smells like a speed trap to me.

We’d manage just fine if we ultimately land in SH or CH...but I personally do enjoy the more relaxed, scenic commutes down Lake Ave or Clifton. It puts half my brain in vacation mode. This is part of Lakewood’s appeal to me.
I now understand your point and wouldn't disagree with you. Green Road also IMO is a more pleasant road on the East Side.

I've driven Shaker Blvd. many, many times and never considered it a speed trap, especially compared to Clifton Blvd.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:02 AM

Default Madison Park in Birdtown shootings

Lakewood's Madison Park in Birdtown has been the site of recent shootings, apparently violence spilling over from Cleveland. The City of Lakewood is taking steps to end the violence there.

<<It’s a familiar sight for many after another shooting occurred at the same park back on March 11.

Earlier this month, Lakewood resident Jon Wagner helped start the Facebook group “A Safer Lakewood,” which has accumulated nearly a thousand members.

“You know a lot of us are getting concerned at this point,” he said. “It’s only in the last year or so we’ve seen this apparent dramatic concern in crime.”>>

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...after-shooting

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/04/...park-shooting/

Lakewood's official response to second shooting:

City of Lakewood Responds to Gun Violence at Madison Park | The City of Lakewood, Ohio

Persons concerned about crime in Lakewood may want to listen to this March town hall meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgYt2J9Dv7s

My impression is that much of the recent crime activity in Lakewood results from Lakewood being a target of opportunity for criminals from neighboring Cleveland. Cleveland's social/economic problems may alleviate somewhat as the COVID epidemic wanes in the months ahead.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-16-2021 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 AM

117 posts, read 50,227 times
Quote:

As a 26 year resident of Shaker Heights and a transplant from the east coast, I am happy to report that Shaker Heights is generally relaxed and scenic in its own way. Warrensville Center Rd. and Cedar Rd. are easily avoidable by traveling on the picturesque back streets. Besides being an historic Garden City, SH has some of the most beautiful architecture anywhere to be found. BTW, Shaker Blvd. is my preferred route of travel. No worries about it being a speed trap.

Personally, I could not tolerate traffic noise from larger highways or jet noise from the airport. We cherish peace and quiet. Incidentally, Shaker enforces noise violations, including barking dogs.

Best to you.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:57 AM

109 posts, read 54,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
As a 26 year resident of Shaker Heights and a transplant from the east coast, I am happy to report that Shaker Heights is generally relaxed and scenic in its own way. Warrensville Center Rd. and Cedar Rd. are easily avoidable by traveling on the picturesque back streets. Besides being an historic Garden City, SH has some of the most beautiful architecture anywhere to be found. BTW, Shaker Blvd. is my preferred route of travel. No worries about it being a speed trap.

Personally, I could not tolerate traffic noise from larger highways or jet noise from the airport. We cherish peace and quiet. Incidentally, Shaker enforces noise violations, including barking dogs.

Best to you.
Thanks! Yes, I’ve recently been using Green Road and Shaker Blvd, along with other routes, to avoid the busier / noisier streets. It makes a huge difference. Good to hear Shaker enforces noise violations. Appreciate the info!

Old 04-18-2021, 05:01 PM

117 posts, read 50,227 times
Quote:
Living on the lake IMO, like too much of anything, becomes boring, and I lived directly on the lake for almost a decade. I would never now pay a premium to live directly on the lake, but that perhaps is just me.
WRnative makes an excellent point here.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:49 AM

951 posts, read 748,772 times
My wife and I recently moved to Lakewood from another city for some of the same reasons am the OP. We like it here. SH was one of the other locations we looked at and frankly we weren't feeling it. One thing to keep on mind is that Lakewood is a city with just over 50,000. And like all cities there can be good and bad. Some areas seem to have more crime than others. The house values can varie greatly by location. Because of this, I recommend renting for your first year as you become more familiar with the area.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:07 PM

2 posts, read 605 times
I visited Lakewood, OH for the first time in the fall of 2018.

I found it extremely clean ( of course I live in Los Angeles). It was a warm, sunny September. I ate breakfast in a diner. When I went out to my car to pay for parking, this blond haired guy, on his way to the gym, just walked over to me, smiling and said, "Hey, you don't have pay for parking on weekends!"

I went into a gorgeous park along the lake. There was a wedding going on. The park was pristine. There were people biking, jogging, enjoying themselves. The views out over Lake Erie were gorgeous.

I'm also gay...I understand Lakewood is very gay. But it had an old-fashioned, quaint, porch and flag and grandma feeling about it.

A few months later I came back, in December 2018. This time it was raining hard. I was on my way to the airport to fly back on LA, and decided to eat lunch. I went to a superb Middleastern restaurant. It was delicious. Next to me, a group of three people were having a discussion about education and schools. They were so civil, so smart, so well-mannered.

If I had to live in Lakewood I think I would be quite happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland