U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-23-2021, 06:31 PM
 
365 posts, read 489,583 times
Reputation: 314

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcobed View Post
I visited Lakewood, OH for the first time in the fall of 2018.

I found it extremely clean ( of course I live in Los Angeles). It was a warm, sunny September. I ate breakfast in a diner. When I went out to my car to pay for parking, this blond haired guy, on his way to the gym, just walked over to me, smiling and said, "Hey, you don't have pay for parking on weekends!"

I went into a gorgeous park along the lake. There was a wedding going on. The park was pristine. There were people biking, jogging, enjoying themselves. The views out over Lake Erie were gorgeous.

I'm also gay...I understand Lakewood is very gay. But it had an old-fashioned, quaint, porch and flag and grandma feeling about it.

A few months later I came back, in December 2018. This time it was raining hard. I was on my way to the airport to fly back on LA, and decided to eat lunch. I went to a superb Middleastern restaurant. It was delicious. Next to me, a group of three people were having a discussion about education and schools. They were so civil, so smart, so well-mannered.

If I had to live in Lakewood I think I would be quite happy.
When we first moved here (Rocky River) in 2008 from the Bay Area, Ca, I literally could feel
the stress dripping away. It's an especially wonderful place for raising kids and Lakewood Park will always be our favorite park!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-04-2021, 04:58 PM
 
170 posts, read 74,847 times
Reputation: 245
Slide, I think you've covered most of the differentials. I would add 4 more:

1. Shaker has a slightly stronger school district
2. Proximity to CVNP from the East side
3. You can mostly avoid the ugly streets in Shaker by targeted driving and it adds virtually no extra time.
4. Closer to Lake Erie Islands on the West Side

I went back and forth on SH/Lakewood for months. Finally, after maybe my 10th drive thru Lakewood, I just couldn't get past the lot sizes, very different neighborhood by neighborhood vibes/housing stock and amount of rental properties. Shaker just felt more like home. But what I value may not be what you value

I would also agree with the recommendation to rent for awhile. I know you have to unpack 2x, but it keeps you from making the 'wrong' decision. Eventually, one of them will feel like home.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2021, 05:38 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
109 posts, read 54,454 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechieTechie View Post
Slide, I think you've covered most of the differentials. I would add 4 more:

1. Shaker has a slightly stronger school district
2. Proximity to CVNP from the East side
3. You can mostly avoid the ugly streets in Shaker by targeted driving and it adds virtually no extra time.
4. Closer to Lake Erie Islands on the West Side

I went back and forth on SH/Lakewood for months. Finally, after maybe my 10th drive thru Lakewood, I just couldn't get past the lot sizes, very different neighborhood by neighborhood vibes/housing stock and amount of rental properties. Shaker just felt more like home. But what I value may not be what you value

I would also agree with the recommendation to rent for awhile. I know you have to unpack 2x, but it keeps you from making the 'wrong' decision. Eventually, one of them will feel like home.
Thanks TT, I would agree with these adds.

Both Lakewood and SH have their charms. Lakewood incorporates more “hipster edge” IMO, while Shaker scores higher on the idyllic neighborhoods meter.

For us it will be a property-specific decision. We also have a broader search zone and we’re open to “one offs” in Geauga, Lake, or potentially even Summit counties. All depends on what comes available.

Incidentally, bummer on Lakewood’s recent mini-spate of gun violence. Watching community’s response and subsequent trends heading into summer months.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-05-2021, 12:06 PM
 
9,780 posts, read 6,587,198 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Thanks TT, I would agree with these adds.

Both Lakewood and SH have their charms. Lakewood incorporates more “hipster edge” IMO, while Shaker scores higher on the idyllic neighborhoods meter.

For us it will be a property-specific decision. We also have a broader search zone and we’re open to “one offs” in Geauga, Lake, or potentially even Summit counties. All depends on what comes available.

Incidentally, bummer on Lakewood’s recent mini-spate of gun violence. Watching community’s response and subsequent trends heading into summer months.

I believe all of the gun violence is on the east side of Lakewood, nearest Cleveland.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH USA / formerly Chicago for 20 years
3,932 posts, read 6,339,010 times
Reputation: 2869
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I believe all of the gun violence is on the east side of Lakewood, nearest Cleveland.
The latest shooting was at Madison and Elmwood Avenues, which is west of Warren Road.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM
 
9,780 posts, read 6,587,198 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
The latest shooting was at Madison and Elmwood Avenues, which is west of Warren Road.
Are neighborhoods north of Detroit Ave. relatively violence free?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 07:55 PM
 
951 posts, read 748,772 times
Reputation: 865
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
The latest shooting was at Madison and Elmwood Avenues, which is west of Warren Road.
There is generally less crime on the west side of Lakewood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM
 
951 posts, read 748,772 times
Reputation: 865
One thing about Lakewood is that most homes have a front porch, but in Shaker most homes do not. We really like sitting on our front porch.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:19 AM
 
Location: Portland, OR
109 posts, read 54,454 times
Reputation: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Are neighborhoods north of Detroit Ave. relatively violence free?
Just checked my crime app. No real problems north of Detroit Ave in Lakewood. Just some isolated nuisance stuff like catalytic converter thefts and car break-ins. Exception is when you approach the CLE border (near W. 117th) where some more violent incidents start showing up on the tracker.

As people have noted, West and North seem to be pretty darn safe.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Today, 09:30 AM
 
9,780 posts, read 6,587,198 times
Reputation: 5653
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Just checked my crime app. No real problems north of Detroit Ave in Lakewood. Just some isolated nuisance stuff like catalytic converter thefts and car break-ins. Exception is when you approach the CLE border (near W. 117th) where some more violent incidents start showing up on the tracker.

As people have noted, West and North seem to be pretty darn safe.
Thanks for the info! What crime app do you use? How much does it cost, if anything? TIA.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top