Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2021, 02:52 PM

994 posts, read 901,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
I realize any answer to this question would be highly dependent on your specific neighbors. But I’ll ask anyway.

With tighter quarters (lot sizes), a front porch/back patio culture, and what appears to be a healthy dose of younger, hip residents...

Are Lakewood folks pretty considerate about keeping noise levels down in the neighborhoods past, say, 9p? I’ve had bad experiences with Thurs 2a raging parties in neighborhoods which have looked/felt similar. Granted, this was West Coast.

Any insights appreciated, and hopefully this isn’t too far off topic.
For the most part, yes. However, it might also depend on your street and neighbors. On streets with more doubles that are rented to young folks, there will be more loud parties. On streets with fewer of those properties, it should be pretty quiet. One exception might be the 4th of July, as it seemed like most streets were loud and celebrating, but partially because they wanted to be done with the pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 05:12 PM

469 posts, read 433,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
For the most part, yes. However, it might also depend on your street and neighbors. On streets with more doubles that are rented to young folks, there will be more loud parties. On streets with fewer of those properties, it should be pretty quiet. One exception might be the 4th of July, as it seemed like most streets were loud and celebrating, but partially because they wanted to be done with the pandemic.
Thanks! I can handle holiday noise and a weekend party now and then. It’s more annoying when we’re talking weeknights or an “every single Saturday night” type of situation. Your answer was helpful.

Old 05-07-2021, 07:31 PM

994 posts, read 901,027 times
Quote:
Thanks! I can handle holiday noise and a weekend party now and then. It’s more annoying when we’re talking weeknights or an “every single Saturday night” type of situation. Your answer was helpful.
I would say just make sure the homes next to you aren't doubles and you should be fine.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:56 PM

453 posts, read 301,654 times
Quote:
Just checked my crime app. No real problems north of Detroit Ave in Lakewood. Just some isolated nuisance stuff like catalytic converter thefts and car break-ins. Exception is when you approach the CLE border (near W. 117th) where some more violent incidents start showing up on the tracker.

As people have noted, West and North seem to be pretty darn safe.
LOL Lakewood is not even 7 square miles!

I don't think you guys are paying attention or you're just comparing to "bad neighborhoods". Kinda like when people move to FL from Chicago and say "OH YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT BAD TRAFFIC IS!" when we comment on traffic here.

I don't consider Lakewood "safe" any more and stopped my research into moving there.

YOU HAVE A POLITICAL PROBLEM!

Even in 2018 - NOT SAFE there were 7 car jackings in 7 weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/Fox8NewsCle...0330255860294/

Nov 25, 2020!

In-Depth: Lakewood, Cleveland police work to solve carjacking crime spree

“Police are not allowed to even chase suspects and the criminals know that, so it’s a free ticket to do crime anywhere in the city of Cleveland.”

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ng-crime-spree

I live in Florida. NOTHING like this crap happens in my entire township. And before you say it, correct, it doesn't border a place like CLEVELAND. But it also doesn't happen in my old township outside Philly - City of Murder. We do, however have legit violence further down in South FL primarily gang violence.

IN PART:

sexual assault is right where the 3 Building Westerly SENIOR HOUSING complex is located:

Assault at 14600 BLOCK OF DETROIT AVE on 07/06/2021 8:44 AM

A Lakewood woman was carjacked at gunpoint around 6:30 a.m. in the 13000 block of Detroit Avenue.

She told police two suspects approached her and one hit her on the head with a gun before driving away in her Honda Civic.

6/30 Assault at DETROIT AVENUE on 06/30/2021 8:39 PM

3/24/21 Aggravated robbery: Detroit Avenue Police at 6:33 a.m. March 24 received a report of a woman screaming in the 13500 block of Detroit. Police report that a rifle was used in a carjacking, and the victim’s blue Honda Accord took off eastbound on Detroit.

3/24 Attempted robbery: Delaware Avenue A woman laid on her horn at 6:25 a.m. March 24, scaring off two men in black hooded sweatshirts and black ski masks who had approached her vehicle as she backed out of her driveway. One of the men pointed a gun at her window. They told her to get out of her vehicle. Instead, she sounded the horn.

7/12/21 Five teen boys attempt to carjack a woman in Lakewood on West 117th & Madison. 1.5 miles from The Westerly. 5 teen boys ages 14 to 17 approached her car and then punched her on the head several times. pointed a BB gun at her and demanded that she give up her car.

4/15/21 Cleveland area rideshare drivers afraid to get behind the wheel after at least 6 drivers carjacked

https://www.fullcourtgreta.com/2021/...ers-carjacked/

“I’ve heard of a few women that have been hurt; a guy in Lakewood was hurt,” Reedy said. “It’s made me wanna think about carrying, and you’re not allowed to carry if you’re an Uber or Lyft driver, so it’s getting to the point now where I’m really thinking about not doing this.

Last edited by huitrecouture; 07-31-2021 at 03:41 PM..

Old 07-31-2021, 04:00 PM

194 posts, read 190,394 times
Uh oh...somebody's in trouble.

Old 07-31-2021, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
LOL Lakewood is not even 7 square miles!

I don't think you guys are paying attention or you're just comparing to "bad neighborhoods". Kinda like when people move to FL from Chicago and say "OH YOU DON"T KNOW WHAT BAD TRAFFIC IS!" when we comment on traffic here.

I don't consider Lakewood "safe" any more and stopped my research into moving there.

YOU HAVE A POLITICAL PROBLEM!

Even in 2018 - NOT SAFE there were 7 car jackings in 7 weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/Fox8NewsCle...0330255860294/

Nov 25, 2020!

In-Depth: Lakewood, Cleveland police work to solve carjacking crime spree

“Police are not allowed to even chase suspects and the criminals know that, so it’s a free ticket to do crime anywhere in the city of Cleveland.”

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ng-crime-spree

I live in Florida. NOTHING like this crap happens in my entire township. And before you say it, correct, it doesn't border a place like CLEVELAND. But it also doesn't happen in my old township outside Philly - City of Murder. We do, however have legit violence further down in South FL primarily gang violence.

IN PART:

sexual assault is right where the 3 Building Westerly SENIOR HOUSING complex is located:

Assault at 14600 BLOCK OF DETROIT AVE on 07/06/2021 8:44 AM

A Lakewood woman was carjacked at gunpoint around 6:30 a.m. in the 13000 block of Detroit Avenue.

She told police two suspects approached her and one hit her on the head with a gun before driving away in her Honda Civic.

6/30 Assault at DETROIT AVENUE on 06/30/2021 8:39 PM

3/24/21 Aggravated robbery: Detroit Avenue Police at 6:33 a.m. March 24 received a report of a woman screaming in the 13500 block of Detroit. Police report that a rifle was used in a carjacking, and the victim’s blue Honda Accord took off eastbound on Detroit.

3/24 Attempted robbery: Delaware Avenue A woman laid on her horn at 6:25 a.m. March 24, scaring off two men in black hooded sweatshirts and black ski masks who had approached her vehicle as she backed out of her driveway. One of the men pointed a gun at her window. They told her to get out of her vehicle. Instead, she sounded the horn.

7/12/21 Five teen boys attempt to carjack a woman in Lakewood on West 117th & Madison. 1.5 miles from The Westerly. 5 teen boys ages 14 to 17 approached her car and then punched her on the head several times. pointed a BB gun at her and demanded that she give up her car.

4/15/21 Cleveland area rideshare drivers afraid to get behind the wheel after at least 6 drivers carjacked

https://www.fullcourtgreta.com/2021/...ers-carjacked/

“I’ve heard of a few women that have been hurt; a guy in Lakewood was hurt,” Reedy said. “It’s made me wanna think about carrying, and you’re not allowed to carry if you’re an Uber or Lyft driver, so it’s getting to the point now where I’m really thinking about not doing this.
Since you keyed off my post…you should re-read my assessment (based on actual crime data) that the North and West parts of Lakewood were pretty darn safe. Almost all your examples were either in the South or East parts of Lakewood. Exceptions would be your example of a sexual assault at Westerly Senior Housing complex (central Lakewood). Was that the well publicized incident back in 2014? I couldn’t find anything in 2021. That’s not to say it didn’t happen, I just don’t see it.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...n-85/242077872

Your last example occurred in Kinsman neighborhood, unless you’re referring to a Lyft driver saying generically “some guy in Lakewood got hurt”.

And how does monitoring a near real-time crime app (as I do…) equate to “not paying attention”?

Bottom line…again…North / West areas of Lakewood do not show much crime. That does not mean zero crime. It also does not mean South and East Lakewood are free of problems. Far from it, as any reliable crime app data will show.

People considering any location should be well informed with data, and make their own decisions based on risks and rewards.

Old 08-03-2021, 01:29 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Since you keyed off my post…you should re-read my assessment (based on actual crime data) that the North and West parts of Lakewood were pretty darn safe. Almost all your examples were either in the South or East parts of Lakewood. Exceptions would be your example of a sexual assault at Westerly Senior Housing complex (central Lakewood). Was that the well publicized incident back in 2014? I couldn’t find anything in 2021. That’s not to say it didn’t happen, I just don’t see it.

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/lo...n-85/242077872

Your last example occurred in Kinsman neighborhood, unless you’re referring to a Lyft driver saying generically “some guy in Lakewood got hurt”.

And how does monitoring a near real-time crime app (as I do…) equate to “not paying attention”?

Bottom line…again…North / West areas of Lakewood do not show much crime. That does not mean zero crime. It also does not mean South and East Lakewood are free of problems. Far from it, as any reliable crime app data will show.

People considering any location should be well informed with data, and make their own decisions based on risks and rewards.
Can't give you cred at this time, but superb rebuttal.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:46 PM

453 posts, read 301,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Can't give you cred at this time, but superb rebuttal.
That's no rebuttal. How is that a rebuttal lol? Saying research before moving, yeah ummm. That's exactly what I've done.

Lakewood is SEVEN SQUARE MILES so I really don't want to hear about North vs South. In fact, that's LAUGHABLE.

Are you guys saying a certain class of people don't deserve a safe neighborhood?

My entire county in Florida - 600 sq miles population 150K (THREE TIMES GREATER THAN LAKEWOOD)....has NEVER EVER had a carjacking or any other similar violent crime not including a couple of morons shooting each other over drug deals in our tiny ghetto of 4 streets.

Then again we don't have woke politicians making ridiculous police policies like not being allowed to chase criminals.

Crime isn't new to me I'm from Philly. But even my HUGE Bucks County suburb doesn't have these violent crimes.

Lakewood city leaders holding virtual town hall to address recent series of violent crimes

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...violent-crimes

3 armed carjackings reported in Lakewood in one night 11-18-21

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...g-for-suspects

Lakewood police on alert after 2 aggravated robberies Tuesday OUTSIDE OF O'NEIL'S ASSISTED LIVING! 11-4-21

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...beries-tuesday

A coach and a small group of park-goers thwarted an apparent attempted abduction at Madison Park in Lakewood.

Isn't that the same park they removed the BBall hoops temporarily due to shootings?

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/10/...ficer-arrived/

Old 11-21-2021, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huitrecouture View Post
That's no rebuttal. How is that a rebuttal lol? Saying research before moving, yeah ummm. That's exactly what I've done.

Lakewood is SEVEN SQUARE MILES so I really don't want to hear about North vs South. In fact, that's LAUGHABLE.

Are you guys saying a certain class of people don't deserve a safe neighborhood?

My entire county in Florida - 600 sq miles population 150K (THREE TIMES GREATER THAN LAKEWOOD)....has NEVER EVER had a carjacking or any other similar violent crime not including a couple of morons shooting each other over drug deals in our tiny ghetto of 4 streets.

Then again we don't have woke politicians making ridiculous police policies like not being allowed to chase criminals.

Crime isn't new to me I'm from Philly. But even my HUGE Bucks County suburb doesn't have these violent crimes.

Lakewood city leaders holding virtual town hall to address recent series of violent crimes

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...violent-crimes

3 armed carjackings reported in Lakewood in one night 11-18-21

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...g-for-suspects

Lakewood police on alert after 2 aggravated robberies Tuesday OUTSIDE OF O'NEIL'S ASSISTED LIVING! 11-4-21

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...beries-tuesday

A coach and a small group of park-goers thwarted an apparent attempted abduction at Madison Park in Lakewood.

Isn't that the same park they removed the BBall hoops temporarily due to shootings?

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/10/...ficer-arrived/
Good grief, you are comparing Lakewood to sprawling Bucks County, PA? Do I need to point out how ridiculous this analogy is?

Lakewood is a tiny dot. It is a wonderful, quirky place, IMO. But…from its center, you can practically throw a rock and hit high crime areas of Cleveland to the east or south. Many people (myself included) consider it a neighborhood of Cleveland, city governance notwithstanding. Obviously there is spillover crime into Lakewood from CLE, concentrated mainly (NOT entirely) in the border areas.

Go back and read my rebuttal. It correctly points out (based on SpotCrime data) that there is less crime (not zero crime) the further north and west you go in Lakewood. If you wish to not scroll up, here is the punch line.

“Bottom line…again…North / West areas of Lakewood do not show much crime. That does not mean zero crime. It also does not mean South and East Lakewood are free of problems. Far from it, as any reliable crime app data will show.”

Are you contemplating a move to CLE area? Perhaps you should lay out your criteria and let people try to help you in good faith. What is your desired buffer from crime areas…10 miles? 20 miles? If that’s the case, you need to rule out all of Lakewood, along with Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and a host of other potential neighborhoods and cities.

Finally, your agenda on “wokeness” is abundantly clear. My rebuttal contained absolutely no reference to policing, city council policies, and such. It was simply based on crime statistics. If part of your criteria is a more hawkish local government position on law and order, you should start a post as such. You actually might get some helpful inputs. Or maybe you just wanted to rant, I dunno. If so, I just wasted my time.

Last edited by SlideRules99; 11-21-2021 at 07:15 AM..

Old 11-21-2021, 11:09 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Default Cheap condos in Euclid

If you want to live on the lake, check out the Bonneville Towers in Euclid. One reason units are cheap there is that there is a long waiting list for indoor parking.

At all units, check carefully wants included in monthly condo fees. As with other converted apartment buildings, fees at the Bonneville include all heat, air-conditioning, water, sewer and waste removal, as well as cable service.

For any condo, carefully review reserves and whether there are engineering studies properly estimating maintenance costs, such as for HVAC, roofs, building caulking, balcony water-proofing, unit window and door replacement, etc.

Euclid may not be as dynamic and demographically prosperous as Lakewood, but the Bonneville is close to the new lakefront development. It's also convenient for the great beaches in Lake County, as well as the Lake Metroparks, and Holden Arboretum. It's also convenient for the massive retail offerings in Mentor and the northern Ohio's upscale shopping mecca in Beachwood Mall/Legacy Village. Sims Park in Euclid is a nice lakefront park with a pier and access to the new lakefront trail.

See post 32 in this thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...id-like-4.html

Benton Village condos are not directly on the lake, but they are on Lakeshore Blvd. in Euclid. I believe they are extraordinarily inexpensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland