Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2021, 09:16 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tess_Vantassel View Post
A nonprofit group Called “housing is a human right” has been renting rooms from the Days Inn, They specialize in finding rooms for “hard to place” homeless people. (Pedophiles, Addicts, and the Mentally ill) I understand Times are hard for the travel industry, but this isn’t a safe or acceptable situation. Especially Given the motels close proximity to the parks and schools.
Look at it this way: That seemingly devoted family man in the swanky Clifton Park mansion next to yours might be a pedophile, but you don't know it because he hasn't been caught yet. Similarly, that smashingly-dressed young woman down the hall from you in your Gold Coast highrise might be a high-priced call girl, but you don't know it. And addicts can be found anywhere as well. Do you really know who your neighbors are?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2021, 11:37 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Not a huge thing, but I particularly don’t enjoy Warrensville Cnt Rd, Cedar Rd (from i271 into CH), and many of the other routes in and around SH/CH with stop-and-go traffic, noise, exhaust, strip malls...Shaker Blvd is a much more pleasant drive, but it looks and smells like a speed trap to me.

We’d manage just fine if we ultimately land in SH or CH...but I personally do enjoy the more relaxed, scenic commutes down Lake Ave or Clifton. It puts half my brain in vacation mode. This is part of Lakewood’s appeal to me.
I now understand your point and wouldn't disagree with you. Green Road also IMO is a more pleasant road on the East Side.

I've driven Shaker Blvd. many, many times and never considered it a speed trap, especially compared to Clifton Blvd.

Old 04-16-2021, 07:02 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Default Madison Park in Birdtown shootings

Lakewood's Madison Park in Birdtown has been the site of recent shootings, apparently violence spilling over from Cleveland. The City of Lakewood is taking steps to end the violence there.

<<It’s a familiar sight for many after another shooting occurred at the same park back on March 11.

Earlier this month, Lakewood resident Jon Wagner helped start the Facebook group “A Safer Lakewood,” which has accumulated nearly a thousand members.

“You know a lot of us are getting concerned at this point,” he said. “It’s only in the last year or so we’ve seen this apparent dramatic concern in crime.”>>

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...after-shooting

https://www.cleveland19.com/2021/04/...park-shooting/

Lakewood's official response to second shooting:

City of Lakewood Responds to Gun Violence at Madison Park | The City of Lakewood, Ohio

Persons concerned about crime in Lakewood may want to listen to this March town hall meeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgYt2J9Dv7s

My impression is that much of the recent crime activity in Lakewood results from Lakewood being a target of opportunity for criminals from neighboring Cleveland. Cleveland's social/economic problems may alleviate somewhat as the COVID epidemic wanes in the months ahead.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-16-2021 at 07:10 AM..

Old 04-18-2021, 10:37 AM

134 posts, read 125,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Not a huge thing, but I particularly don’t enjoy Warrensville Cnt Rd, Cedar Rd (from i271 into CH), and many of the other routes in and around SH/CH with stop-and-go traffic, noise, exhaust, strip malls...Shaker Blvd is a much more pleasant drive, but it looks and smells like a speed trap to me.

We’d manage just fine if we ultimately land in SH or CH...but I personally do enjoy the more relaxed, scenic commutes down Lake Ave or Clifton. It puts half my brain in vacation mode. This is part of Lakewood’s appeal to me.
As a 26 year resident of Shaker Heights and a transplant from the east coast, I am happy to report that Shaker Heights is generally relaxed and scenic in its own way. Warrensville Center Rd. and Cedar Rd. are easily avoidable by traveling on the picturesque back streets. Besides being an historic Garden City, SH has some of the most beautiful architecture anywhere to be found. BTW, Shaker Blvd. is my preferred route of travel. No worries about it being a speed trap.

Personally, I could not tolerate traffic noise from larger highways or jet noise from the airport. We cherish peace and quiet. Incidentally, Shaker enforces noise violations, including barking dogs.

Best to you.

Old 04-18-2021, 11:57 AM

469 posts, read 432,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ship4u View Post
As a 26 year resident of Shaker Heights and a transplant from the east coast, I am happy to report that Shaker Heights is generally relaxed and scenic in its own way. Warrensville Center Rd. and Cedar Rd. are easily avoidable by traveling on the picturesque back streets. Besides being an historic Garden City, SH has some of the most beautiful architecture anywhere to be found. BTW, Shaker Blvd. is my preferred route of travel. No worries about it being a speed trap.

Personally, I could not tolerate traffic noise from larger highways or jet noise from the airport. We cherish peace and quiet. Incidentally, Shaker enforces noise violations, including barking dogs.

Best to you.
Thanks! Yes, I’ve recently been using Green Road and Shaker Blvd, along with other routes, to avoid the busier / noisier streets. It makes a huge difference. Good to hear Shaker enforces noise violations. Appreciate the info!

Old 04-18-2021, 05:01 PM

134 posts, read 125,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Living on the lake IMO, like too much of anything, becomes boring, and I lived directly on the lake for almost a decade. I would never now pay a premium to live directly on the lake, but that perhaps is just me.
WRnative makes an excellent point here.

Old 04-20-2021, 08:49 AM

994 posts, read 900,605 times
My wife and I recently moved to Lakewood from another city for some of the same reasons am the OP. We like it here. SH was one of the other locations we looked at and frankly we weren't feeling it. One thing to keep on mind is that Lakewood is a city with just over 50,000. And like all cities there can be good and bad. Some areas seem to have more crime than others. The house values can varie greatly by location. Because of this, I recommend renting for your first year as you become more familiar with the area.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:07 PM

9 posts, read 8,373 times
I visited Lakewood, OH for the first time in the fall of 2018.

I found it extremely clean ( of course I live in Los Angeles). It was a warm, sunny September. I ate breakfast in a diner. When I went out to my car to pay for parking, this blond haired guy, on his way to the gym, just walked over to me, smiling and said, "Hey, you don't have pay for parking on weekends!"

I went into a gorgeous park along the lake. There was a wedding going on. The park was pristine. There were people biking, jogging, enjoying themselves. The views out over Lake Erie were gorgeous.

I'm also gay...I understand Lakewood is very gay. But it had an old-fashioned, quaint, porch and flag and grandma feeling about it.

A few months later I came back, in December 2018. This time it was raining hard. I was on my way to the airport to fly back on LA, and decided to eat lunch. I went to a superb Middleastern restaurant. It was delicious. Next to me, a group of three people were having a discussion about education and schools. They were so civil, so smart, so well-mannered.

If I had to live in Lakewood I think I would be quite happy.

Old 04-23-2021, 06:31 PM

372 posts, read 592,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcobed View Post
I visited Lakewood, OH for the first time in the fall of 2018.

I found it extremely clean ( of course I live in Los Angeles). It was a warm, sunny September. I ate breakfast in a diner. When I went out to my car to pay for parking, this blond haired guy, on his way to the gym, just walked over to me, smiling and said, "Hey, you don't have pay for parking on weekends!"

I went into a gorgeous park along the lake. There was a wedding going on. The park was pristine. There were people biking, jogging, enjoying themselves. The views out over Lake Erie were gorgeous.

I'm also gay...I understand Lakewood is very gay. But it had an old-fashioned, quaint, porch and flag and grandma feeling about it.

A few months later I came back, in December 2018. This time it was raining hard. I was on my way to the airport to fly back on LA, and decided to eat lunch. I went to a superb Middleastern restaurant. It was delicious. Next to me, a group of three people were having a discussion about education and schools. They were so civil, so smart, so well-mannered.

If I had to live in Lakewood I think I would be quite happy.
When we first moved here (Rocky River) in 2008 from the Bay Area, Ca, I literally could feel
the stress dripping away. It's an especially wonderful place for raising kids and Lakewood Park will always be our favorite park!

Old 05-04-2021, 04:58 PM

210 posts, read 173,552 times
Slide, I think you've covered most of the differentials. I would add 4 more:

1. Shaker has a slightly stronger school district
2. Proximity to CVNP from the East side
3. You can mostly avoid the ugly streets in Shaker by targeted driving and it adds virtually no extra time.
4. Closer to Lake Erie Islands on the West Side

I went back and forth on SH/Lakewood for months. Finally, after maybe my 10th drive thru Lakewood, I just couldn't get past the lot sizes, very different neighborhood by neighborhood vibes/housing stock and amount of rental properties. Shaker just felt more like home. But what I value may not be what you value

I would also agree with the recommendation to rent for awhile. I know you have to unpack 2x, but it keeps you from making the 'wrong' decision. Eventually, one of them will feel like home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland