U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 07:15 AM

105 posts, read 54,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Yes. In Shaker. The culture there is more similar to the NYC metro area. But, the Youngstown Boardman Warren area? No. They stick close to home.

And these are students who's families have the money to send them where ever they want.

My take? They are afraid they won't return.
I think you are over-analyzing this. If interested, you can actually look up top “interest” destination colleges for any high school in the U.S. Major caveat...it appears the data is self reported by Niche users, however that works. Regardless, it is likely a good barometer.

As expected, the most popular choices are almost always the closest public universities that give good “bang for the buck” results.

For Boardman HS in Youngstown, that is YSU...a 15 minute commute.

https://www.niche.com/k12/boardman-h...youngstown-oh/

For Bellport HS in Brookhaven, Long Island, NY, that is SUNY at Stony Brook...also a 15 minute commute.

https://www.niche.com/k12/bellport-s...brookhaven-ny/

That doesn’t directly address your theory on the “best and brightest” from Youngstown/Warren being artificially constrained by the parents to local colleges. But what the data does show is a predictable pattern of local colleges being top picks, followed by state schools further out, and so on.

BTW, I am not sure I’d consider the steady pipeline of NE OH kids to places like OSU and University of Cincinnati to be consistent with keeping them close to the nest. My $.02.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2021, 08:36 AM

65 posts, read 44,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
If you look at the explanation for how US News ranks their best high schools, you will find that undeserved student performance weighs in on 2-3 of their methadological categories. So maybe it's because Shaker Heights High School did not score well in the amount of Black, Hispanic, and low income students taking and passing AP exams or being proficient in math and English. There may be a huge gap between privileged student performance and undeserved student performance and US News apparently does not like this. Take a look for yourselves: https://www.usnews.com/education/bes...h-school-15302.
I'm sure you mean "underserved" and not "undeserved"?

Old 05-02-2021, 07:48 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,102,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BilboTBagginz View Post
I'm sure you mean "underserved" and not "undeserved"?

Whoops . Must have typed too quickly again.

Old 05-04-2021, 09:35 AM

1,617 posts, read 1,961,982 times
One thing is for sure:

The Orange of today sure as hell isn't the Orange of the 90s when I was in high school.

Old 05-04-2021, 12:05 PM

181 posts, read 156,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBideon View Post
One thing is for sure:

The Orange of today sure as hell isn't the Orange of the 90s when I was in high school.
How is it different, TB?

DR J

Old 05-04-2021, 04:36 PM

170 posts, read 74,672 times
I can't speak to the USNWR rankings, but I can speak to the in state/out of state.

In my OH high school (graduating class of 150) I can think of only 3 classmates that went out of state...to 1 out of state big 10 school, 1 ACC school and a top private liberal arts school. At least in my class, staying close to home was a combination of grades, personal comfort, perceived finances, recommendations of guidance counselors and the understanding what doors that 'name' schools can open.

I think the first 4 weigh very heavily towards staying close to home....I find many folks underestimate the amount of financial aid made available to unique applications and how 'big name' schools can drive important career objective. I know it weighed upon me. And, in the olden days (before the common app) I think many folks limited the number of schools to apply to (with limited time spent on reach/unknown schools) because the application process was so laborious.

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

181 posts, read 156,444 times
Default Results from Votes on NEO School Levies (May 4, 2021)

https://www.cleveland.com/news/2021/...increases.html

Old Yesterday, 11:12 AM

6,405 posts, read 7,617,911 times
Shaker is an IB school, not an AP school. If US News is factoring AP classes and tests in, that would be a factor.

I agree that Ohioans tend to stay in-state. It seems to me that Ohio has a really large number of universities and colleges. Income can't be ignored either; high performing or not, out of state and private schools are expensive. Even with scholarships, traveling to and from school to see family can be an obstacle.

Shaker certainly bucks the trend, but again I think this is due to income and probably a higher number of out-of-state transplants. I get the sense that even middle class shaker residents are disproportionately from out of state compared to other Ohio communities.

And yes, there is a culture difference as well. We started a 529 college savings account for my preschooler this year. Within our Shaker social circle this was unthinkable, we should have started it when my wife was pregnant! Within my larger "Ohio" circle, we're basically the only people who even have a 529 account at all, even among friends with middle and high school aged students.

Old Yesterday, 02:27 PM

21,054 posts, read 26,587,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
It’s been a long while, but when I graduated from Warren public schools, most students in my circle (including myself) did not have the money to attend Ivy League schools. Even with the SAT scores and GPAs/rankings to potentially get there, we opted for state schools based purely on finances, coming from mostly middle class families. The scholarships and in-state fees made this doable, without drowning in debt.

Just hypothesizing it is a different scenario for many Long Island based families, as compared to Warren. I have no idea on your daughter’s friends situation, so this may or may not be the case these days.

And again, this was a while ago...
I don't only mean Ivy League, but other well respected colleges that are nationally ranked.

Many of these colleges offer to cover ALL tuition expenses for qualified students. All Ivies do, for students who could otherwise not afford to attend.

As much as I was satisfied with my daughter's education at WG Harding, the guidance counseling department is not really interested in helping students with selecting the best college or university available. They do have their hands full with the needs of underperforming students. However, ALL High School Guidance Counselors should be aware of the prestigious colleges that can meet ALL financial needs of applicants.

The following colleges will meet ALL financial needs of qualified accepted students - they are NOT the only ones. https://blog.prepscholar.com/college...-financial-aid

There are other colleges and universities that meet all - or almost all - financial needs.

My daughter graduated from Harding five years ago and spent two years at a university that covered 98% of financial needs, then transferred to a university in Florida because she decided that she did not want to attend law school, she wanted a profession she could enter directly after graduation, so she transferred to a public university in FL.

The point is, these universities are NOT a secret. The list I gave is NOT comprehensive at all. but it gives you an idea of the many elite universities that are open to high achievers regardless of their families finances.

Attending a nationally ranked university, as opposed to a regional college, has many benefits. First, leaving the area is an education in and of itself. Meeting and learning with people from diverse geographical areas is an education in and of itself.

I grew up in the suburbs of NYC. If there was one place that I did not want to attend college, that would be NYC. Why? I was familiar with it. I was born there and spent the first six years of my life there. Later we visited frequently. I wanted something different.

I don't think money is the only reason why NE Ohio parents do not send their students to out of area colleges. I think some aren't aware that these colleges exist and others are afraid that their students will not return home after graduation.

Last edited by sheena12; Yesterday at 02:50 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:06 PM

9,778 posts, read 6,583,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't think money is the only reason why NE Ohio parents do not send their students to out of area colleges. I think some aren't aware that these colleges exist and others are afraid that their students will not return home after graduation.
There's perhaps another motivating factor for both Ohio parents and students when making university choices. Ivy and other prestigious private schools, with the exception of those few northern schools such as Stanford and Northwestern, don't have very good football teams. The Ivies didn't even play football or basketball this past year.

I'm not certain I'm joking. I know of a couple kids from California who decided on Big Ten schools because they wanted big-time sports programs. Big Ten schools offer good students from CA decent academic scholarships despite the family's wealth.

Football is such a significant part of Ohio culture, it's not desirable to go somewhere where it's much less a part of the atmosphere than in an Ohio student's high school. Even small high schools in Ohio, like Kirtland, still heavily emphasize football. It's a connection that has evolved over the past century for many families. Life without a football culture is akin to a life without Thanksgiving as a social connection.

Have you ever known anybody with Notre Dame connections? I have a friend in CA who didn't attend ND, but her brother did and she's from South Bend, and she still follows ND football intensely. Her son played football, beginning at UCLA before transferring.

It's not just the football culture, but also the marching band culture. My brother attended an Ohio liberal arts college and was in the marching band. We went to see a football game there to see the marching band.

I wonder if John Carroll or Mount Union could defeat the Ivy champ. I'm fairly that would be no problem in football for Ohio's MAC teams let alone Ohio State and Cincinnati. Ditto for Youngstown State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland