U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:41 PM

105 posts, read 54,039 times

Advertisements

I think the football culture observation is a good one. To many, this is part of the total college campus experience (think...crisp Fall night, bonfires, pep rally, marching band, big time college football game...). Quintessential Ohio.

There is another fact that has not been mentioned. There are many top-notch academic programs at various campuses in Ohio. In Engineering, for example, OSU, UC, and Case all rank top 10% or better nationally. In years past, I believe it has been even higher. Perhaps not “elite”, but strong enough to attract most of the top manufacturing, Tech, and consulting firms for recruiting.

As an Engineering grad from an in-state school, my good buddies at a certain big-name Tech firm were BS @ MIT and Lehigh. We all ended up at the same place in the same department.

Regards.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 09:21 AM

2,031 posts, read 4,403,394 times
Another things I think makes a difference is the acceptance rates. It is great to offer free tuition and cover all expenses, but you first still have to qualify not only for the debt relief but also admittance to the university. As I mentioned earlier, that can be a dark and murky process, something I am surprised is not dragged into the light. Having worked as a college worker in honors admissions at OSU, it can be interesting to see the process even from a partial angle. As test scores are becoming even less and less a standard, I can only imagine the decisions being even murkier in how these colleges and universities accept students.

While I am all for being transparent, I do still think levels of readiness are needed measures to determine admittance. I just think there is, especially when big money is present, and these ivy leagues reek of big money, a level of opaqueness to a process in selecting students. Most ivies don't even give you a basis to measure the percentages off of the total applications submitted. Per the linked article, Columbia did, "... Columbia said the number of applicants surged by more than 50% this year, with more than 60,000 applications."

Per CBS from last April: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-p...ance-rate-low/

"Here are the admission rates to the Ivy League colleges for the class of 2025:

Harvard, 3.4%
Columbia, 3.7%
Princeton, 4%
Yale, 4.6%
Brown, 5.4%
University of Pennsylvania, 5.7%
Dartmouth, 6.2%

Cornell said it admitted 5,863 students to the Class of 2025, but didn't disclose the number of applicants."

The article goes on to talk about low income student applicants dropping as well due to pandemic related economic concerns. Essentially, I feel the ivies' relief program is nothing more than a PR stunt.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland