U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2021, 11:49 AM

3,989 posts, read 6,454,505 times

Advertisements

In 2018, Cleveland was ranked Gamma-plus. Now, in 2020, it's ranked Gamma-minus.

The World According to GaWC 2020
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 12:09 PM

10,122 posts, read 9,697,446 times
How will we ever recover????

Old 07-19-2021, 02:05 PM

149 posts, read 32,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How will we ever recover????
To compete globally? (Isn't that what that index is about?)

Or even just to compete domestically:

Do something about that airport. It's the first thing people see when they get off a plane. Have people working there who don't act like they are butt-hurt that they showed up to work. Have correct and clear signage about where everything is...baggage, Uber/Lyft, hotel shuttles, etc.

Enforce noise restriction that are already on the books. Don't allow people to race around downtown in loud screaming vehicles at 2 a.m. on weekend nights.

Demolish abandoned buildings so they can't become invaded by the criminal gang/drug element. Better to have an empty lot than THIS:

Old 07-19-2021, 02:10 PM

3,302 posts, read 4,386,467 times
I always have to shake my head when people complain about the airport. Some of the world’s greatest cities - New York, London, Rome, Berlin have pretty terrible airports. The quality of a city’s airport has little to nothing to do with the quality of a city.

Old 07-19-2021, 02:34 PM

London Heathrow was ranked 12th in the world in a recent survey of travelers. Even old and small relic Houston Hobby made the top 70. JFK was #77 worldwide. Phoenix, Boston, Minneapolis, L.A., Seattle, SFO, DFW, Atlanta, Denver, Cincinnati, Houston Intercontinental all made the top 100 in the world.

People are too accepting of the status quo in Cleveland. That's part of the problem. You want the city to be outstanding? Like University Circle? Like Case Western Reserve? Like all the things that are good about Cleveland? Then the city has to stop accepting what's wrong and making excuses for it.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:13 PM

3,302 posts, read 4,386,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittydore View Post
London Heathrow was ranked 12th in the world in a recent survey of travelers. Even old and small relic Houston Hobby made the top 70. JFK was #77 worldwide. Phoenix, Boston, Minneapolis, L.A., Seattle, SFO, DFW, Atlanta, Denver, Cincinnati, Houston Intercontinental all made the top 100 in the world.

People are too accepting of the status quo in Cleveland. That's part of the problem. You want the city to be outstanding? Like University Circle? Like Case Western Reserve? Like all the things that are good about Cleveland? Then the city has to stop accepting what's wrong and making excuses for it.
Nobody is accepting what's wrong with the city, just saying that the airport is not and should not be top priority. Large successful cities know this. Have you ever been to Laguardia? Thriving Berlin has the worst rated airport in the world. Even Pittsburgh, the latest darling of urbanists has a pretty terrible outdated airport.

Old 07-19-2021, 04:43 PM

From an internet review very recently about the chaos created by the disorganization at Hopkins made worse by unmarked or poorly marked everything when you get off a flight. This is your first impression of Cleveland... disorganized and apathetic - aka satisfied with the status quo instead of fixing it...

quote:
"Pick up outdoors is a nightmare. People just parking three deep and waiting. Where are the police to keep this from happening. Horrible."
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?pb=!1...8Q9fkHegQIARBK

This would be easy to fix compared to gangs, carjackings, unemployment, etc. So why make excuses for it instead of fixing it?

Old 07-19-2021, 05:01 PM

10,122 posts, read 9,697,446 times
I think we are better off keeping the abandoned buildings by far. I am so tired of seeing other cities beautifully renovate historical buildings, eventually turning into decent neighborhoods, where Cleveland destroys its history at the drop of a hat, leaving vacant lots that never get filled in.

Old 07-20-2021, 07:51 AM

189 posts, read 90,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloCleaveland View Post
Looks like East Cleveland, not Cleveland in that pic.
Sorry, gang, but when people think of a city, they tend to lump that in with the surrounding metropolitan area. Same with New York, Boston, Chicago, LA, Seattle and the like. I've lived in several of these cities and as a resident I judge the city not just on the city boundry but the area as a whole (since one obviously spends a lot of time thruout the metro area).

And until East Cleveland turns itself around, it is going to turn a lot of people off to the metro CLE area (I avoid it like the plague, depresses the h%ll outta me, just like some CLE city neighborhoods).

And, a nice airport is nice, but not a deal killer. IMHO, the CLE airport is not bad (for a midsized airport), could be hella lot worse (and trust me, I've travelled through close to 100 airports in my time, so I know airports). The offsite rental car pickup/parking sucks, but that's the worst of it.

Last edited by TechieTechie; 07-20-2021 at 08:29 AM..

Old 07-20-2021, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I think we are better off keeping the abandoned buildings by far. I am so tired of seeing other cities beautifully renovate historical buildings, eventually turning into decent neighborhoods, where Cleveland destroys its history at the drop of a hat, leaving vacant lots that never get filled in.
Heinen's Downtown is historic and beautiful. Tower Center/Terminal Tower are. Don's Lighthouse Grill. Tudor Arms. The Arcade. St. Theodosius Cathedral. Playhouse Square. etc etc etc

NOT beautiful or historic or even better than a vacant lot:

There is no way stuff like ^ THIS ^ will ever be nice again and turn a neighborhood around.

Last edited by smittydore; 07-20-2021 at 08:17 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland