Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2022, 02:02 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

YES - I know there are some old threads - I don't have time - literally - to look through anything! I also need advice I can't get from Realtors. PLEASE HELP ME, guys. I am generous with rep, too!!!!

Here's the situation - In the early 2000s, I worked in Ukrainian adoption. I made some friends there and I have kept in touch with a woman who was only 18 then. Her mom had just died and we have kept in touch. I am a friend and mother figure to her.

I told her to leave Ukraine after the first bombing. She finally left and sought refuge in Poland, then moved to Ireland. Her husband has received a deferment from conscription because of a motorcycle accident and damage to his leg and back. They applied for US asylum, to be a parolee in the US, with my husband and I as their sponsors.

We've been looking for a house all summer. Every time we find one that would be suitable, it is SOLD. This has happened over and over. It was annoying, but since we were not in any rush, we weren't worried.

SUDDENLY - the two received an invitation letter to the US. We are very happy, but we need a larger home that will accommodate two more adults, plus our adult children and visiting friends. We need more bathrooms and bedrooms.

We have a buyer who wants the house, He is waiting for us.

We know that we like Cleveland Heights, University Heights, S. Euclid, and Shaker Heights. Parma seems good, but a little far. Richmond Heights seems *may* be OK. Other than that, we are lost. As far as the city is concerned, we're not sure about what parts of the city of Cleveland are good. We like Tremont. It's not affordable and it doesn't have the kind of housing we are looking for. I'm not sure if Coventry is part of Cleveland, we see very large homes there, but I think many are multi-family. We really do not want that.

We have three dogs, and our Ukrainian friends have a dog they are taking to the US. We need a yard and a finished basement.

Thank you in advance. This house is just too small and needs so much work. We are tired of Warren. We would have moved YEARS ago, but my DH had a health problem, my father died, out of state, then covid-19 came - then home prices went through the roof.

Your opinions on Cleveland metro areas are most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2022, 06:03 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
YES - I know there are some old threads - I don't have time - literally - to look through anything! I also need advice I can't get from Realtors. PLEASE HELP ME, guys. I am generous with rep, too!!!!

Here's the situation - In the early 2000s, I worked in Ukrainian adoption. I made some friends there and I have kept in touch with a woman who was only 18 then. Her mom had just died and we have kept in touch. I am a friend and mother figure to her.

I told her to leave Ukraine after the first bombing. She finally left and sought refuge in Poland, then moved to Ireland. Her husband has received a deferment from conscription because of a motorcycle accident and damage to his leg and back. They applied for US asylum, to be a parolee in the US, with my husband and I as their sponsors.

We've been looking for a house all summer. Every time we find one that would be suitable, it is SOLD. This has happened over and over. It was annoying, but since we were not in any rush, we weren't worried.

SUDDENLY - the two received an invitation letter to the US. We are very happy, but we need a larger home that will accommodate two more adults, plus our adult children and visiting friends. We need more bathrooms and bedrooms.

We know that we like Cleveland Heights, University Heights, S. Euclid, and Shaker Heights. Parma seems good, but a little far. Richmond Heights seems *may* be OK. Other than that, we are lost. As far as the city is concerned, we're not sure about what parts of the city of Cleveland are good. We like Tremont. It's not affordable and it doesn't have the kind of housing we are looking for. I'm not sure if Coventry is part of Cleveland, we see very large homes there, but I think many are multi-family. We really do not want that.

We have three dogs, and our Ukrainian friends have a dog they are taking to the US. We need a yard and a finished basement.

Thank you in advance. This house is just too small and needs so much work. We are tired of Warren. We would have moved YEARS ago, but my DH had a health problem, my father died, out of state, then covid-19 came - then home prices went through the roof.

They are not inner ring suburbs, but I would at least check out Mentor and perhaps Willoughby with an open mind. Both likely are cheaper than the suburbs you are considering. Both have superb Lake Metroparks, Mentor Headlands Beach, Mentor Marsh State Nature Preserve, Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve, and Holden Arboretum nearby. Mentor likely has the best recreation amenities of any Cleveland suburb, and Willoughby residents could use those facilities for an extra fee. Mentor has very low taxes and the sixth largest retail center in Ohio. The Cleveland Clinic is constructing a new hospital in Mentor and there are two UH hospitals within 15 minutes east (Tripoint) and west (Lake West) of Mentor in Lake County, as well as a big UH medical center in Mentor. I-90 and Route 2 provide easy access to both downtown and Univ. Circle from Lake County, and with I-271, easy access to the Mayfield Hts. and Beachwood/Lyndhurst shopping meccas.

Given your Ukrainian guests, I thought that Lake County's Laketran "Dial-a-Ride" point-to-point transit service may be a benefit given the expense of car ownership. Also, very importantly, Lakeland Community College in Willoughby is one of the best in the state and may provide your Ukrainian guests a quick, economical way to develop job skills; it also uniquely has a University Center offering four-year and graduate degrees.

If interested, ask some questions. There are likely articles discussing Mentor and Willoughby in this thread, and you certainly could find more information using the search engine.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/clev...cleveland.html

As for inner ring suburbs, one that you didn't mention that might interest you is Highland Hts., which in a past year was selected as one of the nation's best 50 small cities by Money magazine, as was Mentor in another year. I believe bjimmy is an expert on Univ. Hts if you want to DM him with some questions.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

There are some larger homes in other central Lake County communities, such as Kirtland Hills, Painesville (often century+ homes), Willoughby Hills, Kirtland, Concord Township, and Painesville Township, but I don't know how often they are on the market in your price range. Search 44077, 44060, 44094 and 44095 zip codes.

https://www.zillow.com/homes/44077_rb/

Also, use Google to search for zillow.com "home values" for any community of interest.

https://www.zillow.com/home-values/2...land-hills-oh/

Census Bureau quick facts also may be helpful.

https://www.point2homes.com/US/Neigh...ographics.html

Mentor has a dog park as does Lake Metroparks Farmpark in Kirtland. Lake Metroparks Fairport Harbor Beach has a dog beach.

Good luck!

Last edited by WRnative; 10-08-2022 at 06:34 PM..

Old 10-08-2022, 08:19 PM

469 posts, read 432,450 times
Cleveland Heights is welcoming, diverse, progressive, culturally rich, and convenient to many of the metro’s best amenities.

Importantly, it also has the type of housing stock that would accommodate your extended family + guests. There are large, mostly pre-ww2 homes that could suit you well. Look to Cedar Fairmount, Coventry Village, Ambler Heights, or potentially Cedar Lee.

You hadn’t mentioned budget, but Zillow or Realtor will tell you pretty quickly if you’re within range.

I would also find a local realtor, who should be able to understand your needs and hone in on search areas. PM me if you’d like a recommendation on that front.

Best of luck to you!

Old 10-09-2022, 07:31 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:

Hi Sheena, I'm a Realtor in the area, so I'm not sure if you want my advice . As others mentioned, parts of Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights would fit your needs as well, however most are older so you or your Realtor need to have a good eye for maintenance issues, and large homes in the nicer parts of those suburbs tend to be pretty pricey. Parma is not going to be as liberal as the Heights area, but there is a large Ukrainian community, and in south Parma there are larger homes with nice-sized yards that should work for you. You may also want to look into parts of Wickliffe, Willowick, Eastlake, and Mentor.

Old 10-09-2022, 09:14 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Hi Sheena! Just how many beds/baths do you need? I will be putting my home up for sale this spring (probably too long for you to wait). It is 3 beds, 1.5 bath with finished basement....I think the previous owners were planning to add a bath to the basement, as there is a space and building materials. Fully fenced, large backyard with patio, fireplace and garden space. I am located in Euclid, though, which you didn't mention, but close to Lake County border. What is your budget? I think all of the advice given so far is good.....certainly look at Willoughby, Wickliffe, Willowick, Mentor....maybe even out to Painesville....it seems nice and is growing....good luck to you and bless you for your kindness!

Old 10-09-2022, 04:26 PM

Thank you! I tried to rep everyone who responded. I've given too much recent rep to some of you, but as soon as I'm able, I will give you reo!

YES! If you are a realtor, please send me a DM.

I've never been to Willoughby, Wickcliffe, Mentor, or Painsville. Is Painsville rural? I'm not a "rural" person, in general, but I am being openminded. I need to be openminded right now.

Please don't hesitate to give any direct messages.

I am aware of the Ukrainian population in Parma, and yes; we are open to it. We are pre-approved for a mortgage, but it's lower than it should be because we worked less during quarantine. So, right now, it's only $170,000, which is disappointing and limiting. The taxes in some of the areas we are looking, are very high. Does anyone know why?

Old 10-09-2022, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn hunter View Post
Hi Sheena! Just how many beds/baths do you need? I will be putting my home up for sale this spring (probably too long for you to wait). It is 3 beds, 1.5 bath with finished basement....I think the previous owners were planning to add a bath to the basement, as there is a space and building materials. Fully fenced, large backyard with patio, fireplace and garden space. I am located in Euclid, though, which you didn't mention, but close to Lake County border. What is your budget? I think all of the advice given so far is good.....certainly look at Willoughby, Wickliffe, Willowick, Mentor....maybe even out to Painesville....it seems nice and is growing....good luck to you and bless you for your kindness!
A minimum of three bedrooms, we need a finished basement, 2 full baths would be ideal. More bedrooms would also. A reasonably updated kitchen. An area that is more forward thinking and lively than Warren.

Old 10-10-2022, 12:47 AM

Default Painesville and Greater Painesville

Lake County, from Mentor west, now is almost fully developed. Exceptions, PERHAPS, areas in Willoughby Hills and Kirtland. There perhaps is some significant acreage there that could be developed but still is in private, family ownership. I wouldn't describe any of it as rural.

Southern Mentor, such as off Route 615 near I-90, still is being developed. That's where the new Cleveland Clinic hospital is being built. However, development in the last 10 years likely leaves little room for further development in Mentor proper.

If there are rural areas of Lake County remaining in Painesville and Concord Township, they aren't significant. E.g., open fields in Painesville Twp., just outside of Painesville and east of Route 44 have been developed in the last few years. Ditto, areas south of Jackson St. in Painesville proper off Shamrock Blvd.

Painesville is a very old community, at one point in the early 19th century, a rival of Cleveland's. Sixty years ago it was a regional retail center. It remains the county seat of Lake County, and a significant part of its economy is anchored by county government. Significant neighborhoods there have century old, even 19th century housing. E.g., perhaps stay in a bed and breakfast in Painesville or the Lakehouse Inn (apparently the former Steele Mansion). It is largely fully developed.

https://thelakehouseinn.com/blog/steele-mansion/

There used to be several highly-rated B&Bs in Painesville and Willoughby. A quick perusal makes me think most are out of business, perhaps due to the COVID epidemic. E.g., Fitzgerald's in Painesville was owned and operated by a former Painesville City Council member who certainly could provide an excellent overview of the area, but it appears that B&B may be closed. Having lunch with that owner would not be the worst idea. Its ratings used to be stellar, much higher than in these dated reviews.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/fitzgeralds...+%26+Breakfast

I'm not certain about staying at Rider's Inn (it is OLD). It is likely the oldest surviving stage coach inn in northeast Ohio. It's worth a visit, because it gives a feel for old Painesville, as does Joughin's Hardware, a must visit if you are seriously considering Painesville or anywhere in central Lake County.

Personally, if I were looking at housing in Painesville proper, I would check out neighborhoods near Lake Erie College, and certainly south of Route 20. The Lake Metroparks in Painesville, such as Beaty Landing and the Greenway Corridor, are worth a look. Holden Arboretum, Mentor Headlands Beach, and several other very good Lake Metroparks such as Fairport Harbor beach are short drives from Painesville.

https://www.lakemetroparks.com/parks...beaty-landing/

https://www.lakemetroparks.com/parks...enway-corridor

Painesville also has a conservation area just east of its Main Street bridge. This area used to be condos that were destroyed by a 500-year flood. I haven't been there in several years, but I suspect it is a truly wild place now because it was fairly wild when it first opened. Painesville Recreation Park is on the west side of the Grand River at the Main St. bridge. It has a Grand River trail, if I remember correctly. All of the schools in Painesville are relatively new (opened in the last 10 years and relatively well built unlike some new schools from what I've heard), with tennis courts at Harvey High School, if that's an interest.

As in Cuyahoga County, checking out parks, both local and metroparks, is an excellent first step in understanding Lake County communities. Note the park map and trail map links at the top of this page. Definitely visit Mentor Headlands (including the Mentor Dunes Nature Preserve at the eastern end of the parking lot) and Fairport Harbor beaches, Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve, and perhaps the Mentor Marsh Nature Preserve, if you've never been there, in addition to Holden Arboretum and the Lake Metroparks of interest -- Girdled Road, Chapin Forest, Farmpark and Penitentiary Glen are key Lake Metroparks in central Lake County. Chapin has a winter recreation lodge with manicured and lighted cross country trails and great hiking trails up Gildersleeve Mountain.

https://www.lakemetroparks.com/parks-trails/

Going to local council meetings in any community you are considering is not a bad idea, and a great opportunity to ask questions that are unanswered. Also, check out the local libraries.

I'm not certain about your overall housing budget, but I have a hunch that the North Collinwood area of Cleveland, from west of East 185th St., and neighborhoods off of Euclid Ave. in Euclid and South Euclid, may in addition to Lake County offer you the best chance of finding a larger home at a more reasonable price range. Perhaps check out Euclid north of I-90, but many of these homes are bungalows, but there are some duplexes that may be an option. Larger homes north of Lakeshore Blvd. will be more expensive. The neighborhoods off Lloyd Road north of I-90 might offer some opportunities. Some of those neighborhoods are in Euclid, and to the east, in Willowick. Willowick is in Lake County so you could retain residential status for Laketran and Lakeland Community College.

I'm not extremely familiar with local neighborhoods in Wickliffe, Eastlake, Willowick and Willoughby Hills, but there may be options there, but many homes are smaller built after WWII.

Here's a thread on Coventry in Cleveland Hts. See post 7 for a discussion of old hardware stores, including Joughin in Painesville. Old hardware stores are an interest of mine!

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...-not-dead.html

This thread about Cleveland Hts. and Shaker Hts. also has links describing Painesville, both currently and in the past, which I remember from my youth when it was the major retail destination in Lake County, and likely Geauga County as well. Mentor, which was greatly nursery land when I was a kid, now is the major retail destination in Lake County and beyond. Definitely check out posts 31 and on in this thread.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...ker-hts-4.html

This thread also is has some good links for Lake County and an excellent discussion of Greater Cleveland metroparks.

//www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

Hope this helps your research efforts.

Last edited by WRnative; 10-10-2022 at 01:05 AM..

Old 10-10-2022, 08:31 AM

1,303 posts, read 854,381 times
Quote:
Thank you! I tried to rep everyone who responded. I've given too much recent rep to some of you, but as soon as I'm able, I will give you reo!

I've never been to Willoughby, Wickcliffe, Mentor, or Painsville. Is Painsville rural? I'm not a "rural" person, in general, but I am being openminded. I need to be openminded right now.

I am aware of the Ukrainian population in Parma, and yes; we are open to it. We are pre-approved for a mortgage, but it's lower than it should be because we worked less during quarantine. So, right now, it's only $170,000, which is disappointing and limiting. The taxes in some of the areas we are looking, are very high. Does anyone know why?
Maybe some areas of Painesville are rural, but I would say most are not. I almost bought a house there, but like you, thought it was rural and out in the middle of nowhere! Now, I kind of wish I had! If you can buy in Lake County as opposed to Cuyahoga County, I would say go for it. LakeTran is pretty good and runs everywhere. Of the three, I would say Willoughby over Wickliffe or Willowick, if you can swing it. I am reasonably familiar with the Eastside suburbs, so happy to offer whatever advice I can.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:53 AM

Quote:

If you're being open-minded, don't rule out Geauga County. I'm not familiar with the housing stock, but there may be more affordable, larger homes, certainly homes with larger lots. Some of it is rural, or at least semi-rural, but Chardon actually is a very charming city, sort of an eastern Medina with a nice town square, small businesses, some big box stores, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland