Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 09:39 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
It's legal to decide who you want to sell your home to. For example, I can imagine that some sellers would, for sentimental reasons, reject the offer of a buyer who plans to tear the house down and rebuild, even if that buyer offered a higher purchase price than another buyer.
I don't think it's legal if your decision is based on race, color, or creed. Granted, this may be difficult to prove for single sales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2023, 12:30 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,042,845 times
Interesting report from the Bank of America on domestic migration flows.

https://business.bofa.com/content/da...-continues.pdf

"A key theme that shaped the housing market during the pandemic was domestic migration (i.e., people moving within the US).
While data from the Census Bureau is broken down by metropolitan statistical areas (MSAs), it is only updated annually and can
be outdated for real time analysis"

Also reviewed by NEOtrans: https://neo-trans.blog/2023/06/08/bo...-to-cleveland/

From the NEOtrans article:
* Cleveland, Tampa and Dallas each saw a 6 percent increase in Millennial population over the past three years, all ranking second to Austin’s 16 percent growth rate, BofA said.
* apartment rents are rising faster in Greater Cleveland than in any other urbanized region in Ohio
* Data for Greater Cleveland showed that, since about 2017, more people with college degrees were moving into the region than moving out

Old 06-24-2023, 03:14 PM

1,501 posts, read 5,103,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I've repeatedly suggested Mentor or Willoughby, but you apparently consider them too far from Cleveland, or not sufficiently "progressive," but they offer a lot of housing value and offer much better parks and natural areas and retail access than the cities you are listing.

I know of no city in Greater Cleveland with better recreational amenities than Mentor, and it has very reasonable property taxes and excellent emergency services. The new Cleveland Clinic hospital in Mentor will open soon.

Personally, I find driving from central and western Lake County to Beachwood Mall/Legacy Village, University Circle and downtown very, very easy (I could give you driving/parking tips for all of these places).

Painesville would offer even better housing values than Mentor. Like Euclid, some of its neighborhoods are much better than others -- Cummings/Charlotte for older homes and newer houses off Cedarbrook.

I'm surprised that the housing market in places such as Richmond Heights, Lyndhurst and South Euclid are so competitive, especially given higher mortgage rates.

I agree with bjimmy that if you're looking at those three cities, you should consider the nicer neighborhoods of Euclid -- north of Lakeshore Blvd. and off Lloyd Road. The area of Willowick off Lloyd Road also is nice, and offers access to Laketran's Dial-a-Ride, point-to-point shuttle service, superb for seniors.

Have you contacted realtors familiar with Lake County and/or Euclid?

Apparently there is a housing supply crisis nationally. I heard CNBC's housing expert today speculate that Cleveland will see an influx of buyers given its relatively low prices.... If Cleveland is so difficult, I wonder what other areas you might consider are like. The following video was truncated and didn't include the comment about Cleveland.

https://www.cnbc.com/video/2023/04/0...dy-walden.html

IMO, you're much too obsessed with "progressive" areas and underestimate the qualities of persons living in Lake County. It will be interesting, but I have a hunch you'll see many fewer Trump signs in Lake County in this election cycle, but perhaps I'm just an optimist. Politics are only an issue if you make it one, and I know many persons of polar opposite political views (based on their political signs) in my neighborhood who are friendly with each other.

I understand the appeal of North Collinwood, but I'm very discouraged by the emergency services crisis in Cleveland.

Good luck!!!
We just returned from a week long visit to Mentor, on the south side near I-90. We had forgotten how ridiculously convenient it really is to everything. We timed it as 23 minutes to Beachwood Place, 27 minutes to the Art Museum, 29 minutes to Progressive Field, and 33 minutes to the car rental return at the airport. We would love to have that level of convenience where we are in the north Atlanta suburbs. And the traffic is non-existent compared to ATL. It’s almost enough for us to consider moving back up there.

Old 06-30-2023, 07:53 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transplant99 View Post
It's legal to decide who you want to sell your home to. For example, I can imagine that some sellers would, for sentimental reasons, reject the offer of a buyer who plans to tear the house down and rebuild, even if that buyer offered a higher purchase price than another buyer.
Actually I don’t think that’s what is happening

Let’s say I list a house for 300
I have 325 fha 300 conventional or 280 cash with waiving everything

I’m taking the 280

Old 07-01-2023, 11:48 AM

194 posts, read 190,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Actually I don’t think that’s what is happening

Let’s say I list a house for 300
I have 325 fha 300 conventional or 280 cash with waiving everything

I’m taking the 280
You're likely right in many cases, but my post was not intended to be an analysis of Cleveland's real estate market. I was only providing an example of one situation in which a seller might accept an offer with a lower purchase price and, more importantly, to make the point that a seller is not prohibited by law from an accepting an offer that does not contain the highest purchase price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland