Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:11 AM

22 posts, read 69,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I'm in Youngstown, not Cleveland. But my highest gas bill over the last couple years was about $205. (not this year) My house is 93 years old, but is only about 1000 s.f. and has newer vinyl windows. I also think it helps that the houses are clustered so close together. (there's only about 10 feet between my house and neighboring houses.
GAK! My highest gas bill in Southern CA has been $55! I almost never need to run the furnace (though I notice I run it more now than when I first moved here--I think I have lost that Cleveland hardiness LOL). MY bill is about $20 in the summer (just cooking and dryer).

As someone pointed out, housing is much much MUCH costlier here--but groceries are less. Car insurance is higher but car repairs are less frequent (the winters just ruin brakes and mufflers--never replaced another muffler since I moved here!). You dont need to buy expensive winter coats and sweaters or boots. But I am not sure that all adds up when it comes to how much you pay for housing. I rent and pay $1475 for a 2 bd/2 ba guest house. And that is below market--where I to move into this place today, it would be more like $2000 a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2008, 05:51 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,275,861 times
I don't know what the debate here is about. Look at any cost of living index, most major western metropolitan areas are much more expensive than Cleveland and Ohio in general. Focusing on one or two things, like natural gas bills, doesn't really show us much.

Old 06-14-2008, 09:22 AM

256 posts, read 736,289 times
Well, I have made my decision any way. I am moving back to Cleveland. People here think I am crazy! But, I want to be near family and friends. I am certainly not going to be one of those Cleveland bashers. I have always loved Cleveland.

Old 06-14-2008, 08:47 PM

5 posts, read 16,684 times
Default Has anyone moved back after being gone long?

I lived down south for 20 years and came back for the same reasons - the people are real here, and you can never replace friends and family. Life is too short! I moved back to Cleveland (Old Brooklyn) to make a difference ... with all the foreclosures, this city needs people who are enthusiastic and who want to preserve the history of the city. We all love our sports teams, and there is so much going on in the city. I love being back -- you can head to wineries, go to outdoor concerts, ride your bike through the metroparks, check out all the museums on the east side, etc. Anyone who says that Cleveland is dying is dead wrong, at least from an entertainment standpoint. I was in Tremont on Monday, downtown last night, and I'll be hiking the towpath tomorrow.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:36 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
So...to the two people who moved to San Diego for 31 years and the other one who moved to the South for 20 years; you had your turn, you moved away and experienced something that you weren't experiencing here. I don't know if it was for employment purposes or just plain "get out of town purposes", but either way, you did what you wanted to do. So now you're coming back home or have come back home to roost. Good for you. Let others do what they want and quit acting all superior because you moved back to Cleveland. Some of us have been in this area our whole lives or most of our lives and if we want to try out somewhere else, like let's say for 31 or 20 years, then so be it. It doesn't mean that anyone's bashing Cleveland or thinks that Cleveland sucks or whatever. Good day.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:48 AM

15 posts, read 75,913 times
I lived in FLA for about 12 years- came back, family, friends- I really didn't care for the transient state of Florida- you'd get to know someone and next thing....gone.
All things equal, I prefer the northern climes

Old 06-15-2008, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
So...to the two people who moved to San Diego for 31 years and the other one who moved to the South for 20 years; you had your turn, you moved away and experienced something that you weren't experiencing here. I don't know if it was for employment purposes or just plain "get out of town purposes", but either way, you did what you wanted to do. So now you're coming back home or have come back home to roost. Good for you. Let others do what they want and quit acting all superior because you moved back to Cleveland. Some of us have been in this area our whole lives or most of our lives and if we want to try out somewhere else, like let's say for 31 or 20 years, then so be it. It doesn't mean that anyone's bashing Cleveland or thinks that Cleveland sucks or whatever. Good day.
Huh? Not sure where you are coming from here? Thought you wrote me a very nice post on the other site. Who is acting superior? Must have misinterpreted something!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelandgrrl View Post
I lived down south for 20 years and came back for the same reasons - the people are real here, and you can never replace friends and family. Life is too short! I moved back to Cleveland (Old Brooklyn) to make a difference ... with all the foreclosures, this city needs people who are enthusiastic and who want to preserve the history of the city. We all love our sports teams, and there is so much going on in the city. I love being back -- you can head to wineries, go to outdoor concerts, ride your bike through the metroparks, check out all the museums on the east side, etc. Anyone who says that Cleveland is dying is dead wrong, at least from an entertainment standpoint. I was in Tremont on Monday, downtown last night, and I'll be hiking the towpath tomorrow.
Thank You. One day I am not moving the next I am. I know though where my heart is. See you on the towpath!

Old 06-15-2008, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medinaman View Post
I lived in FLA for about 12 years- came back, family, friends- I really didn't care for the transient state of Florida- you'd get to know someone and next thing....gone.
All things equal, I prefer the northern climes
Yep, that's it!

Old 06-15-2008, 02:29 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,204,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
Huh? Not sure where you are coming from here? Thought you wrote me a very nice post on the other site. Who is acting superior? Must have misinterpreted something!

Going back to your original question, "has anyone moved back after being gone long" - my response is that those of you who have been gone two or three decades or more and are now coming back home to "roost" (so to speak) - WELCOME BACK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland