Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 07:39 PM
zX4 zX4 started this thread

3 posts, read 12,313 times

Advertisements

My husband & I, along w/ our 2 small kids, are moving to the Cleveland area in a month. He will be working in Independence.

With that, I have found 2 possible homes. I wanted to get opinions on the locations since we cannot see the place before we sign a lease and all that good stuff.

The first house that we're very interested in and the only thing that makes me question if we should rent it, is that it's next to the airport. It's located in Berea and the 2 roads it is by is Barrett Rd and Nobottom Rd. The owner said that by the time the planes are over the house, they're not that loud. I don't doubt her opinion, but I'd like to hear more. I looked on the map and I see there's a lot of foresty area between the house & the airport, so I'm assuming that helps muffle some of the noise?

The other house is located off of Turney Rd in the Maple Heights area. Seems fine, but wanted to know if this was a good location?

I am waiting on pictures for a house that's in Seven Hills. I know that's super close to Independence.

We want some where safe, that has respectable, family neighbors, with the people living there having about the same lifestyle- working class family. Our kids won't be in school for another 4 yrs or so, so we're not concerned about that...although I'd imagine that a good neighborhood would be around a good school.

We would love to live in Independence, but I haven't seen any houses for rent there Is there anywhere else on line that I can look besides cleveland.com or craigslist.org? Just doing a "house rental" search isn't helping.

Input? TIA!

Last edited by zX4; 06-14-2008 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2008, 08:12 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,340,069 times
Even though it is an unknown, the house in seven hills sounds good, or worth getting mroe info on. My opinion is based on Sevin Hills quiet reputation and IMO it is hard to put a price on having a low commute time-much appreciated if you do not like spending all your money on gas and like quality time spent not commuting. in Berea, you would get used to the noise and not even notice it after time. I think it is fine to rent under a flight pattern, but would not own, mostly b/c it would be hard to sell. Maple heights is a longer drive...while it is safe there, I think they have sort of been hit a little harder than many other burbs by forclosures so that is never a good thing. As far was working class family parameter, you cannot go wrong with any of them. Maple heights has more racial diversity. Berea has really good Metro park access. One other site that might have rental searches is pluggedincleveland.com or realtor.com

Old 06-14-2008, 08:31 PM

5 posts, read 16,688 times
If your husband is working in Independence, I would consider Old Brooklyn. You have access to everything, homes are older and charming, and there are plenty of parks, pools, and lots of community things going on. It's a 15-minute drive to downtown Cleveland and a 15-minute drive to Independence. Plus, you are minutes from 480, 77 and 90. Cleveland has been hit by the foreclosure crisis, but landlords are willing to work with you and you can find a nice bungalow or colonial to rent for around $750. Independence is white bread suburbia - really boring with nothing but chain restaurants. You would have to drive far to get the kids involved in things. I like the diversity of Old Brooklyn - Polish, Catholic, Irish, Hispanic, Italian -- and a couple of good schools. I don't know how old your kids are, but Old Brooklyn Community School is a good one.

Old 06-15-2008, 07:54 AM

15 posts, read 75,934 times
Old Brooklyn is cheaper, but still Cleveland. The worse thing about living in Cleveland are the politics. We've had crappy mayors for too long. Spend a bit more and live in 7 hills or independence
just my .02

Old 06-15-2008, 11:42 AM

Thank you guys for your input! It is noted!

I actually found out on the Cuyahoga County site that there is a level 3 sex offender (for raping & kidnapping) that lives only a few houses down from the Berea house. So forget that.

I will check out the 2 sites listed also!

His company is offering a fully furnished & paid for apt for 1 month, so I think we're going to take that up so we can be there in person to view the houses. Otherwise, we might take a weekend to come over and view the houses...

I did find 3 other ads I was going to call about:

One is off of Edgerton in North Royalton?
The other is off of Fitzwater Rd in Brecksville?
Then another in North Royalton but I don't know a street yet.

Do those first 2 sound ok?

Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 PM

15 posts, read 75,934 times
I lived in royalton, not a terrible place, about as far south in cuyahoga county as you can get, LOL.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:01 AM

256 posts, read 736,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zX4 View Post
Thank you guys for your input! It is noted!

I actually found out on the Cuyahoga County site that there is a level 3 sex offender (for raping & kidnapping) that lives only a few houses down from the Berea house. So forget that.

I will check out the 2 sites listed also!

His company is offering a fully furnished & paid for apt for 1 month, so I think we're going to take that up so we can be there in person to view the houses. Otherwise, we might take a weekend to come over and view the houses...

I did find 3 other ads I was going to call about:

The other is off of Fitzwater Rd in Brecksville?
Then another in North Royalton but I don't know a street yet.

Do those first 2 sound ok?
I am also moving back to the area. I grew up in Brecksville and am moving back there. It is a beautiful community.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:59 AM

302 posts, read 1,101,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
I am also moving back to the area. I grew up in Brecksville and am moving back there. It is a beautiful community.
Brecksville.....eh. Its a nice area, however too much politics, nepotism, etc. There are the little circles that run everything(schools especially). If you're not in, then tough luck in trying to get anything actually done. Any problems from little to big are always attempted to be covered up so they don't get bad media press. Personally I think there are better cities around with the people heads not so far up their you know what.

Old 06-16-2008, 10:12 AM

What about Bedford? The street name for the house we might be interested in is Wandle Ave, if that helps.

Old 06-16-2008, 12:45 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zX4 View Post
Edgerton is a busy street. I don't care for that area of NR; looks a little "worn".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland