Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 08:33 AM

5,509 posts, read 9,489,514 times

Advertisements

I can't speak for the original poster, but I'll try anyway. To me it looks like she took offense to xwideopenskyx's accusatiion that she didn't do her homework, not xwideopenskyx's opinion of Cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 08:41 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,432,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
I can't speak for the original poster, but I'll try anyway. To me it looks like she took offense to xwideopenskyx's accusatiion that she didn't do her homework, not xwideopenskyx's opinion of Cleveland.
I agree with you. When I want to know something I always google it first, then I like to ask questions first-hand from those who actually live there.

Last edited by Alaskapat528; 07-26-2008 at 08:41 AM.. Reason: add

Old 07-26-2008, 10:21 AM

24 posts, read 78,697 times
Quote:
Exactly. And truthfully I want a wide range of opinions. (I always visit the urbanohio boards too!)

All I was stating was that it isn't very productive to put me down when I'm asking questions.

I thought I had been having great conversation, but then again I'm new to these boards so maybe my writing was perceived differently.

Either way, I think this particular thread has gotten a little too negative for me.

So I think my questions are answered. Thank you very much to: xwideopenskyx, clevelandgal, ctownnative, twange, and orion1778 and any I might be forgetting. You've all given some excellent input and ideas!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 AM

24 posts, read 78,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna7 View Post
You really have some nerve attacking wideopenskyx for posting an opinion on a public bulletin board and then acting all snippety about it. Where do you think that you landed with your question? We are ALL on a public bulletin board. If you don't like her opinion, or a "stranger's opinion", then go ask your Uncle Herman or Aunt Sally about NE OH or Cleveland, and get off your cloud.
I did not realize I was attacking or being "snippety". Geez, I thought I was stating an opinion, specifically that I did not think it was productive to make an assessment on my fact checking skills.

I'm quite sure I do not have an Uncle Herman or an Aunt Sally or a cloud. Frankly, I did not quite understand this reference.

I think I'll stop posting at this point, as it seems to be quite negative and I was just stating my perspective. I'll try not to judge Clevelanders on all this negativity!

Old 07-26-2008, 10:36 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,224 times
Quote:
Evidently, she did not do her homework. If you read all of her posts on this forum you would know that she is moving from Portland in 13 days from the original post date. Moving to the near west side of the Cleveland proper with children. She did not choose a safe area to move to and she needs to know the truth. I could care less if she took offense to my post. I wouldn't have responded if she didn't have kids.

Yes, Cleveland metro has many nice areas to raise children but she didn't pick one of those, did she? Would you move without checking the place out first in person? Opinions are based on likes and dislikes. I never said I didn't like Cleveland, it is my hometown but safety is not an opinion, it is a fact that Cleveland proper is not safe. There is tons of data online to prove that, besides I've seen it with my own eyes.

How many of you who think that Cleveland is so great live in the burbs and hardly ever set foot inside of the city? Anyone who can afford to move out of city proper, does. That's a fact to, you can look up the declining population stats online also. It's been this way for decades for a reason. Or is this just another opinion?

Cleveland Crime Map - Showing Crime in Cleveland, OH - Crime Statistics - Crim

Old 07-26-2008, 10:52 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saraperez View Post
I did not realize I was attacking or being "snippety". Geez, I thought I was stating an opinion, specifically that I did not think it was productive to make an assessment on my fact checking skills.

I'm quite sure I do not have an Uncle Herman or an Aunt Sally or a cloud. Frankly, I did not quite understand this reference.

I think I'll stop posting at this point, as it seems to be quite negative and I was just stating my perspective. I'll try not to judge Clevelanders on all this negativity!
I'll try not to judge Portlander's for all your naivety.

Every city has it's good points and bad points. If you want to only know the good things and stick your head in the sand about the bad things it's your choice. Come out for a visit and see for yourself.

Yep, Cleveland proper is a paradise and we don't want anyone else to know...........LOL

Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 AM

Default The near west side???

Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Evidently, she did not do her homework. If you read all of her posts on this forum you would know that she is moving from Portland in 13 days from the original post date. Moving to the near west side of the Cleveland proper with children. She did not choose a safe area to move to and she needs to know the truth. I could care less if she took offense to my post. I wouldn't have responded if she didn't have kids.

Yes, Cleveland metro has many nice areas to raise children but she didn't pick one of those, did she? Would you move without checking the place out first in person? Opinions are based on likes and dislikes. I never said I didn't like Cleveland, it is my hometown but safety is not an opinion, it is a fact that Cleveland proper is not safe. There is tons of data online to prove that, besides I've seen it with my own eyes.

How many of you who think that Cleveland is so great live in the burbs and hardly ever set foot inside of the city? Anyone who can afford to move out of city proper, does. That's a fact to, you can look up the declining population stats online also. It's been this way for decades for a reason. Or is this just another opinion?

Cleveland Crime Map - Showing Crime in Cleveland, OH - Crime Statistics - Crim
I didn't see where she was moving to the near west side...but wow, if she is, she had better think it out twice, no maybe like 100 times! I was back home last month in Cleveland, and my husband and I drove through the near west side where I grew up. Sorry, don't want to offend anyone, but it is a pure ghetto from what I saw. It made me sick seeing all of the deterioration; punks hanging on the street corners; run-down and boarded up houses. NO it is not safe. I have family who live in Cleveland and they don't even bother going through that part of town. Crime there has increased dramatically! What on earth is one thinking moving there with children and not checking it out thoroughly??

Old 07-26-2008, 11:32 AM

Default Question...

Quote:
Originally Posted by saraperez View Post

Where on the near west side do you plan on moving to? It is definitely "not" safe to live there anymore.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:47 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,897,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Where on the near west side do you plan on moving to? It is definitely "not" safe to live there anymore.
Ok, before we start making broad generalizations, let's define "near West Side". If we're talking about Ohio City, Tremont, or anything east of W117 to downtown, well then that's probably not too good for raising kids. If you're including Lakewood, Westpark, Rocky River, then this is an incorrect statement. Those areas are MOSTLY excellent. Older inner-ring suburbs to be sure, but great places to live.

Last edited by twange; 07-26-2008 at 12:57 PM..

Old 07-26-2008, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twange View Post
Ok, before we start making broad generalizations, let's define "near West Side". If we're talking about Ohio City, Tremont, or anything east of W117 to downtown, well then that's probably not too good for raising kids. If you're including Lakewood, Westpark, Rocky River, then this is an incorrect statement. Those areas are MOSTLY excellent. Older inner-ring suburbs to be sure, but great places to live.
Actually Ohio City, Tremont, and east of W. 117 to downtown is not classified as the "near west side" as well as Lakewood, Westpark, Rocky River which are considered suburbs of Cleveland. The near west side basically involves main streets of Denison, Storer, Clark, Lorain Ave and the side streets off of here as well as Fulton and down around Pearl Road (W. 25 St.).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland