Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:47 AM

14 posts, read 43,482 times

Advertisements

i really wanna know about jobs, school, cost of living, public transportation. Im planning moving in with my girlfriend and wanna hear some advizes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 10:48 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,214,577 times
Well, since nobody has chimed in I can give you a partial answer.

Lorain is generally a financially depressed area, the prices for real estate and rent are very low, but I believe that you would find it difficult to find a good paying job.

However, the lakefront area is pretty nice, and they have a very nice park backing right up to the lake.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,922,658 times
I grew up in Lorain and am moving back shortly, so I know a lot about the city. In general, Lorain has been doing really bad lately.

As far as jobs and the economy Lorain is doing really bad right now. We used to have the plant and the mills but those have either downsized a lot or shut down completely. Lorain is mostly blue collar and a huge amount of people worked at the mills and factories so the city was hit very hard by that. Lorain schools are known for being some of the worst in the state. They recently built some new schools but they look bad and nothing else has changed. There used to be 3 high schools and a catholic high school less than 8 years ago, now there is only 2 high schools left and they are even talking about merging them. Crime is very high in the city and I cant think of any other city in Ohio where gangs are more prevalent. The city looks like crap right now and theres abandoned and run down houses wherever you look and garbage everywhere.

I have a lot of information and things to say about Lorain if you need to know more. Sorry if I painted such a bad picture but I figured Id tell you the truth and spare you having to come here and possibly being disappointed. There is positives to the city but at this point the negatives definitely outweigh the positives. There still are nice areas of the city, anywhere on the lakeshore, just west of downtown, most of the eastside, and anywhere south of meister or west of leavitt road on the southwest side. Theres some decent areas on the SE area of South Lorain too. For public transportation there is the LCT (Lorain County Tranit) buses that are pretty decent and are convenient for most areas of the city. It connects to other cities in Lorain County and then connects to the RTA I think for Cuyahoga County.

Old 07-27-2008, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
I grew up in Lorain and am moving back shortly, so I know a lot about the city. In general, Lorain has been doing really bad lately.

As far as jobs and the economy Lorain is doing really bad right now. We used to have the plant and the mills but those have either downsized a lot or shut down completely. Lorain is mostly blue collar and a huge amount of people worked at the mills and factories so the city was hit very hard by that. Lorain schools are known for being some of the worst in the state. They recently built some new schools but they look bad and nothing else has changed. There used to be 3 high schools and a catholic high school less than 8 years ago, now there is only 2 high schools left and they are even talking about merging them. Crime is very high in the city and I cant think of any other city in Ohio where gangs are more prevalent. The city looks like crap right now and theres abandoned and run down houses wherever you look and garbage everywhere.

I have a lot of information and things to say about Lorain if you need to know more. Sorry if I painted such a bad picture but I figured Id tell you the truth and spare you having to come here and possibly being disappointed. There is positives to the city but at this point the negatives definitely outweigh the positives. There still are nice areas of the city, anywhere on the lakeshore, just west of downtown, most of the eastside, and anywhere south of meister or west of leavitt road on the southwest side. Theres some decent areas on the SE area of South Lorain too. For public transportation there is the LCT (Lorain County Tranit) buses that are pretty decent and are convenient for most areas of the city. It connects to other cities in Lorain County and then connects to the RTA I think for Cuyahoga County.

Thnx any info is welcome good or bad. i rather have all the info b4 i made my desicion, but im 75% decide to move overthere. If you have more info...let me know...

Old 07-27-2008, 08:06 AM

Quote:

how about community colleges or something, im trying to get a degree also...

Old 07-27-2008, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterj279 View Post
how about community colleges or something, im trying to get a degree also...
The community college is just south of Lorain on the northeast side of Elyria off of Abbe Road. Its called LCCC and its a pretty decent community college. Its no more than 15 minutes from any place in Lorain. Its very affordable too and the credits transfer to most other colleges. I know a couple people who have gone there and are very happy with it.

Other than the negatives I said and a few more, Lorain could be a really great place. Lakeview Park is great and the houses on the Lakeshore are really nice. There is a sense of community in Lorain and South Lorain is the largest puerto rican community in Ohio besides the near westside of Cleveland. Lorain also has a lot of racial diversity. There is a lot of history in Lorain and a lot of historical older buildings and houses. Lorain is a very unique city and you wont be able to find any other place close to it in the midwest. I personally love the city and thats the main reason why I am moving back (other than the fact that Im forced to lol), but yeah I still love it.

Old 07-28-2008, 09:12 AM

Quote:
The community college is just south of Lorain on the northeast side of Elyria off of Abbe Road. Its called LCCC and its a pretty decent community college. Its no more than 15 minutes from any place in Lorain. Its very affordable too and the credits transfer to most other colleges. I know a couple people who have gone there and are very happy with it.

Other than the negatives I said and a few more, Lorain could be a really great place. Lakeview Park is great and the houses on the Lakeshore are really nice. There is a sense of community in Lorain and South Lorain is the largest puerto rican community in Ohio besides the near westside of Cleveland. Lorain also has a lot of racial diversity. There is a lot of history in Lorain and a lot of historical older buildings and houses. Lorain is a very unique city and you wont be able to find any other place close to it in the midwest. I personally love the city and thats the main reason why I am moving back (other than the fact that Im forced to lol), but yeah I still love it.

thats kool thnx for the info. and yea i have relatives in Cleveland, its like any other city. The only thing im think a lot is the cold....but i get used to...thnx...

Old 07-28-2008, 11:49 PM

Where are you moving from? If you dont mind me asking.

Old 07-30-2008, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Where are you moving from? If you dont mind me asking.
Orlando Fl...dud i hate Fl.....

Old 08-09-2008, 08:09 PM

2 posts, read 8,196 times
hey i wanna move to Lorain and i have a 14 year old daughter and she is worried about the high school do u have any info
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: