U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 08:28 AM

5 posts, read 17,415 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are are early-mid 30's and moving from Charlotte NC to Cleveland. We currently live less than three miles from downtown in an eclectic older neighborhood with a great mix of senior-level professionals and artists. (While many Charlotteans may call our hood "urban," I think our definition may be different than that of a Clevelander! But regardless, keep us out of the outer ring suburbs...) We are looking for an older house with character, restaurants and bars within walking distance (or stumbling as the case may be), dog-friendly and one day kid-friendly! We are strongly considering Lakewood but want to know what the demographics are like...(we want fun young people to stumble home with when necessary!)...and are also looking at Rocky River...just might be a bit too suburby...I love Chagrin Falls, but might be something further down the road with kids...and the commute to downtown for work may suck in the winter...the East side seems a bit too far away for us...we didn't really like Shaker Heights for this stage in our lives...looked around Tremont and Ohio City but agree that nice single family houses can be next door to abandoned houses...so give us the scoop! And please don't send 50 postings about the weather change we are about to experience...my hubby is from Buffalo and I'm from Madison WI...we got it...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:27 AM

9 posts, read 24,294 times
I would recommend the east side of Rocky River or far-west side of Lakewood. Those are decent areas that are family friendly, but still provide easy access to eateries, drinkeries, etc. Rocky River's schools are very good and compared to Charlotte, Lakewood's schools are pretty good too. Either location will provide an easy commute downtown via the Shoreway.

Depending on how long you plan on staying there I would be cautious about buying a home vs. renting. If you plan on staying a while (over five years) you will be able to get a house exactly as you describe in those locations. Houses are dirt cheap (especially right now), but the property taxes are very high. If you just want to give Cleveland a test drive, rent!

Over the past five years I've been in Cleveland > Charleston > Cleveland > Raleigh > Charleston. I am happy to be in Charleston right now, but miss some things about Cleveland (sports, autumn, ...).

Good luck on your move!

Old 07-30-2008, 07:12 PM

That's great advice...we did consider renting but have three geriatric dogs that make it a bit tricky!! We have spent a lot of time on these blogs trying to read up on the Lakewood area, and I think we'd be pretty happy there...we know we live in a great city now with a huge population of folks our age, and I think Lakewood is going to be our best bet! I love people who post about good bars in close proximity to home...

Wow, Charleston and Raleigh??? I've been in Charlotte for eons, and my hubby had some time in Atlanta too...I guess at some point we all try going home again...

Thanks for the posting! I am trying to get on here daily before our next house-hunting trip to find good folks with good ideas, so I appreciate your time! Enjoy Charleston!

Old 07-31-2008, 10:38 AM

14,646 posts, read 10,399,291 times
Lakewood MIGHT be for you. You have a balancing act to follow. Further west means more suburban. East urban. More crime east. More "human" turds east. Renting is common and more common east tho mixed throughout.

The gay areas will be more resistant to blight (one stereotype seems true. Gay dudes' houses are immaculate outside and insanely well kept. There was one in my neighborhood in Westpark and it was crazy perfect) but there are a few buildings where you will have 20 oily men wearing thong pouches sitting around a pool. Certainly a small minority of buildings but I knew a girl who lived next to such a place. Forewarned is forearmed. Lakewood gay is mostly lower key than SF or NYC. Live and let live. I have several gay friends still living there.

For your dogs, yards are going to tend to be small.

City services will certainly be better than anywhere in the City of Cleveland, even in its Westpark section. A shame really Westpark has some incredible housing (for incredible looking neighborhood look on Norway and Normandy Ave, also Greenwood and Ernadale. too bad they are city of Cleveland)... and incredibly bad schools, police, city hall... etc etc etc.

OH and watch out for the weather!!!! [ducks]

edit big thought! You mentioned biking. extreme Western Lakewood borders the Metroparks. These arent just parks they are parks 20 miles long!

Last edited by ottomobeale; 07-31-2008 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: idea

Old 07-31-2008, 11:04 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,208,019 times
Lakewoods gay population has been blown out of proportion. It's actually the area in Cleveland beyond W.117th (which leads into a dangerous area anyways). But oily men in thongs? Haha that is more than likely the last thing you will see.

Old 07-31-2008, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,289 times
Smile Moving to Cleveland from NC

I think you are going to be in shock moving here from NC no matter how you slice. It is a nice place, but very different from what you are used to. I am an eastsider living in Lyndhurst which is extremely suburby as you say. Lake wood is a great city for the lifestyle you are referring to and the style of home you want. I am no expert on that particular city, but I think you will have to be somewhat careful about the neighborhood you choose in Lakewood as it still has its seedier side and many neighborhoods are predominantly rental. It is pretty trendy and has great bars, McCarthys, Around the Corner, Brothers Lounge....many more. Lots of fun.

Ultimately it depends what you are looking for. The way the general housing market is in this city if you are planning on buying something then you should also know that you are going to want to buy for the long haul because there is limited oportunity to gain value in a couple of years right now.

There are a few nice areas on the eastside, like the Coventry neighborhood in Cleveland Heights, but over all it is really suburban. Not bad. Many good restaurants and bars, but you will have to drive to them most of the time.

Finally, if you really want to go out on a limb look for something downtown near the warehouse district. A loft or something. Prices are right night life is there, but not a lot of people live downtown.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:48 AM

14,646 posts, read 10,399,291 times
/shrug. The girl I knew wasnt all that pleased about living next to pouchville. As I said its a small minority but I would want to make sure I dont have that view all summer. (sorry not gay, dont wanna see mens butts all summer)

All 3 of my gay friends are Lakewood, none Cleveland. Come to think of it 2 are on the eastern end off of Clifton sorta near the Cle border. 1 western end nowhere near it.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:37 AM

181 posts, read 796,143 times
I'd pick one of the loft buildings downtown for the more urban and exciting atmosphere and stumbling proximity to bars. Plus the walking commute to work would be money. Of course, there aren't houses, and you'd have a pretty difficult time with 3 huge dogs.

It sounds like you've already explored most neighborhoods. Unfortunately, given your mix of requirements, I don't think Cleveland offers anything that meets them all especially well. You'll probably have to compromise on something in order to make a final decision.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:20 AM

Yeah Charlotte was quite a shock when we moved there years ago! We are looking forward to moving back closer to home and getting back to the Midwest. It'll be an adjustment and hopefully that snowblower I still own works!!
I'm sure we'll have to compromise somewhere as far as what we are looking for in a neighborhood. Everyone's suggestions have been a huge help and we'll have to spend some more time in the different areas. Anyone know of any good bars/restaurants to get a good feel of the Lakewood area?

Old 08-04-2008, 04:56 AM

9 posts, read 24,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clt-cle View Post
Anyone know of any good bars/restaurants to get a good feel of the Lakewood area?
Start @ Around the Corner, then to the West End, then wrap up your night at the Riverwood. If you are still thirsty, you can keep walking east down Detroit Rd. and hit all the other watering holes along the way. Another good trio of bars is The Drink, McArthy's, & the place across the street from there... I can't remember the name, but it's across the street from the YMCA at the end of Cordova on Detroit Rd. Have fun... drink one for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland