Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 05:57 PM

9 posts, read 37,181 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am moving temporarily to Cleveland from NJ. I have never been to Ohio and am having a difficult time finding a place that would be for me. Could you please offer suggestions and a little information about different areas?

Here is a little information:

I am in my mid-20s and coming to Ohio to work with college students throughout North Ohio. I do not have a car so proximity to train and bus is a must. I am looking for a furnished apartment in a safe area and also an area with others my age.

After looking at metro information for the cities in North Ohio I chose Cleveland. I am now just looking for a temporary furnished apartment in a great area that will give me things to do while I am not working. I also read some parts of Cleveland, like any other city, has its bad areas so I want to do all I can to avoid any trouble!

I really appreciate all your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2008, 06:16 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
3 month leases are a tricky thing.

Try the Alcazar in Cleveland Hts...close to the redline rapid train and bus routes. The Alcazar

I also believe the WT Grant Apartments downtown by E.4th street have short term leases.

You're best bet may be to sub-lease off someone. The most common areas to do this would be Little Italy, Lakewood, Coventry, and Ohio city to name a few. There are a few search engines for this..such as http://www.sublet.com/spider/LEAreaC...rnished=&pets=

Good Luck!

Last edited by costello_musicman; 08-17-2008 at 06:27 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 07:07 PM

thank you. what are the best neighborhoods in the city to live?

Old 08-17-2008, 09:47 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,279,817 times
You probably won't have much of an option with only the three month lease thing, but the best neighborhoods/areas for someone young would be pretty much what I listed above:

Downtown
Coventry
Little Italy
Lakewood
Ohio City (parts near the Great Lakes Brewery and Westside Market)

Here's a link to maps for Public Transportation routes so you can see if your place would be close enough. There are three rail lines and the rest are bus:

Timetables, Maps & Schedules | Greater Cleveland Regional Transit Authority

Old 08-18-2008, 06:55 AM

181 posts, read 837,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billm201 View Post
thank you. what are the best neighborhoods in the city to live?
Living downtown is ideal for someone without a car.

That said... where do you need to go? and how much are you willing to spend?

Finding something that is furnished really limits your options. I had a 5 month stay in another city and literally could not find a furnished apartment that was both conveniently located and affordable. I ended up with a 6-month lease in a managed building; and lived without any real furniture or entertainment for those months. It wasn't ideal, but living the simple life sure gave me a new perspective on life.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:45 AM

I will need to travel to the colleges in Cleveland, Kent, Akron, Toledo and Bowling Green.

Looking to spend around $1,000 a month for furnished but that isn't set in stone. I have never been to Cleveland and without a car I want to make the transition as painless as possible.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Looking to spend around $1,000 a month for furnished but that isn't set in stone. I have never been to Cleveland and without a car I want to make the transition as painless as possible.
Stay downtown if at all possible.

The other neighborhoods recommended are all transit accessible; however, many of them will require a transfer (probably downtown) and that can get very old very quickly. You can get from downtown Cleveland to most of the schools in Cleveland on one bus; to Akron and Toledo on one bus (although once you get to Akron/Toledo you might need to transfer). Kent and Bowling Green will be trickier. I'm not sure if there is still a bus that runs to Kent - I'm pretty confident there is not one that runs to Bowling Green.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion1778 View Post
Stay downtown if at all possible.

The other neighborhoods recommended are all transit accessible; however, many of them will require a transfer (probably downtown) and that can get very old very quickly. You can get from downtown Cleveland to most of the schools in Cleveland on one bus; to Akron and Toledo on one bus (although once you get to Akron/Toledo you might need to transfer). Kent and Bowling Green will be trickier. I'm not sure if there is still a bus that runs to Kent - I'm pretty confident there is not one that runs to Bowling Green.
I'm sure buses run through all the schools as many students take them. Just check on greyhound.. which would confirm this.

Old 08-18-2008, 01:33 PM

The downtown area for a furnished apartment seems to be alittle out of my price range ($2070 was the cheapest I've found).

I will only be out visiting colleges 1-2 times a week so a transfer is not TOO bad. I still want to be close to everything though. Is there a second best option? I have been looking on Craigslist and other sites through Google.

Old 08-18-2008, 02:36 PM

Quote:
The downtown area for a furnished apartment seems to be alittle out of my price range ($2070 was the cheapest I've found).
Does it absolutely have to be furnished? Reserve Square is pretty good about short-term leases and they fall in your price range. You could pick up some cheap furniture on Craigslist and either sell it or donate it when it's time to go.

If $2070 is the absolute cheapest you've found, my hunch is that I doubt you'll be able to get anything fully furnished anywhere in the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: