Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2008, 04:43 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,355,399 times

Advertisements

lorain wasnt the pride of ohio 35 years ago but it had one good reason to live their..... JOBS!
the steel mill ,auto,lorain crane and rr jobs have all left the city. to have a good city you must have good jobs and it seems that NAFTA and china have taken its toll on all of northern ohio
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 11:31 AM

60 posts, read 152,234 times
Cle440, you seem to be an intelligent and insightful guy. While you are still young, please move out of Ohio and start your career somewhere else. You'll be much happier in the end.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,889,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritam2001 View Post
Cle440, you seem to be an intelligent and insightful guy. While you are still young, please move out of Ohio and start your career somewhere else. You'll be much happier in the end.
Ive been to a lot of other places, and thought about moving permanently, but I dont know. I feel like if I left here for good I would be doing a bad thing and giving up on the area. Plus I still love it here and Im still from here, its not like its not livable over here.

Tell me about what you did and how you are doing then.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 AM

4 posts, read 13,153 times
sounds like cleveland. demolishing old historic schools and historic buildings/housing for crap. majority of the dense urban neighborhoods cleveland once had have been destroyed. the near east side is full of low rise 50s/60s urban renewal crap as well as suburban mcmansions/townhomes being plopped up. cleveland continues to suburbanize itself and it really frustrates me. you should see old pictures of euclid avenue. half the time nothing is even built or a parking lot is put in place, and when they do build infill its always horrible and less urban. how does the city expect to attract residents if an area is a wasteland?

this is euclid and 55th

now go check out the streetview of whats there today

Cle440 dont listen to all these doom and gloomers on here tellin you to leave ohio, these people run away from every problem. we need bright people who truly want to make a difference in this area. most people always think the pastures are greener elsewhere until they get there and realize ohio aint so bad after all. check out urbanohio.com

im tired of the attitude around here

Old 10-01-2008, 05:16 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,441,441 times
cle440, i don't want to start a battle either, but lorain didn't seem like much when i rode through there. rust belt ohio, but nothing that hamilton doesn't have besides steel mills. i've seen crumbling factories resembling the ruins of the old south bronx sit for years, get cleaned up, and another one gets torn down in a ''phase'' program. wrecked trains on active tracks, all of those hispanic gangs you named, as hamilton has a large and exploding hispanic population, and higher crime.

wesohood, why is lorain so much worse in your opinion? hamilton has a long history, going back to the ''little chicago'' days.

Old 10-01-2008, 10:46 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,611,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
cle440, i don't want to start a battle either, but lorain didn't seem like much when i rode through there. rust belt ohio, but nothing that hamilton doesn't have besides steel mills. i've seen crumbling factories resembling the ruins of the old south bronx sit for years, get cleaned up, and another one gets torn down in a ''phase'' program. wrecked trains on active tracks, all of those hispanic gangs you named, as hamilton has a large and exploding hispanic population, and higher crime.

wesohood, why is lorain so much worse in your opinion? hamilton has a long history, going back to the ''little chicago'' days.
You probably really didn't drive through Lorain. From the highway or other roads it may seem like nothing. But in reality, it looks very much like the ghettos of Cleveland, some areas worse. Hamilton doesn't have nearly the same hispanic population... and I doubt that the crime is worse. Even the statistics probably don't prove much. When it comes to violent crime, I don't think there is even a comparison... well in terms of homicides. I don't think Lorain has a competent police force that even collects the crime data correctly either. Which is what a lot of police forces do (ie East Cleveland)

But you are right, I dislike Hamilton as well. Both cities need to step it up.

BTW - Overall, isn't Elyria's crime larger than Lorain? I'm almost positive Elryia is worse than Lorain and about the same as Hamilton(besides homicides). That is what makes Lorain worse - it's counterpart in crime Elyria.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:16 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,441,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
You probably really didn't drive through Lorain. From the highway or other roads it may seem like nothing. But in reality, it looks very much like the ghettos of Cleveland, some areas worse. Hamilton doesn't have nearly the same hispanic population... and I doubt that the crime is worse. Even the statistics probably don't prove much. When it comes to violent crime, I don't think there is even a comparison... well in terms of homicides. I don't think Lorain has a competent police force that even collects the crime data correctly either. Which is what a lot of police forces do (ie East Cleveland)

But you are right, I dislike Hamilton as well. Both cities need to step it up.

BTW - Overall, isn't Elyria's crime larger than Lorain? I'm almost positive Elryia is worse than Lorain and about the same as Hamilton(besides homicides). That is what makes Lorain worse - it's counterpart in crime Elyria.
lorain crime the last 8 yrs

//www.city-data.com/city/Lorain-Ohio.html

hamilton crime the last 8 yrs

http:////www.city-data.com/city/Hamilton-Ohio.html

as far as stats and police, don't underestimate the incompetence of hamilton, lol. hamilton has historically had more murder and more crime, i'm tellin you. true, hamilton doesn't have the hispanic population, but i don't think hispanic=crime. the butler county sheriff actually has federal grand jury power to combat illegal aliens and criminals because of the hispanic issues in hamilton. i don't agree with his racist tactics, but there are issues that need addressing concerning hamilton and hispanics.

Old 10-01-2008, 11:31 AM

1,410 posts, read 3,960,203 times
Yea, if you think Lorain is that bad and you are moving back there anyway, what does that say about you? Interesting thoughts. I know they are getting a Frontier League baseball team soon.

G Man

Old 10-01-2008, 05:19 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,630,554 times
Im from an area with about the same crime rate as Lorains,Euclid Ohio.Euclid had a 312.5 crime rate in 2006 and Lorain had a 315.4.The area I grew up in has alot of robberies now and things like that.Alot of places have closed down around the E. 185th area.And when Im back in Ohio I always here the stories about how bad it is.But I can understand why you want to move back to Lorain.Its where you grew up.I would definetly move back to Euclid,its my hometown and I love it back in Ohio.I know theres some crime back where I use to live,but If you grew up someplace your always going to have some kind of conection to the area.

Old 10-01-2008, 09:03 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,894,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownsFinest216 View Post
sounds like cleveland. demolishing old historic schools and historic buildings/housing for crap. majority of the dense urban neighborhoods cleveland once had have been destroyed. the near east side is full of low rise 50s/60s urban renewal crap as well as suburban mcmansions/townhomes being plopped up. cleveland continues to suburbanize itself and it really frustrates me. you should see old pictures of euclid avenue. half the time nothing is even built or a parking lot is put in place, and when they do build infill its always horrible and less urban. how does the city expect to attract residents if an area is a wasteland?

this is euclid and 55th

now go check out the streetview of whats there today

Cle440 dont listen to all these doom and gloomers on here tellin you to leave ohio, these people run away from every problem. we need bright people who truly want to make a difference in this area. most people always think the pastures are greener elsewhere until they get there and realize ohio aint so bad after all. check out urbanohio.com

im tired of the attitude around here

sorry for asking this, but how do i do the streetview thing... sometimes i just think i am computer brainless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland