Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:08 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times

Advertisements

Im moving back into Lorain, and Ive been checking on things more, and this city is a complete joke. I didnt know this a while back, but after having been through a lot of places throughout the US including suburbs, and more average places, I can say confidently that Lorain is a pitiful excuse for a city. When I was growing up in Lorain, all the older people who grew up here said how bad it had gotten, but I would never listen or believe them, but now being older (27) I can really agree with them. This is going to be Long, but its a good read for anybody who knows about the area.

First of all I want to talk about the sad excuse for a school district. Lorain is one of the few places where they can give the schools money, and they get worse. The schools are a mess right now. In the past few years they have knocked down perfectly good schools and built ones that arent even any better, and look worse. As recent as 1995 there were 3 high schools and 1 catholic high school, now theres only the 2 worst high schools and theyre even talking about merging those into 1. Its also confusing, theres really no history or community schools left in Lorain, theyre changing the names all the time now, I cant even recognize any of them. They have all these confusing alternate or special schools. Theyve recently split Admiral King and Southview into a couple smaller schools within themselves, which I dont understand. I think theyre trying to shake the stats somehow, because its so bad and the really high dropout rate. Everybody that can afford it is sending their kids to private schools, and theres this area of Lorain near Amherst where everybody wants to move to because they have the chance to pay less for a house but get to send their kids to Amherst schools. All of the name changes, and newer schools, and things are all sad to me because we grew up knowing all the schools and reputations and history, now all of that is gone.

Next I want to talk about the city itself. Its really in ruins right now. According to the census, Lorain is finally growing in population again, but I cant see that, if anything its losing more than ever. There are more abandoned houses and buildings than Ive ever seen. Also, the few infill houses are ugly, and dont blend in the least. Theres very few decent neighborhoods left in the city. Everywhere you go they are knocking things down, and either leaving it, or building something worse in its place, which is completely backwards. Also, the crime in the city is real bad. Dont pay attention to what you see on the internet, because the stats are way off and the LPD doesnt report them right (if at all). For the city-data page, Lorain could easily be over 700 (over twice the US average). The gangs are big in the city as they have been for the past 20+ years. Drug crimes are especially high and there is a shooting or stabbing every day. The government in the city is also a joke. The city is one of the most corrupt I have ever seen, there are regularly cops/officials getting busted for rape or stealing money/drugs. The people who run the city have no idea what they are doing. Its basically the westside version of East Cleveland.

I love Lorain since this is where I grew up, but to be completely honest this place is a joke right now. Lorain is such a historical city but from the schools, to the buildings, all of the history is being thrown away and forgotten. I dont mean to bash the city, but this is all the truth. Its so sad for me to see all of this happen, Lorain could be so much better than it is right now.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 09-27-2008 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 AM

826 posts, read 1,625,038 times
I have a question, but if Lorain is so bad why are you moving there. I read this post up and down, down and up and found no reason why.

Old 09-27-2008, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slash83 View Post
I have a question, but if Lorain is so bad why are you moving there. I read this post up and down, down and up and found no reason why.
I grew up in central Lorain, and am now moving back. Im currently unemployed, and was mostly staying at a house in N Ridgeville with a family member, but long story short, things happen...N Ridgeville was just supposed to be temporary anyways, but I wasnt there the whole time. I love Lorain and the people and still love the city itself though, theres still so many memories I have here. Once I move, Im not sure how often Ill be on here.

I didnt mean to bash the city so bad, but its just ridiculous. Im really annoyed at some of the stuff the city has decided to do, mostly about the schools, and Im definitely not the only one. Just like, everything I knew growing up is gone or changing, and I grew up in the 80s-90s...not even that long ago. St. Joseph-closed, Lorain High-closed, Lorain Catholic-closed, Hawthorne(and other elementary schools)-gone, Lorain Middle-closed, Ford Plant-closed, Steel mills-might as well be closed. I shouldnt have taken it out on the whole city, but the other stuff is getting to me. This is an example of what Im talking about: http://www.chroniclet.com/2008/06/05/admiral-king-southview-merger-plan-draws-outcry_122/ (broken link) I just wish the city would make better choices, it has potential to be such a great place and community, but I suppose its not entirely the cities fault.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 09-27-2008 at 07:37 AM..

Old 09-27-2008, 07:33 AM

1,071 posts, read 4,451,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Im moving back into Lorain, and Ive been checking on things more, and this city is a complete joke. I didnt know this a while back, but after having been through a lot of places throughout the US including suburbs, and more average places, I can say confidently that Lorain is a pitiful excuse for a city. When I was growing up in Lorain, all the older people who grew up here said how bad it had gotten, but I would never listen or believe them, but now being older (27) I can really agree with them. This is going to be Long, but its a good read for anybody who knows about the area.

First of all I want to talk about the sad excuse for a school district. Lorain is one of the few places where they can give the schools money, and they get worse. The schools are a mess right now. In the past few years they have knocked down perfectly good schools and built ones that arent even any better, and look worse. As recent as 1995 there were 3 high schools and 1 catholic high school, now theres only the 2 worst high schools and theyre even talking about merging those into 1. Its also confusing, theres really no history or community schools left in Lorain, theyre changing the names all the time now, I cant even recognize any of them. They have all these confusing alternate or special schools. Theyve recently split Admiral King and Southview into a couple smaller schools within themselves, which I dont understand. I think theyre trying to shake the stats somehow, because its so bad and the really high dropout rate. Everybody that can afford it is sending their kids to private schools, and theres this area of Lorain near Amherst where everybody wants to move to because they have the chance to pay less for a house but get to send their kids to Amherst schools. All of the name changes, and newer schools, and things are all sad to me because we grew up knowing all the schools and reputations and history, now all of that is gone.

Next I want to talk about the city itself. Its really in ruins right now. According to the census, Lorain is finally growing in population again, but I cant see that, if anything its losing more than ever. There are more abandoned houses and buildings than Ive ever seen. Also, the few infill houses are ugly, and dont blend in the least. Theres very few decent neighborhoods left in the city. Everywhere you go they are knocking things down, and either leaving it, or building something worse in its place, which is completely backwards. Also, the crime in the city is real bad. Dont pay attention to what you see on the internet, because the stats are way off and the LPD doesnt report them right (if at all). For the city-data page, Lorain could easily be over 700 (over twice the US average). The gangs are big in the city as they have been for the past 20+ years. Drug crimes are especially high and there is a shooting or stabbing every day. The government in the city is also a joke. The city is one of the most corrupt I have ever seen, there are regularly cops/officials getting busted for rape or stealing money/drugs. The people who run the city have no idea what they are doing. Its basically the westside version of East Cleveland.

I love Lorain since this is where I grew up, but to be completely honest this place is a joke right now. Lorain is such a historical city but from the schools, to the buildings, all of the history is being thrown away and forgotten. I dont mean to bash the city, but this is all the truth. Its so sad for me to see all of this happen, Lorain could be so much better than it is right now.
check out hamilton if you think lorain is bad. the jobs have long gone, the city has long consolidated to one giant high school, and the city is one of the trashiest i've ever seen.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:15 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
I grew up in Akron and I completely understand your annoyances. I live in North Hill, the old Italian side, but it's started to turn in the last few years again for the worst. My neighborhood still has very little bad activity, but you can see the demographics changing quickly, and 4-5 blocks away to the south is looking really bad now. You can see it creeping up on us, literally. On our closest main street, E. Cuyahoga Falls Avenue in the past 2 months, the Circle K was held up and robbed, a young man was shot by police, a shooting in front of Dontinos, a stabbing about 6 blocks away, someone busted for assault, and someone busted for attempting to cyphen gasoline.

Needless to say, I can see where this economy is taking this neighborhood. I have no desire to see what happens when things get really bad and am getting out, not just from Akron but likely the state. We had an interview yesterday in San Francisco and hope to relocate to Vacaville, CA.

My question is: Why don't you do the same? The writing has been on the wall in NEO for more than a decade. Search for jobs in your skill areas in all other areas that have some sense of vibrant economic life or opportunity.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:04 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
what do you do for a living?

Old 09-27-2008, 12:36 PM

509 posts, read 780,656 times
Move to Columbus. It's going well here. Good economy, good nightlife, good schools.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:12 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
The Columbus Dispatch : City's income growth rate is Ohio's best

Good in Ohio but nowhere else...

Old 09-27-2008, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
check out hamilton if you think lorain is bad. the jobs have long gone, the city has long consolidated to one giant high school, and the city is one of the trashiest i've ever seen.
Ive been to Hamilton before, know some things about it but not a lot, I know its not that nice. I dont mean to start a "which city is more ghetto" argument, but from what I have seen, Lorain is undoubtedly worse than Hamilton, and every other mid-sized city in Ohio (excluding Youngstown). If you have been up here you would know what Im talking about. Take a drive down E28th, then Elyria Ave., then Reid and its side streets and down W21st/MLK, that would show you all the proof you need, and its not contained to those areas, most of the city is like that now. Just the steel mill alone has cut 10,000 jobs from the city, along with other closings, this had led to Lorains 27% poverty rate.

Lorain deals with a problem that the other cities dont, there is a very large number of impoverished hispanics in the area. The huge puerto rican/hispanic community is part of what makes Lorain such a great place with culture, but it also brings all the hispanic gangs (LK, MS-13, MLD, etc.) that the other cities dont have. Also, Lorain is probably the most "ganged up" city in Ohio. Nearly ever kid I knew growing up was in a gang, thats been part of Lorains reputation for a long time. Lorain Middle and Admiral King were regarded as some of the worst and most violent middle/high schools in Ohio. All that stuff is not what I have a problem with though, because its been like that for a long time. My problem is the unbelievably poor choices that the city has made, they seem to not care anything about the people in the city along with the history of the area. Elyria is close to the same size, and not perfect by any means, but is miles ahead of Lorain at this point and makes much better choices.

Last edited by BelieveInCleve; 09-27-2008 at 10:40 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 02:57 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
I've been to Hamilton, it's no where near Lorain's level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland