Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioUberAlles View Post
My dad used to work in the city of East Cleveland, and he, along with a number of his co-workers, carried guns on a daily basis.

At any rate, it's up to the OP whether or not getting a CCW permit is right for him or not. He'll make up his mind based on his perceptions and his values. The important thing is that in Ohio he has the CHOICE to get a permit if he wants one, a choice he didn't have in New Jersey.
Yes, it would make sense in East Cleveland. But it being a necessity in all of Cuyahoga County? Not true.

Sounds like you're doing just as much trying to sell the OP on conceal carry as you are giving him/her advice on the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
You don't have to live in a bad area to have a problem with crime. Criminals can get into their car and take a 10-20 minute drive down the road, to commit a crime in an area where A- there is less of a chance that they are known or will be recognized B- there are complacent people who believe "it can't happen here" and C- there are fresh targets to rob and new things to steal.

If you're within easy driving distance of a high-crime area, you're potentially at risk.

Crime can occur anytime, anywhere. One of the things they taught me in boyscouts was "always be prepared" and that has stuck with me to this very day. A gun in my house doesn't do me a lick of good if I'm attacked in a parking lot or while walking down the street. The guy threatening to stick a knife into my chest isn't going to wait ten minutes while I run home and get my pistol. Again, as I said before, it's up to the OP to decide what is right for him given his circumstances, situation, and values/beliefs. However, it pays to be prepared and he deserves to have access to the knowledge that Cleveland is not a safe place, and it is possible/plausible that the crime from Cleveland can and will periodically spill into nearby areas.
Well then your statement is applicable to any area, including Mentor. No need to single out Cuyahoga County as a whole when there are parts of it that are much better than parts of Lake County (and other area counties).

Old 01-23-2009, 10:50 AM

1,009 posts, read 875,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Well then your statement is applicable to any area, including Mentor. No need to single out Cuyahoga County as a whole when there are parts of it that are much better than parts of Lake County (and other area counties).

The way I see it, being in the lion's den is always more dangerous than being outside of the den, but the lion can roam far and wide in search of prey. Crime can happen anywhere, anytime, but it is far more likely to occur in some areas as opposed to other areas.

Old 01-23-2009, 02:53 PM

Quote:
The way I see it, being in the lion's den is always more dangerous than being outside of the den, but the lion can roam far and wide in search of prey. Crime can happen anywhere, anytime, but it is far more likely to occur in some areas as opposed to other areas.
Again, I agree with your general statement, but I also think that parts of Cuyahoga County (like Chagrin Falls, Moreland Hills, Pepper Pike, Solon, Orange, etc.) are further from the "lion's den" then places like Willoughby, Eastlake, and even Mentor.

Old 01-23-2009, 04:15 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Again, I agree with your general statement, but I also think that parts of Cuyahoga County (like Chagrin Falls, Moreland Hills, Pepper Pike, Solon, Orange, etc.) are further from the "lion's den" then places like Willoughby, Eastlake, and even Mentor.
Agreed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland