Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2007, 01:09 PM
RES RES started this thread

34 posts, read 154,127 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are considering moving from San Antonio to Cleveland. I am originally from Pittsburgh but have never been to Cleveland.

Husband would be commuting to downtown. I am a photographer and would love to have a single family residence or a multi family residence that could accomodate a photography studio and possibly my mother-in-law. We have 4 children and would like an older not "cookie cutter" home in a safe area with good schools. Home range about $150-$250K.

Is it legal to live in one part of a multi family home and run a photo studio out of another section of it?

Thanks!

Renee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2007, 06:33 AM

I've been looking into Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights. We want an older home--love the feel and chracter of theem--that is a multiproperty for my mother in law who needs assistance but can't live "with" us. We are supporting her financially.

Didn't want to bias the responses by saying where I was looking, but what do you think?

Old 01-30-2007, 10:00 AM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
Shaker is good due to the rapid (Cleveland's term for our rail system) which has two lines from Shaker Ending in downtown, with transfer service to the Airport. There are also many multi unit homes and duplexes in the area. Crime is really not too bad, but is at its worst in areas near the Cleveland border. The schools are pretty diverse and are good, meaning if you kids do their work they can expect a quality education. Shaker taxes are the killer though, but you recieve lots of city services in return. Cleveland Heights is pretty much the same except no rail, but extensive bus service. The area bordering Cleveland here has a high cencentration of college students and young professionals.

As far as the studio I can't really help. Is it just a place you will be taking pictures or will you be taking pictures and have a shop for selling pictures and things like that? Check out the forums section of Urbanohio.com. There are people there from all fields and walks of life that probably have some good advice for you. Good luck!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:58 AM

Thanks, MABcle. I would be taking photos there and doing my photoshop work, but would not be selling photos off the walls like a gallery. I will concentrate on the side farthest from the city border.

Taxes are high here too. I just want to get something in return, so that is good to know. We used the Metro (subway) a lot when we were in the DC area, it is a great convenience.

I appreciate the reply and hope to at least visit soon!

Old 01-31-2007, 04:07 PM

11 posts, read 39,608 times
I think Lakewood would be a good choice to the West and Cleveland Heights to the East. Depending on how far you'd like to go there are tons of very good choices. Medina County has some good communities and homes in the price range.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:29 AM

80 posts, read 344,650 times
Default Recommend Shaker Heights

Hi there,

For good schools in a safe community in that price range, and an easy commute (by road or rail) to downtown, I recommend Shaker Heights. There are plenty of single families, duplexes, or multi-families in a range of housing styles and the city is very friendly toward home-based businesses. (www.shakerworks.org (broken link) and www.shakeronline.com plus the Heights Regional Chamber of Commerce at hrcc.org).

The Sussex area is great for kids with some lovely homes in your price range and close to the Van Aken Rapid line, shops, playgrounds and preschools.

If your kids are older, it's also useful to be closer to the schools (high school and the Onaway and Woodbury elementary schools) in the Fernway neighborhood.

Good luck!

Old 02-26-2007, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 19,414 times
I'm not an expert on Shaker, but doesn't seem like you can get much there for $150 to $200K. Yes, they have many homes with character, but they're not cheap. I'd really be skeptical about any homes in Shaker in that price range.

Cleve Heights is cheaper and has lots of older homes. Taxes in the heights are high. Good location and close to downtown. This is also a busy, urban area, schools have had issues. I don't know about crime here, but check into it.

I agree with the comment on Lakewood, lots of older, well-built homes, still reasonably priced. Whereever you are in Lakewood, you can most likely walk to get coffee, drinks or food. Have a friend that bought and fixed up a home in Lakewood. Lakewood has the added feature that its very close to downtown and to the Lake for summer walks! Schools? I don't know. I haven't heard about any major crime there. My friend and his 2 kids have been living there for a few years. It is a busy area though, but I suppose you could find a quiet street.

You might also consider Willoughby. This is a Lake County town on the east side that has had a recent resurgence in their little downtown. Nice place to live and decent home stock, definitely homes in your range. There are many nice neighborhoods in walking distance to the little downtown. There are a few galleries, bars, and restaurants in the town. Schools are decent and the area is safe. This also puts you close to mentor for shopping and about a 20 min drive to downtown Cleveland via route 90.

If you haven't checked it out, there is a state rating system for schools. I don't have a link, but go to the state of ohio website and search for school ratings.

Old 02-27-2007, 09:32 PM

27 posts, read 227,393 times
Lake county is a nicer place for families than the heights. Perhaps consider Solon, Aurora, Streetsboro?

Old 03-05-2007, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 60,585 times
Lakewood is a good choice, you can easily find a multifamily home for that price or a single. dont know about the legal issue though. Lakewood is very artsy, lots of cool little stores all around town. Homes are for the most part from the early 1900s, definitely not cookie cutter. Lots of trees and greenery and of course the lake is close by. Very safe area and close commute to downtown.

Old 03-07-2007, 08:44 PM

11 posts, read 65,194 times
your best bet would be to move to the north canton area if at all possible. they have great schools and is only about 45 minutes to cleveland. lakewood is a very artistic community near cleveland, but the schools are getting much worse up there from what i have heard. the cost of living up near the lake is going to be considerably higher, so moving down near the akron/canton area might be the best bet. i am from the canton area and in the arts myself, so i hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: