Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:17 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Hi All,

I grew up in Shaker, so I am very familiar with the Cleveland area. My husband and I are thinking of relocating back for the sake of our children. We want them to enjoy a sense of community, city pride (even though others make fun of it ), sports teams, strong schools, beautiful suburbs, and all the other things that make Cleveland memorable to those who have lived there/grown up there. We currently live in FL, so most think we are nuts to consider it; however FL is transient, and there is not much hometown pride etc here. Plus, while the sun and sea are fantastic, I think a change of season is good for the soul (especially for children) Oh, and our school systems here are below average.

Since I have been gone over 15 years, what are the best areas for 30 something couple with children? We are looking for strong schools, accessibility, tree lined neighborhoods, affordable housing (200-350K), activities for us and for our children.

I was thinking Chagrin Falls (I love that place), Geauga County, MAYBE Shaker again, but it's not the same as I remember it to be, and the taxes are outrageous. Also, Pepper Pike, Beachwood, Mayfield Heights?
I'm not as familiar with Lakewood, Bay Village, Rocky River, Westlake etc, so any info would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and a sidebar...anyone else leave for a long time, have nicer weather where they are, and decided to return to Cleveland? (Just looking for a little camaraderie to prove to myself I'm not nuts) LOL

Thanks!
I favor Chagrin Falls, actually my favorate town in NE Ohio and I was fortunate to live there for 4 years. Schools in the area are one of the best rated in the state. The downtown is wonderful and a world of it's own. Taxes are a little high(mine were $12k/yr in '04) and housing is expensive because of it being such a desirabile area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2009, 05:58 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,995,060 times
for 12k a year, you must have lived in a McMansion

Old 01-25-2009, 07:06 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,393,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Very expensive area and was a nice house. Fortunately I sold it before the downturn.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:28 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
Actually, Shaker has very high taxes. They spend 15K per student per year in the school system. The majority of the prop taxes go to the school system. On a 300K home, you'll expect to pay 10K in taxes. Their residential effective rate is 99.58, so much higher than most other Cuyahoga areas (aside from Cleve Heights, University Heights and S Euclid/Lyndhurst) Mainly the lack of industry in those areas (they are mainly just burbs) causes the tax rates to be much higher to designate the type of money they want in the schools/infrastructure etc. Solon, on the other hand (and as example) has a lot of industry (Solon Road), so the taxes are considerably less and so on.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,508 times
LewLew - I know it has been quite some time since your last post, but I am interested to know what you decided. Having just moved back to the Cleveland area from Florida, my husband and I are also trying to decide which neighborhood fits us best.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:46 AM

35 posts, read 144,235 times
Depending on where you want to live and how far you want to drive... here are my eastside suggestions. As previously stated: Mayfield Hts/ Lyndhurst/ Beachwood... Good schools. Lots fo young families with children. Good verity of shopping available. Close to Rt 271. Quick access(via 271) to 422, 480, 90 & 2. Ave. income for areas- $30 to 60K. Low crime.
Chagrin Falls is very charming, but can be more pricey for the square footage. Very good schools. Shopping is limmited. Freeway access- none.
Chesterland & Chardon: Small, charming communities. Good schools. No freeways. Shopping with-in reason. (Major stores 15 to 30 mins) Very low crime.
I hope this helps.
And as far as coming back from a warm climate... I lived in the bay area for a while. It took some adjustment to get used to not having the ocean right there, but that was the biggest adjustment for me.
Good luck

Old 02-05-2010, 01:07 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,343,188 times
jmhm: we chose Shaker. WE are very happy. I grew up in Cleveland, and in Shaker...so I knew what I was getting and what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland