Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 5,234 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are moving to Cleveland...We would like to know where people in their mid-twenties like to live. Right now we live in a loft apt in downtown Boston, we like to be "close to the fun." (But in a safe neighborhood). We are looking at a (rent) price of 1000-1400 per month. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 02:32 PM

4 posts, read 24,618 times
A lot of people in their mid twenties who are renting live downtown around West 6th/9th st (Warehouse district) or in Cleveland Heights/University Heights (Near Coventry). I am sure you can find places in that price range there, and they are fun places to go out.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:42 AM

93 posts, read 644,229 times
For your price range you could pretty much live anywhere! They are building new condos downtown, I like Stonebridge Apartments, they have a new commercial that says 50 cents out of every dollar you pay in rent goes towards a condo. They are super nice apts. They are right in the heart of downtown, a walk to the flats and warehouse district in the summer. Down side is you would have to deal with traffic, unless you work down there too. Lakewood is a fun place to be now too. Its on the westside of cleveland, but it is much cheaper. The street Detroit has a bar on every corner is seems like. Also there is the coventry area in Cleveland Hts on the east side. Its a strip of bars and coffee houses right by some colleges so you have a bunch of college kids hanging out around there.

Old 03-02-2007, 06:32 PM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
Yea...people are living in the downtown lofts but in my opinion, they are very overpriced for the amenities (or lack of) nearby. Cleveland is still trying to create a liveable downtown culture. For my money (or yours for that matter), I would go to the Tremont/Ohio City area. You just need to know where the grim areas are...

But this place is much more authentic and interesting. Also Lakewood is awesome. Basically an old streetcar suburb from te 20s (sans streetcars )Lots of great little locally-owned shops/eateries.

Hope this helps.

For the money you're willing to spend on rent, you could buy an awesome old Victorian house in Tremont/Ohio city or Lakewood.

Good luck.

Old 03-04-2007, 04:17 PM

484 posts, read 1,944,623 times
I'm from Boston, and I'm also considering Cleveland, specifically Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, and Beachwood. Would an interracial couple have problems there?

Last edited by Hatless Wonder; 03-04-2007 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-04-2007, 06:51 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,344 times
Interracial couples would definitely not have a problem in the Heights (as the area that includes Shaker Hts, Cleveland Hts, etc is known) Most of the eastern Cuyahoga county 'burbs are liberal and accepting, so you don't have to worry about that.

To the original poster: Downtown in the Stonebridge complex of new condos and apartmenst you'll be near the Warehouse district entertainment area, fourth street with House of Blues, The corner Alley a new Bowling alley-Martini bar-restaurant concept as well as many restaurants, The Tower city mall and all three of the City's major league sports. You should also look into Ohio city and Tremont as those areas are gentrifying the most and close to the "action".

Old 03-05-2007, 09:35 AM

14 posts, read 70,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenileigh View Post
My boyfriend and I are moving to Cleveland...We would like to know where people in their mid-twenties like to live. Right now we live in a loft apt in downtown Boston, we like to be "close to the fun." (But in a safe neighborhood). We are looking at a (rent) price of 1000-1400 per month. Thank you SO MUCH for your help!!!!!
I lived in Stonebridge and loved it. As others have mentioned, it is near the warehouse district which is cool.

If you are looking for a place right in the warehouse district, I would recommend Bingham or Bridgeview. Both are very nice buildings (loft style), in your price range.

Old 03-05-2007, 11:01 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,592,213 times
While the heights are *well* known for diversity... Watch the property taxes which are killer. Should not be a big problem for renters but heads up. It IS built into your rent. You just dont see it directly.

be careful in OH City/Tremont. Goes from nice gentrified to felon neighbors in a matter of blocks and is rather patchwork where it is nice where work has been done. Schools are a problem in OH city and Tremont as that is City of Cleveland and the schools are not good.

Old 03-05-2007, 06:42 PM

10 posts, read 60,621 times
I live in lakewood, and have lived here since i have been 21. Great fun area, close to lots of bars, lake and metroparks. Lots of things to do in walking distance, and lots of young people who live here. Very safe area, little to no crime.

Old 03-06-2007, 10:19 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,899,018 times
I'll second that Steph...

I've lived in Lakewood for 10 years and my wife was born and raised here. It is by far the best inner-ring suburb of Cleveland. Close to the city, close to the lake, close to the metroparks, safe, good schools, lots of eateries and pubs, freeway access, great old homes, lots of apartments, huge trees...on and on.And I think it will actually get better over the next decade. There are four new elementary schools being built, a new library addition, new, modern condo/townhouse complexes, etc...

I'll be moving to Austin, Tx in September and while I'm very excited about that, we will be very sad to leave Lakewood. We've always maintained that if we're living in Cleveland, we'll be in Lakewood.

Last edited by Yac; 03-07-2007 at 03:10 AM.. Reason: Links removed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland