Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 05:53 AM

60 posts, read 111,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Y'all can have your opinions thats fine I just think that Cleveland is one of the 5 worst cities in the countries.Yeah the suburbs are pretty good but some are starting to get bad.I lived in Euclid Ohio for most of my life and my mom lived there for 44 years so we know what we are talking about when we say Euclid is bad.All of the buisnesses are moving away from 185th.Medic drug store,Maxims which had been there for 50+years.The only stores that are around there are dollar stores.And what about Euclid's school system.Use to be one of the best in the country now it is all Academic Emergency and Academic Watch.So I definetly know what I am talking about when I talk about Euclid.
i am with you i live here also and at times i think why did i make the move from the westside here. in a period of 5 years i have seen it turn around dramatically. it is sadd but anywhere is adanger zone,,, they even closed down a church st roberts because alot of people are moving away and joining other congragations. I am looking to move as we speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 12:47 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,631,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge Camargo View Post
i am with you i live here also and at times i think why did i make the move from the westside here. in a period of 5 years i have seen it turn around dramatically. it is sadd but anywhere is adanger zone,,, they even closed down a church st roberts because alot of people are moving away and joining other congragations. I am looking to move as we speak.
I actually don't live in Euclid right now,but I was born and raised there for most of my life.I still like Euclid and like visiting the town when I come back to Ohio,but there is definetly some problems there.I don't think Euclid is one of the worst places in the country,but its seeing some rough times right now.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:32 AM

980 posts, read 1,141,688 times
Question Crime?

Major Findings of The Color of Crime -- Second, Expanded Edition (2005)

The Color of Crime

Race, Crime, and Justice in America
Second, Expanded Edition, 2005

[Go to the site for the free PDF version]

Major Findings:

Police and the justice system are not biased against minorities.

Crime Rates

Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Interracial Crime

Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty-five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.

Gangs

Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs. Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.

Incarceration

Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.
Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This begs the question, if The Justice System isn't biased against Minorities, then what the heck is going on?

Old 08-09-2008, 05:56 PM

6 posts, read 36,098 times
Crime In Cleveland Is High But So There Is Crime Everywhere And It Isn't Like Akron's Crime Isn't High It Is. To Me Though Since I've Lived In Cleveland All My Life The Streets Don't Bother Me Because You Get Used To Them And That's The Same As Any Other City If You're There Long Enogh You Get Used To The City. Don't Think You Can Walk Down Any Street By Yourself An Be Safe. Some of 'Em Is St.Clair a.k.a "Tha St.Clair Thugz", E.55th, Notre Dame, E.30th, Euclid Down In East Cleveland, Brightwood, Rockwell, Slavic Village Area, Garden Valley Projects, Kinsman, Da "HVD" a.k.a Harvard, Wasteland/Waste 5 a.k.a 105, Da LVC/Lakeview Click on 123rd, 123rd and M.L.K, DTW/Down Tha Way, Up Tha Way, Parkwood, 117th, Superior, Hough a.k.a Hough Heights, 70th to 79th a.k.a "7 All", Quincy Just to name a few.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:56 AM

52 posts, read 161,767 times
The "findings" you are quoting are published by a white supremacy group.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
Major Findings of The Color of Crime -- Second, Expanded Edition (2005)

The Color of Crime

Race, Crime, and Justice in America
Second, Expanded Edition, 2005

[Go to the site for the free PDF version]

Major Findings:

Police and the justice system are not biased against minorities.

Crime Rates

Blacks are seven times more likely than people of other races to commit murder, and eight times more likely to commit robbery.
When blacks commit crimes of violence, they are nearly three times more likely than non-blacks to use a gun, and more than twice as likely to use a knife.
Hispanics commit violent crimes at roughly three times the white rate, and Asians commit violent crimes at about one quarter the white rate.
The single best indicator of violent crime levels in an area is the percentage of the population that is black and Hispanic.

Interracial Crime

Of the nearly 770,000 violent interracial crimes committed every year involving blacks and whites, blacks commit 85 percent and whites commit 15 percent.
Blacks commit more violent crime against whites than against blacks. Forty-five percent of their victims are white, 43 percent are black, and 10 percent are Hispanic. When whites commit violent crime, only three percent of their victims are black.
Blacks are an estimated 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white than vice versa, and 136 times more likely to commit robbery.
Blacks are 2.25 times more likely to commit officially-designated hate crimes against whites than vice versa.

Gangs

Only 10 percent of youth gang members are white.
Hispanics are 19 times more likely than whites to be members of youth gangs. Blacks are 15 times more likely, and Asians are nine times more likely.

Incarceration

Between 1980 and 2003 the US incarceration rate more than tripled, from 139 to 482 per 100,000, and the number of prisoners increased from 320,000 to 1.39 million.
Blacks are seven times more likely to be in prison than whites. Hispanics are three times more likely.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This begs the question, if The Justice System isn't biased against Minorities, then what the heck is going on?

Old 08-17-2008, 12:01 AM

3 posts, read 10,050 times
Maybe I'm lucky but I've lived in the Cleveland area for all of my life and have never experienced any crime or have been a victim of. The only suburb I've lived in is Strongsville. And I live in University Circle, which still counts as it is in the inner city but I have been all around this city in its nooks and crannies. I do agree that people should at least give the city a chance, because I've walked down St. Clair, day and night numerous times. My point is it can be dangerous and at times it's not just like any other city I've been to, including New York.

Old 08-17-2008, 10:10 PM

9 posts, read 36,910 times
I am moving to Cleveland next week and had some questions.

Since I have no car I will be traveling using the public transportation. When I am out I will mostly be going to college campuses in North Ohio.

What areas should I avoid? Is the public transportation safe?

I will need to bring my laptop bag with me and for trips to say Toledo I was planning on doing some work on the train. When walking around Cleveland and/or on the train would this be a target for criminals?

I do not want to make assumptions about the city but want to go prepared. I have worked in NYC with no problems and have used the subway system. I do not think Cleveland has anything extensive like NYC but do not want to be too trusting in a new city and end up out a laptop, phone, cash, etc.

Any information is appreciated!!!

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,252,334 times
If you have common sense you're fine--meaning keep an eye on you're laptop, probably pretty similar to NYC. I ride the RTA everyday on what is probably considered the rougher part of town and I haven't had any problems to report. Of course always be vigilant, but there's no reason to be worried. Cleveland has a lot to offer and I think you'll enjoy it.

The train to Toledo would be Amtrak

If you're comfortable in Jersey and NYC, you'll be fine in Cleveland.

Last edited by costello_musicman; 08-17-2008 at 10:46 PM..

Old 08-17-2008, 11:59 PM

9 posts, read 36,910 times
which sections should I avoid, be more vigilant and which are considered safer and more friendly to a younger mid-20s crowd?

Old 08-19-2008, 01:26 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,892,198 times
If you want to see how dangerous Cleveland is, here is a link:
Ranking of least, most dangerous cities - USATODAY.com

As you can see out of 371 cities (every city in the US over 75,000) Cleveland was the 7th most dangerous, thats pretty bad. The previous year it was the 12th most dangerous. It was the 10th most dangerous this year. These are based on morgan quintnos rankings.

However, it seems to be improving now as our homicides are way down from last year. The other crime are about the same, but still we are improving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland