Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 01:27 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
For whatever it's worth, the majority of the support for most of Cleveland's cultural institutions and sports teams has been coming from the suburbs for decades now. That's how they've all survived (and in many cases, thrived). If they had to depend only on the residents of Cleveland proper, they'd have been in deep trouble years ago.

The link you posted, while completely true, doesn't nearly present the whole picture. Cuyahoga County, with roughly 1.4 million residents, has a lower poverty rate than a lot of big cities of comparable size (geographic and population). I hate to go here again, but Phoenix, a city almost identical in population to Cuyahoga County (and close enough in geographic size), has higher unemployment and poverty.
Please provide websites with this data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 01:41 AM

422 posts, read 1,271,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
First of all, people leave cities they love. It's called, COLLEGE and JOBS.
Lastly, your first comment makes no sense b/c the majority of Clevelanders can easily go to a play and the orchestra. That is the silliest arguement I've ever heard. Every city will have it's fair share of people who don't have a pot to p*** in, but that doesn't make up the entire demographic of a city.
I'm done arguing with you. It's obvious that you have not one ounce of common sense in you, and you are merely coming to this post to TROLL.
Wow! More insults and in capital letters. I won't stoop to your level, the readers can figure out for themselves who and what you are. How very rude of you.

This is a public forum and everyone is free to contribute. If you don't agree with my posts than don't read them and don't respond to them.
Simple, isn't it?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:26 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Wow! More insults and in capital letters. I won't stoop to your level, the readers can figure out for themselves who and what you are. How very rude of you.

This is a public forum and everyone is free to contribute. If you don't agree with my posts than don't read them and don't respond to them.
Simple, isn't it?
Yes it is simple. It's interesting that you think I'm insulting and that your posts are merely informative opinion. I'll leave it at that. I think I was very nice, and trying to answer your banter of the "prove it to me attitude". I realize we don't all have to agree. I'm fine with your opinion. You were the one who wanted to be proved wrong, and asked for someone to do it. Please read your own previous posts. I have no issue that you don't like Cleveland. I won't change your opinion, and you won't change mine.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
You live near Tuscon, beyond that it doesn't matter and I don't care. (Go Wildcats, though!)

I'm just trying to make a comparison because you've set up some arbitrary debate about the "greatness" of certain cities. If I'm off-base, then please enlighten us, what makes for a "great" city?
Notice that the question has been avoided.

Old 02-05-2009, 07:47 AM

Here are some other positive facts regarding Cleveland and why lots of people choose to stay.
Northeast Ohio ranks fourth in corporate headquarters

Posted by Tom Breckenridge/Plain Dealer Reporter January 12, 2009 00:01AM

Categories: Economic development, Real Time News
Amid the depressing news of layoffs and company shutdowns, comes this surprising bit of uplift -- our region is a stalwart when it comes to the number of corporate headquarters.
ANOTHER ARTICLE
As a travel writer, one of my niches in recent years is going to the U.S.'s most misunderstood cities. I can tell you a lot of reasons why you would want to visit Indianapolis, Indiana, for example, though I draw the line at Dodge City, Kansas (unless you are an afficionado of thrift shops).

OK. No one goes to Kansas or Cleveland for the climate, so I will say that's a drawback. But I hope my experience gives me some credibility when I say (excuse the cliché) this is nothing short of a great city. Consider this: University Circle alone has the greatest concentration of museums, medical, educational and cultural institutions you'll find anywhere in the United States...
University Circle, named after a trolley car that made its turnaround here, is just one square mile in size or approximately 550 acres. So you can walk everywhere. Cleveland, of course, overcame a highly competitive group of cities to land the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum
But 50 yards away, and a walk in the rain, there's also the Great Lakes Science Center (GreatScience.com or 216-866-4506) overlooking Lake Erie. With 400 hands-on educational displays, it succeeds in its goal to make science fun. Its one of America's largest interactive science museums. You could spend days there. Residents I met (often defensively) also point out that Cleveland has cheap housing, proximity to even better places such as Chicago, a more laidback pace of life than New York City, virtually no traffic, great public facilities and an excellent library system. And with its array of top-notch medical facilities such as the Cleveland Clinic, it's one of the best places in the world to get sick, even if you don't live here.
While cities like Chicago are seeing increases in violent crime, Cleveland’s violent crime has declined by 14% over the last two years.

Notice the numbers...Cleveland not on there, but AZ has 2 of the highest crime rate cities in the country!
Worst Medium Cities for Crime (200,000-500,000 pop.)

On the other hand, the South seems to be particularly challenged with crime:
  1. Myrtle Beach, SC
    Myrtle Beach has the highest total rate of crime in the nation, due to a high rate of violent crime and the nation's highest rate of property crime. In particular, the rates of assault, burglary, and larceny are particularly high.
  2. Montgomery, AL
    The murder rate is significantly high in Montgomery, as are the rates of robbery, burglary, and larceny.
  3. Laredo, TX
    While the larceny rate is high in Laredo, residents can take comfort in the relatively low rates of murder and forcible rape.
  4. Waco, TX
    Like Laredo, violent crime is less of a concern in Waco than property crime. In particular, burglary and larceny are a problem.
  5. Wilmington, NC
    Wilmington has the second-highest rate of burglary in the country. On the other hand, the rates of forcible rape and assault are low.
Worst Large Cities for Crime (>500,000 pop.)
  1. Tucson, AZ
    Tucson has one of the highest property crime rates in the country, especially larceny. On the bright side, Tucson has a low murder rate.
  2. Memphis, TN-AR-MS *
    Residents of Memphis contend with the nation's second-highest violent crime rate. In addition, the rate of robbery and burglary are among the nation's highest.
  3. Miami, FL
    Miami's violent crime rate is the highest in the nation, with especially high incidences of robbery and assault. Thankfully, the murder rate is relatively low.
  4. Phoenix-Mesa, AZ
    Phoenix-Mesa has one of the highest rates of auto theft in the nation.
  5. Little Rock-North Little Rock, AR
    The Little Rock area has a high rate of property crime, especially larceny.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:31 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,980,195 times
hey lewlew, how long have you been back in Cleveland from Florida? Where are you living?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
hey lewlew, how long have you been back in Cleveland from Florida? Where are you living?
My family all still lives there, and has for nearly 80 years. I am not yet back. Been back lots of times to visit, but not currently residing there.
I am sure everyone will tell me how much it's changed, and I am sure some for the better and some for the worse. I still have lots of friends there, and everyone is very happy with the area.
We'll be on the East side, probably either Pepper Pike, Shaker Heights, Solon, Beachwood or Orange Village.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:11 AM

don't you think you should leave it to the clevelander's to do the posting? granted, you have a lot of friends here that are happy but how can you possibly assess on their opinions... Cleveland has some very good points and some bad ones... imo, let the main guys do the posting (traveller, cleveland17, wesohood, etc) I am not bashing cleveland at all, i actually like it here. Except for the taxes and weather, all would be great!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:24 AM

May I ask why you are singling me out? xwideopenskyx doesn't live in Cleveland either, and most of my posts were giving "facts" not opinions on the Cleveland area. I don't think that requires someone to be currently living there. I think it's an unfair request truly. I lived in Cleveland for 20 years of my life, and have visited zillions of times. My entire family still lives there, we own a family business there and have for over 45 years, my family are teachers in 2 different area school systems and have been for over 30 years. I guess that doesn't entitle me to form my own knowledge and opinions of the area? hmmmmm?

Old 02-05-2009, 09:32 AM

i am not singling you out.. several posts of yours imply that you are here and have been for many years (our city..our this.. our that..etc)... you mention that you have travelled all over the place and haven't lived here for 15yrs... when you are again a resident, then you can express your facts..(incidentally what facts do you have?). for now they are merely opinions...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland