Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 07:47 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,390,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
One other thing I forgot about. Here in FL (not sure about SC, but I know NC has them and GA) we have CDD fees. I lived in a neighborhood in Jacksonville where the CDD fees were 2000 per year and could potentially go up. (CDD is community development dues). If you lived in a condo in there you paid 200 per month HOA, and 200 per month CDD. So, even though FL doesn't charge city tax (income tax at all for that matter) you still have those charges on top of mortgage payments. Any gated community or "subdivision" here in FT Myers charges them too. My mother's condo association fees are 1100 per quarter! Thus, no matter how you slice it, unless you live in an unrestricted part of a county/city, they are going to get you somehow. (CDDs are line items on tax bills, but I do understand that HOAs are not) NC charges state income, personal property tax and CDD fees. Thus, it can all be relative in the grand scheme of things for most people.
I live in Charlotte and there are city, state,personal property tax but I never heard of CDD. I live in a subdivision that has HOA to pay for ammemities($900/yr).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 09:45 PM

422 posts, read 1,271,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I don't disagree with you, but xwideopenskyx wasn't informing people. It was an attempt to antagonize. If xwideopenskyx was merely giving data it would have been given, and point made. Instead it was constantly "show me, prove to me, don't you have data, com'on com'on" Very different from someone offering a statistical negative view of the area. xwideopenskyx was in Cleve for nearly quarter of a century (25 years) My guess is that those 25 years (or close to 25 years) were the first 25 years of xwideopenskyx's life. I can sense a certain "thank God I'm grown up and not there anymore" attitude that you wouldn't necessarily get from someone who might have been there for the middle 25 years of their life. Those people tend to be more rational regarding an area ESPECIALLY if they were consciously spending 25 years there, and not forced to b/c they were underage and not able to move out on their own and leave. I'm not ignorant to think Cleveland is a utopia at all. I just think there are more mature ways to debate the subject. I also believe that it takes a certain maturity to analyze data and not take it at a black and white numbers perspective.
Your guess is wrong and you make too many assumptions. An intelligent person would inquire as to why someone would feel blessed to have moved out of Cleveland. But you seem to know it all and it is easier for you to try to insult people who don't agree with you. So be it.

Soon enough you will find out on your own. Please share with us the numbers of local residents that will react surprised about your move.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:15 PM

256 posts, read 736,163 times
when I was back in 07 I found quite alot of people who loved it there, REALLY.
One would have to be brain dead not to see that that the area is in bad shape financially. Honeslty, if I was beamed there and did not know where I was, I would have thought I was in a third world country. The roads are deplorable, business after business was shutting down. I was in Giant Eagle off of Broadview road in Parma and 2 weeks later it was gone. This was happening alot.
But, I do not think that all is lost for Cleveland. Their still is a lot of good there and hopefully the potential to turn things around. I know this will not be tomorrow.
I am living in San Diego right now and there is a serious water shortage here and talk of mandatory rashioning.

hmmm...wonder where you can find clean water?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:58 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Your guess is wrong and you make too many assumptions. An intelligent person would inquire as to why someone would feel blessed to have moved out of Cleveland. But you seem to know it all and it is easier for you to try to insult people who don't agree with you. So be it.

Soon enough you will find out on your own. Please share with us the numbers of local residents that will react surprised about your move.

Good luck to you.
Anyone who will be truly surprised by my move will have never lived in FL, only vacationed there. I was never trying to insult anyone. Please see your earlier posts and the negative tone you brought to the post. Perhaps I made too many assumptions regarding you, but I am highly confused as to your need to prove how bad it is there. You've left.

Old 01-30-2009, 06:01 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I live in Charlotte and there are city, state,personal property tax but I never heard of CDD. I live in a subdivision that has HOA to pay for ammemities($900/yr).
The difference there is that you pay to an association, and it's not a line item on your tax bill. Be careful as HOA's have a tendency to rise at much quicker rate than CDD fees. Essentially they are the same. The difference with a CDD is that it's normally imposed at the onset of a community. It stays around for somewhere between 13 and 20 years. Basically, a developer will impose it as an infrastructure management fee. Thus, the CDD is covering a lot of the new roads, underground utilities, etc. If your community is brand new, there probably wasn't the need to completely overhaul the area. If your community is over 10 years old, then the very initial infrastructure was covered by the developer or the city/county and not passed the residents. CDDs are relatively new things.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 40,886 times
Default I'm here for the long haul.

I am 52 years old and grew up in Wickliffe. I lived in Cleveland Heights for three years in the early seventies but came back to Wickliffe in 1975 (it's a long story, off-topic for this thread). Stayed in Wickliffe 24 years, then moved to Fairport Harbor in November 1999 (the story behind why I left Wickliffe is also long and OT). It took me my entire first year here just to get settled in my apartment, and another two years to get used to living in a village, as opposed to a suburb of a large city (Wickliffe's population is approximately 13,500; Fairport Harbor's is 3,220, so you can see what a come-down this was for a lifelong big-city guy like me to come to a small town--but I like it anyway; if I didn't, or didn't think I would, after all, I wouldn't have moved here in the first place). I have been told that life in a village is somewhat different from life in the suburbs (I found that out in short order after moving here), but once I got used to it I liked it. Fairport is just far enough away from Cleveland (33 miles east) to suit me to a T, as I came here to escape the so-called "hustle and bustle" of the suburbs. I do feel isolated at times, but I manage to keep in touch via e-mail with a couple of old friends I grew up with in Wickliffe (I see one of them at least once a year), and I have a friend in University Heights I call on the phone every now and then (we also watch Browns games on TV together, will probably watch this year's Super Bowl). I am also an amateur (ham) radio operator (was first licensed almost 37 years ago) and a member of the Lake County Amateur Radio Association (LCARA), but I don't get to the meetings very often, especially in the winter, as I don't like going very far from home after dark. Oh well. With the longer days of summer, maybe I can get to those meetings again as I did some years ago. Perhaps then I won't feel so isolated as I do now.

I'm not a red-hot sports fan, but I am disappointed that the Browns haven't yet been in the Super Bowl. I can see why. The last few seasons have been disasters for them under Romeo Crennel. I hope the new coach (for the life of me I can't think of his name as I write this) makes the changes necessary to transform the Browns into a team Cleveland, northeastern Ohio, the United States, and the NFL can be proud of. The team has been on this dark dead-end road paved with disasters long enough--too long, actually, IMHO.

I have learned to turn a deaf ear to the so-called "Cleveland bashing" that's been going on for over thirty years; I don't believe any of it anyway. I was born in East Cleveland, raised in the Cleveland area and intend to stay here, in Fairport Harbor, as long as possible.

In answer to the question posed in the title of this thread, I'm a-stayin'! I honestly don't think I would be happy living anywhere else. As I said, it took me a long time to get used to living in a village as opposed to a suburb, but believe me, it's been worth it. Shucks, even my landlord wants me to stay here in this apartment building, so I must be doing something right.

Kind regards,

Jeff Strieble
Fairport Harbor, Ohio USA

Old 02-02-2009, 01:07 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwideopenskyx View Post
Why don't you move to the city of Cleveland instead of a cushy burb and tell me how great it is.
Why don't you move to the crappy parts of Mesa or Tuscon and tell me how great it is? Oh, and do it without air conditioning.

What a silly line of argumentation. Someone refutes your points and you can't handle it so you move the goalposts.

Why don't you just get over the fact that people find happiness and success in Cleveland?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasey77 View Post
Honeslty, if I was beamed there and did not know where I was, I would have thought I was in a third world country. The roads are deplorable, business after business was shutting down. I was in Giant Eagle off of Broadview road in Parma and 2 weeks later it was gone. This was happening alot.
I can see how some parts of the area might lead one to feel that way. But what about if you were beamed to Gates Mills, Chagrin Falls, Moreland Hills, Hunting Valley, Pepper Pike, Solon, Orange, Shaker Heights, Bay Village, Strongsville, Westlake, etc.?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:32 PM

82 posts, read 285,342 times
Originally Posted by Kasey77
Honeslty, if I was beamed there and did not know where I was, I would have thought I was in a third world country. The roads are deplorable, business after business was shutting down. I was in Giant Eagle off of Broadview road in Parma and 2 weeks later it was gone. This was happening alot.

This is ridiculous. Have you ever been to a third world country. Nothing anywhere in Cleveland, not even the worst parts even comes close. This post is so ridiculously overdramatic. One Giant Eagle closes and you think this is a third world country or even just a bad neighborhood. Most areas of Cleveland and it's suburbs are in decent condition, just because you have potholes during the winter does not make it third world.

And in this economy tons of business's are closing so apparently you would consider NYC a third world country. I get your point about it not being the nicest place you've ever been to, but your post is way overdone.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pgserge27 View Post
Originally Posted by Kasey77

This is ridiculous. Have you ever been to a third world country. Nothing anywhere in Cleveland, not even the worst parts even comes close. This post is so ridiculously overdramatic. One Giant Eagle closes and you think this is a third world country or even just a bad neighborhood. Most areas of Cleveland and it's suburbs are in decent condition, just because you have potholes during the winter does not make it third world.

And in this economy tons of business's are closing so apparently you would consider NYC a third world country. I get your point about it not being the nicest place you've ever been to, but your post is way overdone.
Not to me it wasn't and I have been to several third world countries. It was not only one store, it was many, giant eagle, marcs, ,many shopping malls were empty, downtown was boarded up, the streets looked ravaged. Ridiculous is not being honest.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 AM

[quote=Clevelander17;7288617]Why don't you move to the crappy parts of Mesa or Tuscon and tell me how great it is? Oh, and do it without air conditioning.

What a silly line of argumentation. Someone refutes your points and you can't handle it so you move the goalposts.

Why don't you just get over the fact that people find happiness and success in Cleveland?

I can see how some parts of the area might lead one to feel that way. But what about if you were beamed to Gates Mills, Chagrin Falls, Moreland Hills, Hunting Valley, Pepper Pike, Solon, Orange, Shaker Heights, Bay Village, Strongsville, Westlake, etc.?[/quote

did not go to the east side. But, IMO, the Bay, Westlake, Strongsville looked economically hurting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland