Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 09:32 AM

7 posts, read 96,181 times

Advertisements

Cleveland is one of the places my husband can relocate to. I would like info about nice towns around Cleveland within a 30/ 40 min. drive, and where we can buy a nice house with a good size yard for about 300 to 400's k. Also would like to know how is the market for jobs around that area.
We are a christian/jewish household and we celebrate both religions, a lot of people told me that the towns around Cleveland are very religious. Is it true? Are we going to feel a little bit as outsiders for not being religious christians?
Also how is the nightlife in Cleveland? We really don't go out at night much, but would like to know that we can if we want to. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2006, 08:11 AM

1 posts, read 17,305 times
Default Subs in Cleveland

Cleveland Heights is one of the finest subs in the Cleveland area. There are many Jewish temples and schools for you as well. If you want more information go to their website at http://www.clevelandheights.com and there you will see a sampling of the homes and communities.

DMB

Old 11-06-2006, 05:31 AM

627 posts, read 2,849,612 times
Orange, Concord or Kirtland Hills are very nice areas as well.

Old 11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
HAS

106 posts, read 593,127 times
Thumbs up Hello...

Hello, and welcome (in advance) to the Cleveland-area!

There are plenty of nice, family-oriented suburbs around Cleveland.

I personally live in Painesville, which is in Lake County. Of course I suggest this to everyone, because I just love it here! We're only about 25-35 minutes from Cleveland, but the area is completely different from the big-city-atmosphere. I would never call it the "country," but rather a nice little suburban town.

We're also close to Mentor (not sure if you've heard much about that town ) which is becoming another larger city, meaning we have close access to entertainment, shopping, etc. without needing to go all the way to Cleveland all the time.

The schools here are great (in Painesville Township, NOT Painesville City) and you can find amazing houses in your price range with lots of yardage.

I'm not really too sure about the job market here. Honestly, not many people actually work in Painesville. Most commute to Mentor, Cleveland, and Euclid.

As for the types of families you'll find here, I'm sure you would find quick friends. People here are generally quite religious. There are also plenty of churches around here, so I'm sure you could find one to your liking and also find lots of friends within it.

Nightlife in Cleveland is great as well, but, like I said, we try to stick to Mentor for small weekend things because it's so close and is honestly becoming just like a mini-Cleveland.

Anyways, just ask if you've got any questions. I'd be happy to answer...and good luck with your move!

Old 11-06-2006, 08:33 PM

18 posts, read 119,800 times
Try Hudson. Great schools. Lovely community. High taxes.

Old 03-04-2007, 07:13 PM

1 posts, read 17,251 times
Default Some parts of OH AREN'T welcoming to non-Christians...

I don't know if you have moved yet, but I would say your friends are right--there are definately towns where your kids will feel left out for not being Protestant or Catholic. I grew up in Tallmadge (really more suburban Akron), daughter of a Jewish mom/formerly Catholic dad, and it was kind of challenging to me not be a non-Christian. My sister and I definately felt different from other students. We faced a lot of ignorance from teachers and students alike (not such a big deal--how were they supposed to know anything about Jews growing up where they did? Seinfeld and Woody Allen can't teach one everything!) and also anti-Semitism from other students. There were other students in town who had one Jewish parent, but they took pains to hide that fact so that no other students would know that. Even if you are not raising your children to identify solely as Jews (or identify as Jews at all) I imagine that you don't want them to learn to be ashamed of their Jewish heritage.
This school experience was completely different from that of my friends in more religiously diverse suburbs--they didn't experience anti-Semitism or feel left out from the mainstream culture to the same extent.
I don't doubt that other suburbs around Cleveland with extremely low or non-existent Jewish populations are similar to Tallmadge--like Painsville, Parma, Maple Heights, etc. are dissimiliar. For the emotional and mental well-being of your kids I would stick to suburbs with at least a small Jewish population, which includes (I think) Shaker Heights/Beachwood/Pepper Pike/Solon/Orange/Hudson/Twinsburg. Cleveland, University, Mayfield, and Euclid Heights also have Jewish populations but I don't know how large their public school Jewish student populations are, as these are older less wealth suburbs and Cleveland Jews have been migrating further and further away from the city. Basically you need to take the town's racial, religious, and ethnic composition into consideration, and recognize that the Midwest is unfortunately still an area where anti-Semitism is one of those nasty "isms" that still exists.
Good luck!

Old 03-04-2007, 08:48 PM

332 posts, read 2,252,344 times
I agree with whats been said, but will add that I don't think you all will feel out of place not being very religious. Its not like everyone looks at you sideways because you missed church. That said Beachwood, North east Shaker Heights, University Heights and South east Cleveland Heights have very high concentrations of jewish families. All these cities are close to shopping, entertainment and downtown.

Old 03-09-2007, 08:08 PM

80 posts, read 344,774 times
I am in a mixed Jewish-Christian marriage also and the Eastside suburbs (Shaker Heights, Solon, Orange) definitely have the best mix of good schools and cultural diversity. You should find a home in that price range with a good size yard in either Solon or Orange school districts (Pepper Pike is nice). Don't move to Cleveland Heights, its Jewish population has mostly headed out to Solon/Orange and taken the temples with them!

Old 03-12-2007, 05:09 PM

62 posts, read 326,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chartbury View Post
I am in a mixed Jewish-Christian marriage also and the Eastside suburbs (Shaker Heights, Solon, Orange) definitely have the best mix of good schools and cultural diversity. You should find a home in that price range with a good size yard in either Solon or Orange school districts (Pepper Pike is nice). Don't move to Cleveland Heights, its Jewish population has mostly headed out to Solon/Orange and taken the temples with them!
If true, does the departure of some Jewish population to Solon, Orange, provide that its time for the fat lady of Cleveland Heights to begin to start singing?

Last edited by bakkam; 03-12-2007 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 10-06-2007, 09:37 PM

61 posts, read 234,393 times
solon,twinsburg,parma heights,beachwood,lakewood,cleveland heights,euclid
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: