Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 01:18 PM

1 posts, read 3,317 times

Advertisements

I am relocating to Shaker Heights with my family. Can anyone from that area give me honest advice about the schools, crime, taxes and any other usefull information. Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 02:53 PM

155 posts, read 458,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ybroker View Post
I am relocating to Shaker Heights with my family. Can anyone from that area give me honest advice about the schools, crime, taxes and any other usefull information. Thank you in advance.
I have lived in Shaker for the last 9 years, and previous to that in University Hts for 5 years. Honestly, I wouldnt live anywhere else in the Cleveland area.
We have 3 kids, 2 in elementary school, and the schools are top notch. It was the primary reason we moved from UH to SH. Of course we could have moved to Mentor or Solon, or some other outer burb but we already liked the feel of the Heights as it was. Generally these are older homes, circa 1910-1930, and require a bit of upkeep. I dont mind that stuff. The homes have plenty of character. The neighborhoods are already established, there is no danger of a WalMart plopping down anywhere near. And the people are wonderful. Active with the schools and positive in general.
And you will hear it all over, taxes in the Heigts are high. No doubt. Highest in the state. But I feel I get my moneys worth with great services and great schools. I am close to downtown. I am close to the rapid.
Certain parts of the area are more prone to crime. And by crime I mean theft. So dont leave your car unlocked in the driveway over night. Some goofball will rifle thru it. Violent crime is not really an issue.
Got to get back to work, please post any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:43 PM

1,023 posts, read 3,330,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF667 View Post
I have lived in Shaker for the last 9 years, and previous to that in University Hts for 5 years. Honestly, I wouldnt live anywhere else in the Cleveland area.
We have 3 kids, 2 in elementary school, and the schools are top notch. It was the primary reason we moved from UH to SH. Of course we could have moved to Mentor or Solon, or some other outer burb but we already liked the feel of the Heights as it was. Generally these are older homes, circa 1910-1930, and require a bit of upkeep. I dont mind that stuff. The homes have plenty of character. The neighborhoods are already established, there is no danger of a WalMart plopping down anywhere near. And the people are wonderful. Active with the schools and positive in general.
And you will hear it all over, taxes in the Heigts are high. No doubt. Highest in the state. But I feel I get my moneys worth with great services and great schools. I am close to downtown. I am close to the rapid.
Certain parts of the area are more prone to crime. And by crime I mean theft. So dont leave your car unlocked in the driveway over night. Some goofball will rifle thru it. Violent crime is not really an issue.
Got to get back to work, please post any specific questions and I'd be happy to answer.
Where in Shaker do you live? Mercer, Sussex, Onaway, Boulevard, Lomond, Fernway? I think the area most prone to crime is the southwest corner bordering Lee/Chagrin and East Cleve correct? We found some homes in the Sussex area we love. I didn't love the Mercer area as much as there isn't the character in much of it. I grew up in Shaker, so I have a very high opinion of the area. We were told constantly about the taxes, but the cost of the house makes that all relative really. We were also told that there was a lot of segregation, but I remember Shaker being pretty diverse and everyone interacted for the most part. Thanks for any additional info.

Last edited by LewLew; 02-04-2009 at 04:56 PM..

Old 02-05-2009, 10:53 AM

155 posts, read 458,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
Where in Shaker do you live? Mercer, Sussex, Onaway, Boulevard, Lomond, Fernway? I think the area most prone to crime is the southwest corner bordering Lee/Chagrin and East Cleve correct? We found some homes in the Sussex area we love. I didn't love the Mercer area as much as there isn't the character in much of it. I grew up in Shaker, so I have a very high opinion of the area. We were told constantly about the taxes, but the cost of the house makes that all relative really. We were also told that there was a lot of segregation, but I remember Shaker being pretty diverse and everyone interacted for the most part. Thanks for any additional info.
We live in Fernway.
Shaker does not border East Cleveland. South of Chagrin Road nearer to Lee is more questionable. I would fathom most rentals are in this area.
In Shaker you can get plenty of house for the money, but as you allude to it is offset with taxes. Many folks like the Solons/Mentors with 300K houses and low taxes. It evens out and just depends on what you like.
I like it here.
Racially, the balance at the schools is about 35% Black/65% white (plus asian, indian, & whatnot smattered in). But the neighborhoods are not largely segregated for the most part. What to do...

Old 02-07-2009, 06:24 PM

171 posts, read 443,674 times
Default Just moved to Shaker

We moved to Shaker last year and we love it. The schools are top notch, especially the high school. The High School will have a IB program next year along with the elem and middle which will be the only one in the state. We went to high school orientation last week and we were suprised by the amount of non-Shaker school district/but live in Shaker parents. A lot of kids go the private route k-8 and then go to Shaker Heights. That says alot. Why pay $6,500 - $15,000 a year for high school to go to OSU when you could do the same for free. Over 28 AP classes. Yeah there is petty crimes but in the Fernway neighborhood the neighbors watch your back. Great neighborhood with lots of young familes with kids. I love watching the kids WALK to school w/o all of the mini-vans.

Old 02-08-2009, 03:13 PM

570 posts, read 1,815,975 times
I also live in the Fernyway neighborhood and it is excellent. I don't have any children, but I love watching the families out with their strollers and dogs. Shaker is pretty safe for the most part. As already mentioned, be aware of your surroundings in the Lee/Chagrin area.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:01 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,879,959 times
The schools are great in Shaker Hts. Crime is pretty low and you shouldnt have to worry about it too much. The taxes are pretty high though.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:24 AM

16 posts, read 34,567 times
Default another view...

Shaker is fine community but avoid if you are NOT a liberal as residents think that the road to salvation is via regulation and taxes. City government is intrusive when it comes to your home. They actually inspect the outside of your home and send you a letter with a "list" of things that need to be fixed. Most are petty and add little value if any to a property, but sure does employ many in city hall. Shaker residents, being liberal, think that this actually improves the overall value of the housing stock. This is laughable to say the least, and the section 8 rentals that are springing up all over the city are proof of the failure. Also, real estate taxes are the highest in all of Ohio and will weigh on the value of your house. There is little value in buying a house in Shaker unless you appreciate the old homes, which many do and are willing to pay for. As to the schools, the racial mix is about 50/50 and is tilting more minority every year. For the amount of money the schools spend, the test scores of the minority students are barely better than districts that spend considerably less, but liberals love to think otherwise. Taxes next year will be going up again to fund the schools. As to the IB, another dream cause of liberals....read more here about it: [SIZE=3]Truth About International Baccalaureate.

So Shaker is a unique place, but it comes at a very high price in terms of taxes and is run by liberals. If you can deal with the philosophy that the few know more than the many, then you'll certainly feel right at home in Shaker.
[/SIZE]

Old 04-05-2009, 12:32 AM

405 posts, read 1,208,793 times
Those evil "liberals" you speak of are the ones that preserved one of the nicest municipalities in the country when the rest of the people were fleeing to cardboard boxes in the hills. Now you may return to your regularly scheduled Rush Limbaugh programming...

Section 8 all over the city? Maybe in some parts, but show me a Section 8 rental ANYWHERE near the Shaker Lakes (or anywhere north of S. Woodland for that matter).

The city is very left-leaning, but I know some conservatives who live there as well and have very few complaints (and no, I won't paint them with the "evil brush"). The property taxes are high, but IMO it's a small price to pay for a beautiful city with great public schools, rapdi transit access to the city, and very conveniently located to many of Cleveland's best amenities.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:36 AM

405 posts, read 1,208,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyF667 View Post
no danger of a WalMart plopping down anywhere near.
Where do you ever shop!?!?!? The horror!!!! What next, you're going to tell me you don't even have a McDonald's to satisfy your discerning taste buds?!?!?!?!

The sad part is, many people don't understand why we love our local eateries, hardware stores, etc. A transplant from the outer suburbs, I love this area and can't imagine living any further from the city. Life is just a lot more bland out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland