Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 11:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,531 times

Advertisements

I was born in Euclid and lived there for 13 years and now live in Colorado. People tell me I have an accent all the time, so I guess Clevelanders have an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 11:56 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,026 times
It varies. I am not from Cleveland - but have lived here for a bit now. Most Eastern Europeans - or 'traditional' Europeans have a VERY midwest accent. The rest are pretty similar to say California or Maryland or Virginia (although I can distinguish the differences myself)

CTownNative - Accents are all relative. To other areas -- Clevelanders certainly have an accent. It's the fact that people from the area believe they don't because of the News channels.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:34 PM

1,373 posts, read 3,126,019 times
Yeah it's a bit like Noo Yawk.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:43 PM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times
I'm from Cincinnati but attend school in Toledo and can definitely identify the "Great Lakes" accent among my friends from SE Michigan, Toledo and Cleveland. It's a bit Canadian sounding with the "oh" and "aw" vowels. Nothing like a New York accent though.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:13 AM

6 posts, read 27,441 times
Red face accent?? what accent

i grew up near Cleveland in bedford 2 years, maple heights 2 years. and 11 years in Twinsburg and moved to Stow lived there for 5 years til my brothers and sisters moved out, then my parents and i moved to Massillon for 5 years but i stayed for 18 months and i then moved to key West, Fl for 20 years and am moving back. to Cleveland.
i never knew i had a Cleveland accent until i moved to Key West, Fl, everyone thought i was from Boston, Mass/ Mariland area. now after 20 years in Fl, my family thinks i have a subtle accent., more like W. Virginia/Carolina/ Georga. i guess how i pronounce words like instad of 'thing' i would say 'thiang', ect.
so, i sound strange to my family as my family sounds strange to me.
acually i can't hear any accent.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:21 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,832 times
Every region has an accent of sorts. The question is, do they have an obnoxious one? Unlike others, I would have to say that the Cleveland/Chicago/Detroit/Buffalo accent is among the least obnoxious.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 59,352 times
Yes, Cleveland has an accent. The accent is shared with cities along the great lakes including Chicago, Toledo, Cleveland, Buffalo and Rochester. The accent has been called "The Northern City Shift" and has only come about since the 1950's. You hear this more in younger people than older and you hear it much much more prevalent in young women than men. I moved here from Pittsburgh and noticed it right away (Pittsburgh also has it's own accent, yins!). It is a long A sound like bus = bAs and god = gAd. some girls are pretty bad with it. you don't hear it as much with men. find out more here:

Northern cities vowel shift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
American Accent Undergoing Great Vowel Shift : NPR
Do You Speak American . Sea to Shining Sea . American Varieties . Midwest | PBS

Old 03-31-2009, 11:05 AM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
Every region has an accent of sorts. The question is, do they have an obnoxious one? Unlike others, I would have to say that the Cleveland/Chicago/Detroit/Buffalo accent is among the least obnoxious.
If you're talking about Dennis Kucinich or Barack Obama, sure. If you're talking about the fat lady in the Tweety Bird coat eeeasking for a refund at Parmatown, I'm not sure it gets much worse.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,213,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I never thought I had an accent until I moved away from NE Ohio - I now live in GA. Now, I can spot an NE Ohio accent a mile away (although it's really not easy to differentiate from Detroit or Buffalo). When I talk to my brother in Cleveland, I think "geez, he sounds like a Clevelander." Everyone at work (which includes people from all over the country) makes fun of how I say the names "Don" and "Donna", and they really laugh when I say the word "pop!" It is sort of a "clipped" vowel sound that is hard to describe. Google "northern vowel drift" or "Great Lakes accent" for some interesting articles.
It always amuses me when people from the South make fun of our "accent".

And, no, accents are not relative. There is an accepted American English dialect, and an accent is anything that differs from it. Supposedly, the area from Canton to Youngstown has the least accent of any in the country, and as you move closer to the lake (Cleveland, Erie, Chicago, Toledo, etc.) you pick up the Great Lakes Accent, which is not very noticable but definitely a small vowel shift. If someone from the South thinks you sound like you're from Boston or Chicago (which sound NOTHING alike) it's simply because they are so used to hearing a Southern drawl that they just recognize you are not from the South.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:48 PM

4,649 posts, read 4,970,102 times
Youngstahn has the least accent of anybody in the country? That's a pretty shaky assumption. I can pick out a Youngstown accent (Jim Tressel, James Traficant, every high school football coach in the Mahoning Valley) out a mile away.

And a lot of northerners get Southern accents, such as, say, East Texas and West Virginia, mixed up, when Southerners hear those accents as not remotely alike. It's the same phenomenon, it just depends on where you're standing. Or, in other words, accents are relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland