Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 07:29 AM

62 posts, read 325,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincimaster View Post
Salary wise I will be 20 % higher in Cleveland. Now my question is is this increase worth looking at the cost of living and weather
Money aside, if the company (for example: its one of the best companies in the country or the world ) or the position (for example: you jump from an replaceable employee to management or from management to executive level) will significantly add to your career, then I would begin considering this option, otherwise, it may not be worth it. Of course, this is only my opinion given the small info you have provided. Let us know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2007, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
If I decide to move out of Cincy, which is a definite possibility at some point, I want to head west, probably to the Pacific Northwest. It's difficult for me to imagine any circumstances under which I would move back to Cleveland.
Well said. Why Pacific Northwest over southwest or south or southeast?

Old 03-30-2007, 08:03 AM

Default Hospital ranking or reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
the 3rd ranked hospital system in the nation,
From a patient perspective, people must understand that a high ranking does not guarantee or translate to better quality healthcare in all areas of medicine. Within this context, the rankings are misleading for some. Some Clevelanders could probably ratify or elaborate on this.

Example from experience: A university may be highly ranked. But a group of faculty members for a group of students could be poor at this highly ranked university.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:47 AM

174 posts, read 589,032 times
Default re: rankings

"people must understand that a high ranking does not guarantee or translate to better quality..."

You're stating the obvious.

Rankings are a listing of items in a group according to a system of rating or a record of performance. Of course a high ranking doesn't guarantee anything, however, it certainly could be used as a criterion in an evaluation.

Old 03-30-2007, 09:53 AM

332 posts, read 2,247,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakkam View Post
From a patient perspective, people must understand that a high ranking does not guarantee or translate to better quality healthcare in all areas of medicine. Within this context, the rankings are misleading for some. Some Clevelanders could probably ratify or elaborate on this.

Example from experience: A university may be highly ranked. But a group of faculty members for a group of students could be poor at this highly ranked university.
OK, but people (not you) like to post and post whenever Cleveland is the worst at something or near the top of a negative list (Do those list mean anything? I realize it all has to be put into context, you may get bad care by some staff at the clinic, when others may get excellent care. The same goes with crime, where there may be a high crime neighborhood, there may also be a very safe one down the street. Context.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:48 PM

146 posts, read 787,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakkam View Post
Well said. Why Pacific Northwest over southwest or south or southeast?
The Pacific Northwest would be my first choice because of its temperate climate and natural beauty. I hate cold/snow and heat (especially if its accompanied by high humidity), and I prefer cloudy days over sunny days, so places such as Seattle (which I fell in love with when I vacationed there several years ago) are ideal for me. The place which, IMO, has the best climate in the U.S. is Eureka, CA (272 miles north of San Francisco), where the average high for its coldest months (Dec, Jan) is 55 and the average high for its warmest months (Aug, Sep) is 64...now that's temperate!

Old 03-30-2007, 04:35 PM

332 posts, read 2,247,599 times
Though I've never been there the beauty of the "Emrald city" and that region in general is undeniable, but as for the temperatures, its true we get cold which I don't like, but deal with, but give me those 90 degree days with humidity anytime!

Old 03-31-2007, 06:04 AM

Default Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subway View Post
The Pacific Northwest would be my first choice because of its temperate climate and natural beauty. I hate cold/snow and heat (especially if its accompanied by high humidity), and I prefer cloudy days over sunny days, so places such as Seattle (which I fell in love with when I vacationed there several years ago) are ideal for me. The place which, IMO, has the best climate in the U.S. is Eureka, CA (272 miles north of San Francisco), where the average high for its coldest months (Dec, Jan) is 55 and the average high for its warmest months (Aug, Sep) is 64...now that's temperate!
I have heard good things about Seattle from literature of my profession. Seems like you have done your due diligence.

Old 04-02-2007, 08:21 AM

Default Ranked Hospitals

Quote:
Originally Posted by newt View Post
"people must understand that a high ranking does not guarantee or translate to better quality..."

You're stating the obvious.

Rankings are a listing of items in a group according to a system of rating or a record of performance. Of course a high ranking doesn't guarantee anything, however, it certainly could be used as a criterion in an evaluation.
Exactly, the ranking should be used as an initial criterion for deciding which hospital system to go with. There are many other more important factors that should be included in the decision process when a patient chooses a hospital system or specifically the doctor.

One of the criteria being the length of the appointment slot that is assigned to the doctor to see a patient. Patients should ask is the doctor getting 10, 20, 30 minutes consultation time for each patient, I think. Medical treatment is kinda different from going in for an automobile oil change.

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center's tag line is choose a system as if your life depended on it or something like that. I think UPMC is quite correct about it.

My two cents

Old 04-04-2007, 03:22 PM

41,740 posts, read 74,721,167 times
The cost of living in Cleveland vs. Cincinnati isn't that bad. Don't sweat that.

Yes, you'll have to get used to just a little more snow. But the streets departments are so much more competent. But ... schools and businesses don't close when there's "only" 6 inches of snow on the ground, and being afraid of driving in the snow is not a valid reason for missing work.

What else is different (I've lived in both places)? A slightly faster pace, self-deprecating sense of civic humor, ethnic neighborhoods. The east vs. west side mentality is there -- that and the bizarre workings of the city council just might make you feel right at home, LOL.

You'll also have to get used to living along beautiful Lake Erie. That's what I missed most when I moved from Cleveland area to Cincinnati. The first summer I lived in Cincinnati I thought I was going to die of heat prostration! You might enjoy the breezy summer days on the beach. Which is much nicer than The Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland