Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 05:12 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,918,593 times

Advertisements

rockriver,

There are many things in your post that are inaccurate. Where should I start.

Cleveland is not all horrible, there are still a few decent neighborhoods. Shaker Heights is nowhere close to being ghetto or scary at all, and its not hard to get to. Theres no freeway, but there is the RTA lines and plenty of convenient major roads in and out of Shaker Hts. Little Italy and Ohio City are both very diverse neighborhoods, theres more than just gay men and asians. The majority of people in those neighborhoods are neither of those.

Im not sure about that largest Section 8 housing comment. If your talking about Lakeview, I believe that Cedar Estates, Longwood, Garden Valley, Outwaithe, Woodhill, and maybe more, are all around the same size or larger than Lakeview. I could be wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 12:03 PM

4,652 posts, read 4,968,796 times
I say live in the Warehouse District downtown, especially if you're willing to spend semi-freely on rent. I can tell you more about it if you want.

And yeah, another vote for Shaker Heights being a great place. People have been saying it's being "swallowed up by the ghetto" for like 35 years now.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:34 PM

50 posts, read 134,150 times
Rocky River, Bay Village, Westlake, Avon, Avon Lake are all nice places.
May I ask why you are moving here? Most people want to leave. High crime, extreme poverty, a dead downtown, bad schools. My husband works downtown and in seven years his car was broken into 5 times.

Old 04-01-2009, 07:21 PM

1,975 posts, read 5,210,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangy View Post
May I ask why you are moving here? Most people want to leave. High crime, extreme poverty, a dead downtown, bad schools. My husband works downtown and in seven years his car was broken into 5 times.
Pure nonsense. Metro Cleveland's crime, poverty, and schools are no worse than anywhere else. Look up the stats. Also, there is plenty to do downtown.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
My parents have worked downtown for 25 years and haven't had their cars broken into once, but I don't go around saying Cleveland is paradise.

Perspective is always necessary.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:28 PM

50 posts, read 134,150 times
My husband works on Carnegie and yes his car has been broken into 5 times. As for fun things to do downtown I have lived here for over 40 years and we do have baseball, football and basketball teams, a Rock & Rock musuem but walking downtown, or shopping downtown well there isn't much. Chicago, Boston, Seattle have great alive downtowns, Cleveland no.
If you want to do some serious cloths shopping it's NY or to Chicago for the latest syles and trends.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:40 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,407 times
Of course Cleveland isn't NY or Chucago. But there is plenty to do downtown (a lot of great restaurants and nightlife, and one of the best theater districts in the country in addition to the amenities you mentioned). Also, the cost of living is incredible when compared to those other cities. You get quite a bit of bang for your buck.

As to a car being broken in 5 times, it's unfortunate. Where on Carnegie do they work (there aren't many businesses on Carnegie downtown)? Are they leaving valuable items visible in the car?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:34 AM

Quote:
My husband works on Carnegie and yes his car has been broken into 5 times. As for fun things to do downtown I have lived here for over 40 years and we do have baseball, football and basketball teams, a Rock & Rock musuem but walking downtown, or shopping downtown well there isn't much. Chicago, Boston, Seattle have great alive downtowns, Cleveland no.
If you want to do some serious cloths shopping it's NY or to Chicago for the latest syles and trends.
You have to understand that the smallest of the cities mentioned, Seattle, is still like 70 percent larger than Cleveland (Metro area population). Cleveland holds its own against cities its size, such as KC, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, Orlando, and San Antonio. Of course you have to go to NY or Chicago for "the latest styles and trends," but not everyone needs to have that at his doorstep.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:30 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,384,807 times
I reread these posts several times looking for the 'bigoted' comments about gays. The moderators must have pulled them because their is nothing here that even remotely suggests something like that. Is Cleveland known for this kind of hypersensitivity?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:57 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,407 times
Nope, the moderators didn't seem to pull anything. It was just me having a bad day and overreacting.

However, I still think the comments indicating that Coventry, Ohio City, and Tremont were only suitable for gays were pretty stupid, along with many other aspects of the post (Shaker Heights being scary...riiiiight). In particular, I thought the "Ohio City is gay men who rehab Victorian homes" comment was especially ignorant. Yes, it's true that Ohio City has a higher percentage of gay people than many other neighborhoods, but it's not like they even form a majority. In fact, I would say over 90% of the people in Ohio City are not gay. I spend a lot of time there and have never felt in the slightest out of place for not being gay. The comment makes it seem as if you should not move to Ohio City if you are not gay. Ohio City is a great neighborhood, and deserves better than someone from Rocky RIver (who really doesn't seem to know much about Cleveland) possibly turning people away from it.

So I guess the short summary is...bigoted, no...pointless, yes.

And even if I was hypersensetive at one point of one day, is that a reflection on the entire city of Cleveland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland