Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 06:44 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,187,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
I don't see any reason why some of the inner ring suburbs wouldn't want to be annexed by Cleveland, Especially East Cleveland. East Cleveland definetly won't be able to make it on its own so why not just merge into Cleveland.
Mostly because of schools and the negative connotations associated with the city by suburbanites. In East Cleveland's case, the City of Cleveland probably does not want it - just another run down hood to maintain.

I definitely think Cuyahoga county needs to consolidate many of the local governments, but I doubt that will ever happen. The best thing Cleveland can do is improve its neighborhoods and try to make the city more attractive to new residents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 01:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,879,959 times
The only suburb that wouldnt go downhill fast if annexed by Cleveland, is East Cleveland.

Even suburbs like Newburgh Hts. or Cuyahoga Hts. would be much worse off if annexed.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:24 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,351,797 times
note: if cleveland merged with the suburbs of cuyahoga county, the city of cleveland would become the 7th. largest city in america overnight. this would allow millions more in extra dollars from the feds just based on size and population... however, i dont think it would ever happen because of schools and polititians of the suburbs who would never give up their power . corruption runs too deep in cuyahoga county as evidenced by the feds on-going raids/investigations.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:27 AM

405 posts, read 1,208,793 times
Toronto did this to become one of the largestg cities in North America. It would be possible to keep separate school districts even if the cities merged.

A huge advantage of merging, other than being available for many more federal funds available only to cities with over 500,000 people, would be that the dubious distinctions of being one of the most dangerous and one of the most poor cities in the country would instantly go away. We would actually be in the top half of wealthy large cities overnight if we regionalized. So much for those pointless statistics.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:11 AM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
The only suburb that wouldnt go downhill fast if annexed by Cleveland, is East Cleveland.
Why? I've asked this before, but about Youngstown.

When people brought up "inferior" city services on a different forum, my answer was this: (keep in mind, this is about Youngstown, Cleveland might have different issues)
Quote:
Any deficiencies there might be in city services is mostly because the city is cash-strapped due to a shrinking tax-base. That's also why the income tax is so high. If Boardman and Austintown were suddenly annexed, the city's population would be doubled, so the income tax could be lowered, and there would be enough money to run city services. Additionally, suburban property taxes would drop because the services they're used to fund (like police and fire) would now be funded through the income tax.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:14 AM

405 posts, read 1,208,793 times
Additionally, some people who work in the city but live in a suburb pay municipal income taxes in both places. This would lower their tax burden by about 2% of their income.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Why? I've asked this before, but about Youngstown.

When people brought up "inferior" city services on a different forum, my answer was this: (keep in mind, this is about Youngstown, Cleveland might have different issues)
Other than the obvious reasons.

One minute youll be living in the suburb of Rocky River, and the next youll be living in the city of Cleveland.

Who knows, maybe everything would work out though.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:39 PM

5,494 posts, read 9,431,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
Other than the obvious reasons.
Like what? To me, the obvious reasons would be the belief that services would deteriorate. But, I addressed that. (sort of)

Quote:
One minute youll be living in the suburb of Rocky River, and the next youll be living in the city of Cleveland.
This is what I don't understand. Why does a change of mailing address make such a difference?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 AM

980 posts, read 1,139,365 times
More of the same stupid crap. Take money from people (burbs) that are doing o.k. and pour it down the toilet bowl

Old 04-10-2009, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR_C View Post
Like what? To me, the obvious reasons would be the belief that services would deteriorate. But, I addressed that. (sort of)

This is what I don't understand. Why does a change of mailing address make such a difference?
I dont know how all the city service/school district stuff would work out. If they could keep them separate I think it would be a lot better off unless the city of Clevelands services gets a lot more money and improves dramatically. Again, Im not exactly sure how all of that would work out though.

Everybody doesnt think the same way as you. It would be a huge deal for a lot of the suburbanites to live in the "City of Cleveland" instead of a suburb.

Some wont mind it, but Im sure that others will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland