Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 12:34 AM

42 posts, read 145,225 times

Advertisements

Passing on Rocky River would be a grave mistake--maybe even literally so considering some of the other options you listed.

North Olmstead is a symbol for everything that's wrong with suburban sprawl and the cheap, drab housing that comes with it; you'll probably get shot in most places you go in Lakewood, though it's slowly starting to come around; Beachwood is the home to a sizable population of fake, consumerist w-h-o-r-e-s (lots of ugly strip malls and awful traffic because of that); Willoughby...just no.

Also try looking at Coventry (on the east side of Cleveland)--it's what Rocky River (on the west side) wishes it could be.

Both River and Coventry are overflowing with character, culture, and beauty. And while they're fairly close to downtown Cleveland, they're also both very safe communities.

As far as I'm concerned, those two are your only options. The good news is you can't go wrong with either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:13 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,489,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhalun08 View Post
Passing on Rocky River would be a grave mistake--maybe even literally so considering some of the other options you listed.

North Olmstead is a symbol for everything that's wrong with suburban sprawl and the cheap, drab housing that comes with it; you'll probably get shot in most places you go in Lakewood, though it's slowly starting to come around; Beachwood is the home to a sizable population of fake, consumerist w-h-o-r-e-s (lots of ugly strip malls and awful traffic because of that); Willoughby...just no.

Also try looking at Coventry (on the east side of Cleveland)--it's what Rocky River (on the west side) wishes it could be.

Both River and Coventry are overflowing with character, culture, and beauty. And while they're fairly close to downtown Cleveland, they're also both very safe communities.

As far as I'm concerned, those two are your only options. The good news is you can't go wrong with either.
Housing stock in North Olmsted is quite nice. Most houses are decent size, built right after the war, and have pretty big lots. We have almost none of the cookie cutter mansions of places like Strongsville, Olmsted Township or Brunswick. The sprawl is pretty much confined to the area in and around the mall, and is only stores you really need. For example only one Wal-Mart, one Giant Eagle, one Marcs, etc. The traffic has a decent flow as well, its not like Strongsville where 71 by the mall will even back up for half an hour, and its about to get worse as the Best Buy and all that open up.

Pretty much agree with your assessment of the other burbs, (love River!) but I would take River over Coventy any day of the week. Coventry is full of fake people who thing they are changing the world because they have one black friend.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:25 AM

42 posts, read 145,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YaFace View Post
Housing stock in North Olmsted is quite nice. Most houses are decent size, built right after the war, and have pretty big lots. We have almost none of the cookie cutter mansions of places like Strongsville, Olmsted Township or Brunswick. The sprawl is pretty much confined to the area in and around the mall, and is only stores you really need. For example only one Wal-Mart, one Giant Eagle, one Marcs, etc. The traffic has a decent flow as well, its not like Strongsville where 71 by the mall will even back up for half an hour, and its about to get worse as the Best Buy and all that open up.

Pretty much agree with your assessment of the other burbs, (love River!) but I would take River over Coventy any day of the week. Coventry is full of fake people who thing they are changing the world because they have one black friend.
Hahah! I've never gotten that impression because I'm only ever a visitor. My girlfriend lives on the east side (I'm on the west side); not until we started dating two years ago did I have a reason to spend a meaningful amount of time there. I love Coventry's San Francisco-esque design, the local, mom-and-pop businesses and eateries, and the air of environmental and social consciousness that spreads throughout main street. But, at the same time, I can certainly understand what you're getting at; there are also an abundance of unsavory consequences that are wrapped up in this culture--specifically, the "holier-than-thou" mentality. There is some legitimate basis for that outlook, I think (compare San Franciscans with the average, immensely exploitative, take-take-take southerner, for example), but admittedly, such dogmatic arrogance quickly wears thin. For me, though, Coventry's New Urbanist-style architecture and diverse local businesses (Tommy's and Norka Futon, for example) outweigh those peripheral annoyances. Ultimately, though, I don't think you could go wrong with either Coventry or River.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:44 PM

29 posts, read 99,729 times
Default YaFace!

YaFace, It sounds to me like your describing Strongsville, not North Olmsted! Have you seen the homes in Strongsville? A lot of the mansions in Strongsville are custom built, definitely not cookie cutter! You can't drive from I71 to the mall, and think you know Strongsville! Strongsville is a huge city, and covers over 25 square miles! The majority of Strongsville is parks, and green space, not sprawl! As for traffic in Strongsville, I have never had a problem! Strongsville has widened many intersections and roads, so traffic is not an issue! The only time there is an issue, is because people come to Strongsville that don't know how to drive!

Old 03-07-2010, 09:25 AM

2 posts, read 3,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abasi View Post
Hi everyone...still in the process of looking for an apartment. I recently saw one in NOrth Olmstead that was pretty nice. I asked the girl how far it was from downtown and she said 10-15 minutes. I'm thinking it has to be much farther especially during rush hour. Does anyone have any input?

My roommate and I are both females in our mid-20's. We are looking for something safe with some shopping and things to do nearby.

Also, any opinions on Rocky River, Lakewood, Beachwood, Willoughby?

Thanks!
North Olmsted could be as close as 15 minutes to downtown depending how close to the freeway you are. Near Clague Rd would be 15. By Stearns would be closer to 20. Rocky River is the best city on the westside, but maybe pricey- worth it if your putting kiddo's in the public school- it's the best!

Old 03-07-2010, 11:42 AM

616 posts, read 1,564,249 times
I'd also venture to suggest Tremont / Ohio City. Close to all the major freeways, shopping of all kinds (strip-mallesque Steelyard Commons to local joints)

Old 03-07-2010, 04:38 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,630,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike3440 View Post
North Olmsted could be as close as 15 minutes to downtown depending how close to the freeway you are. Near Clague Rd would be 15. By Stearns would be closer to 20. Rocky River is the best city on the westside, but maybe pricey- worth it if your putting kiddo's in the public school- it's the best!
Rocky River rentals are actually not too bad price wise. I found a nice double for $600 in my search not long ago.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:58 AM

302 posts, read 1,101,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhalun08 View Post
; you'll probably get shot in most places you go in Lakewood, though it's slowly starting to come around; .
What kind of drugs are you on? Maybe in 10-15 years when the older people pass on, and more Section 8 springs up, but not at all now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland