Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 04:38 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewLew View Post
I used to live in So Cal, and personally I think you'd like the East burbs better than the west side burbs. If you've ever been skiing in CA, you'll know what snow is. Lots of snow isn't the bad thing...Cleveland is pretty good about keeping the main roads cleared.
The gray skies are what you'll have to get used to. Sunny, snowy days are gorgeous. It's the same anywhere...if you have the right tools, you can handle anything without much headache or heartache.
Good luck to you. We are moving back, and just bought a home in Shaker Heights. (I am biased, as I grew up there...but I love that area)

The sun and snow are awesome. I just hate when it gets too bright when the sun reflects off the snow. I really like when we get a heavy snowfall, and the snow sits on the tree branches and seems to lay on everything, and it looks so nice out. I also like when we get a decent snowfall, and you walk outside, and you could be in the middle of town, but everything is really quiet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 05:44 PM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavercreek33 View Post
The sun and snow are awesome. I just hate when it gets too bright when the sun reflects off the snow. I really like when we get a heavy snowfall, and the snow sits on the tree branches and seems to lay on everything, and it looks so nice out. I also like when we get a decent snowfall, and you walk outside, and you could be in the middle of town, but everything is really quiet.
You are so right. My husband and I love to walk at night near Chagrin Falls. All you hear is really the snow flakes falling and hitting the ground. It's such a muffled quiet, peaceful sound. Have to find the beauty in everything...winter can be very lovely.

Old 04-22-2009, 06:16 AM

405 posts, read 1,213,407 times
I think winter is one of the most beautiful times of the year, until about February when it becomes mostly dirty, salty snow piled up on the sides of roads and parking lots. But around Christmas, the snow can be absolutely beautiful. It is my favorite time of the year. There is nothing like fresh snow on the trees and some Christmas decorations. I love walking around Chagrin Falls as well this time. Also, Shaker Square is very nice to walk around in December.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:20 AM

1,024 posts, read 3,342,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam40jeff View Post
I think winter is one of the most beautiful times of the year, until about February when it becomes mostly dirty, salty snow piled up on the sides of roads and parking lots. But around Christmas, the snow can be absolutely beautiful. It is my favorite time of the year. There is nothing like fresh snow on the trees and some Christmas decorations. I love walking around Chagrin Falls as well this time. Also, Shaker Square is very nice to walk around in December.
I am glad to see that some people do appreciate all each season can offer. I am on board with you though...by Feb...it's time to go. Brown sludge is not longer pretty, and the 4th cold month is starting to drain me. Just like I feel around late September in summer...give me some cooler weather already. Each season leaves just in time. :-) Except fall..that one could definitely stick around longer!!!

Old 04-23-2009, 05:47 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chipdog View Post
Thinking of relocating to the suburbs of Cleveland from SoCal. I've never lived in the snow. Just how bad is it? If there are areas that don't get as much snow, where are they and how much snow is not much?? I read on line about 16 degrees below zero and 50 inches of snow weather. Hope someone can help
I moved from Cleveland to SoCal over 20 years ago. I'm sure a lot has changed in Cleveland but still - it's CLEVELAND not that much has changed.

If you're in SoCal like me, you know, as I do that SoCal drivers don't do well when it rains. Just wait till you experience driving in snow!

The winters are dark in Cleveland - for months. Like at 4:30 pm it's pitch dark in the middle of winter.

The upside is that most parts of Cleveland are a lot classier than most places in SoCal and the people are genuine. You will have a sense of there being "real neighborhoods" and that's not something I have found in Southern Cali.

I gotta tell ya it's damn cold in the winter - don't listen to the natives on this board they've been there so long their blood is used to the "hawk that comes off the lake" and there's no temperature comparison in Southern California unless you're used to braving the cold to go skiing at Mammoth.

But overall I think moving to Cleveland from SoCal is a pretty good move (weather aside).

Old 04-24-2009, 09:53 PM

The winter is cold, but I like the variety. It's nice to come into your house and sit by the fire and warm up. There's something comforting about the winter. Yes, it gets old by the end, but then comes the spring warmup and you get a day like today (85 and sunny, and supposed to be around 80 for the next 4 days) and there's a buzz in the air you wouldn't believe. EVERYONE is outside and thrilled to enjoy the weather. By the end of the summer, people are still outside, but not as many as the novelty has worn off and you almost feel ready for the cooler weather to come again.

But yes, if you're not used to cold weather, there will be a couple months in Cleveland that will take some getting used to.

Old 06-01-2009, 02:52 PM

35 posts, read 114,303 times
Thanks for this thread! In the next year or two, my wife and I are considering a number of places in the midwest to move our family - including Shaker - from Scottsdale, AZ... most everyone thinks I'm crazy, but I've been here since I was six years old and been telling myself I was gonna get the heck outta dodge for too long now...

I found this thread while searching for just how bad the winters are, because my wife's family is in Dayton and Detroit, and they all keep telling me that I should look at S. Ohio because I won't be able to handle the winters in the Cleveland area... but Shaker seems to have most everything I'm looking for...

I told my wife I would gladly trade desert, dryness, and 7-8 months (roughly April-October) of stifling heat for seasons, trees, and four months of snow... I know it sounds odd, but sunny days depress the crap outta me... my wife thought it was so odd that no one leaves their houses here in summer... but 118 degrees'll do that!

So the consensus (at least in this thread) is that the winters can be dark and cold, and will obviously take some getting used to, but are doable and really only get terrible in the last month or two?

Old 06-01-2009, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmsi View Post
So the consensus (at least in this thread) is that the winters can be dark and cold, and will obviously take some getting used to, but are doable and really only get terrible in the last month or two?
That's my take at least. And really I would say it's only for about one month. After that you have the teaser warmup days and you're getting pretty excited for Spring/Summer. I like the beginning of winter, and although come late February, you're ready for it to be done, it sure makes Spring and Summer that much better.

Besides, one factor about the winters being cloudy a lot that doesn't bother me as much is that the days are so short anyways. In the winter months, the sun sets around 5 or 5:30 anyways, so it's not like you're missing out on a lot of outdoor activites even if it was nice outside by the time you get out of work.

Old 06-01-2009, 03:12 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,550,320 times
SoCal to Cleveland ....Are you NUTS ??? If a Clevelander responds negatively without ever being in CA they are NUTS too!

Old 06-01-2009, 03:13 PM

Right on cue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland